Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-01-2011, 12:31   #46

I'm gonna +1 everyone who said Steiner. I have a compact pair that cost under $200 that go hunting with me and sailing. Extremely good optics for the money and well made. One of the company's sales pitches is that binoculars are the only thing they make.

easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:38   #47

Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I just can't seem to get the images to converge. "
That sounds like they literally are BENT. Private label, off-brand, forgive me if I say "cheap" binocs are often not aligned properly. It can be the optics or the frame itself, but if they are not aligned you will never be able to align the images.

I would send them back. Preferably for a total return and refund, not just a repair. If they passed a qc test and shipped that way to start with--you don't really want to do business with that company.
I second that -- this is an alignment issue typical of cheap binos, or good binos that were damaged when someone sat on them. They're DONE. They will never be good. Return them and buy a name brand: Nikon, Fujinon, Steiner, Zeiss. (Not Bushnell, not West Marine or other "house brand".)

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:57   #48

Boat: Cabo Rico Norteast 400, 40', 'Briez'
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i carry 2 pairs,one for my self that NO ONE ELSE TOUCHES!!!!

and 1 for the crew that way you wont have to adjust them when you need them in a hurry at night or have to clean the greasy finger prints left by the last person to fiddle with them.

7x50 is powerful enough,compass useful but some times hard to read.
At the risk of introducing a little heresy here, can I just add that after years of using various binoculars (including professionally in my career) the best discovery I made recently was a pair of fixed-focus binoculars. They weren't even especially expensive - approximately 80. I am a complete convert and would even go so far as to say I consider them to be a significant contribution to safety.

No matter who picks them up, they are always perfectly focused. When I pick them up, I no longer waste time wondering if I can improve the focus by adjusting them. They are just there, always ready to use, perfectly focused! That gets around the issue of 'mine only' or 'his 'n hers' binoculars. Sure, - anything closer than about 60 feet is blurred, but hey, if you need binoculars to see something that close, perhaps you shouldn't be sailing!

I also prefer to keep the hand bearing-compass separate to the binoculars, but that's a more debatable personal preference. However, if you've not tried fixed focus binoculars, I would urge you to do so. You might be as surprised as I was.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 14:52   #49

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
We have auto focus binocs and the ease of pick up and use is a major safety bonus.
Our steel boat has lots of deviation so a hand bearing compass ( in binocs or separate) is not that much use.
I intend to make a pelorus and have found an excellent site that allows you to download a printable compass card and shows how to construct a pelorus yourself. DIY Compass Adjusting
Usual disclaimer, I have no association whatever with the company involved.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 20:21   #50

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Steel boat here, not planning to make another deviation thing for another not in my image stabilizing bino's. We do own a pelorus which is very useful.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16   #51

Boat: Islander 28
The Fujinon Polaris (>95% light, compass, 23mm eye relief, lifetime warranty) were looking very nice, but at $700+, ouch. Then I found the Steiner Commander V #392 (>96% light, compass, 30yr warranty, 22mm eye relief) for a seriously, ridiculously low price and,,, DONE DEAL!

I can't find the Steiner Commander V #392 for under $900......Where did you find them for such a low price and how much? Thanks. They sound like the right pair for me.
gathhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24   #52

Just have a pair on board and see how much you use them. That should tell you a lot about whether you should have a good pair or not.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium yacht
If you are shopping for high end binoculars (they are significantly more expensive than mid range brands, but the image quality is amazing) consider some of the non marine brands.
Leica binoculars. IMHO are significantly better than the equivalent Steiner product. At least try them before handing over the cash. I think you will find yourself saving up a bit longer.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only feature in a binoc that I find more useful than a compass is stabilation...My 12x stabilized give an image that far superior to my $1200 Zeiss pair. Nothing much else matters if the image is bouncing around...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:51   #55

Originally Posted by gathhill View Post
I can't find the Steiner Commander V #392 for under $900......Where did you find them for such a low price and how much? Thanks. They sound like the right pair for me.
I found them fulfilled by amazon for $580, new. Unfortunately, they are now $984, yikes! That's pretty wild price fluctuation. Camelcamelcamel ought to show the price history, maybe they are regularly discounted? You might add them to your wish list and keep a daily watch....

vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 22:42   #56

Check out the green line. I bought mine on Jan 23. These charts can be very interesting. Notice how 3rd party new raised their price the week before Christmas, and how amazon lowered their price.

vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Steiner makes a cheaper version, think it's called the 'Observer' though not certain as it's on the boat right now. The only obvious difference is the compass housing is not rubber coated. Otherwise, outwardly it appears to be identical. Got mine for less than $400. Might want to check into it if you like the Steiner, which I do, but not the price of the Commander
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:34   #58

Boat: next ones a cat!
I finally indulged myself, after years of putting up with cheap binoculars, last year and bout a pair of Steiner Commander XP with compass whilst visiting the USA (they were about 2/3rds aus price,after x-change rate), and they are just stunning in low light. Should have done it years ago

Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: