Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 08:41   #1

Boat: Seapiper 35
Bahama Charts

Has anyone had the experience to compare NV Charts vs Explorer Charts of the Bahamas in terms of detail and accuracy?
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 08:44   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Bahama Charts

Do a search, NV charts came up a few months ago.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:55   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I have both right here next to me, and both have excellent cartography. I've used the Explorer Charts while cruising and they are flawless, and, knowing the cartographer of the NV-Charts, I expect that they are as well. From all areas I've compared they've been accurate. They both have a lot of additional information in the chartbooks. The Explorer Charts are smaller (and "prettier" in my opinion) while the NV-Charts are full-size, and also comes with a CD and smaller "Harbour and Anchorage Pilot Book." I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you're a stickler for full-size charts or you really need the charts on CD as well, then go with NV-Charts (Explorer Charts might come with a CD now, so check before you decide). If you have limited space for your charts, Explorer may work best. Either way, have a great time in the Bahamas! (Wish I were going this year)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 12:32   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

The Explorer Charts have been the gold standard for the Bahamas for quite some time and are our choice. They have been proven over many years, so I would prefer those for the near term until the NV charts have been used and proven as reliable. The Explorer Charts also give you a great deal of information other than just a chart. That's just my opinion. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:27   #5

Boat: Seapiper 35

Thank each of you for your responses. The reason I have asked the question is that I have used Explorer Charts for years including their CD's. When I looked to renew my CD's I found that Explorer has made a deal with Jeppeson who in turn supply their charts in the various electronic formats for Chartplotters and not on a CD. I use a PC and therefore need CD's.NV supply a CD with their charts, hence my interest in NV.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 02:58   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I have both right here next to me, and both have excellent cartography. I've used the Explorer Charts while cruising and they are flawless, and, knowing the cartographer of the NV-Charts, I expect that they are as well. From all areas I've compared they've been accurate. They both have a lot of additional information in the chartbooks. The Explorer Charts are smaller (and "prettier" in my opinion) while the NV-Charts are full-size, and also comes with a CD and smaller "Harbour and Anchorage Pilot Book." I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you're a stickler for full-size charts or you really need the charts on CD as well, then go with NV-Charts (Explorer Charts might come with a CD now, so check before you decide). If you have limited space for your charts, Explorer may work best. Either way, have a great time in the Bahamas! (Wish I were going this year)
What is the file extension for the nv-charts on your CD please?
".eap" or ".kap" ?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 08:10   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Hi Thomas,

The CDs are at my office and I won't be back until after New Years. I do know that they are compatible with the following:
Fugawi
Rose Point
Memory-Map
iExpedition
iNAVX (through x-traverse)
MacENC (through x-traverse)
Stentec
Euronav
TikiNavigator
Global Mapper
OziExplorer
Touratech
Imray

I'll follow up with the ext. when I see...I'm guessing it's neither .eap nor .kap.

Happy New Year
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts