Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 20:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Anyone familiar with Coconut Grove-Stuart ICW?

I'm picking up a new to me boat in Coconut Grove next week, and bringing it to Tampa.

Taking a quick look at the charts it looks like going up the ICW in the Miami area towards Stuart will be a zoo, and I'm thinking of going outside.

Any thoughts or comments?
Old 12-02-2014, 20:49   #2

Boat: Various
Re: Anyone familiar with Coconut Grove-Stuart ICW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm picking up a new to me boat in Coconut Grove next week, and bringing it to Tampa.

Taking a quick look at the charts it looks like going up the ICW in the Miami area towards Stuart will be a zoo, and I'm thinking of going outside.

Any thoughts or comments?
A lot depends on what type boat you're in. Perhaps we can answer better if you share that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 21:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A lot depends on what type boat you're in. Perhaps we can answer better if you share that.
It's a Lippincott 30 and considered quite seaworthy. A lot more than me
Old 12-02-2014, 21:54   #4

Boat: Privilege P43

This time of year, it's all weather dependent and how far offshore you go. That being said the ICW shouldn't be too bad during the week. Nothing but little pink tourist on jetskis this time of year, so don't sweat it if you have to drop a few in your wake.
Fair sailing!
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 01:45   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Ive been out the inlet a few times with no problems. The fishing along that stretch rocks, Dont forget to bring the poles. Thats a leg of my annual trek from tampa to charleston and back. Last time I went nonstop from ft pierce to a little place I stop outside of stiltsville. Winds for going south are great this time of year along the coast. With the fuel costs and waiting for the timed bridges south of there I for one would definately opt for the outside.

Edit, My bad Im not familiar with coconut grove. I was thinking you were headed south. I take it your taking the ditch instead of going around thru the keys?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 03:10   #6

Boat: Sailboat

St Lucie Inlet can be difficult, get local knowledge, maybe call BoatUS or Seatow.

I would plan a one night sail outside to Lake Worth Inlet, then take the ditch from there.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 03:47   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

When are you leaving? We will be at Dinner Key/Coconut Grove area until at least next Tues then waiting for good weather to sail outside up to Lake Worth inlet. I may be easier than dealing with all the bridges and traffic in a new to you boat. We also have a 30ft hunter that is going with us so we could be a small fleet
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:34   #8

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anyone familiar with Coconut Grove-Stuart ICW?

I guess it's safer with a "new" boat to motor up and across the lake but the stretch from Miami to St Lucie annoys me no end on the ICW. It's been a bit since I made the trip but I'd bet it isn't any easier now. Definitely want to go outside for that.

Sailing down Hawks Channel and around to Tampa is a beautiful trip and would be my choice.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 05:11   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you can't motor at 6.5 knots it will be a frustrating trip up the ICW, unless you're a patient man. You have to do at least 6.5 to catch a lot of bridges. They're mostly on a schedule and every time you miss one you lose at least half an hour. Even the stretch from Lake Worth to the Crossroads (St. Lucie River) has 7 bridges.

But motoring might be better than waiting for weather. Rather than wait a week for weather you can motor from Miami to the Crossroads in 3 days, it's about 100 statute miles. And good anchorages on the way.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:18   #10

Boat: Boatless

We live and sail out of Coconut Grove and we have gone north and south many times but never inside, just too many bridges.

The edge of the north going current generated off the Gulf Stream is often within a mile of the beach so going north you stay 1-2 miles offshore and coming south there is a counter current usually within 400 yds of the beach.

In the Keys, south in Hawke's Channel and north just outside the 200 ft line.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 05:27   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I would say northbound outside is great with good weather. Leaving out of Governors Cut in Miami gives you a very short twenty mile hop to Port Everglades with an option the anchor overnight at Lake Sylvia. It's easy out there to Lake Worth Inlet and not nearly as many bridges from there up to Stuart. St. Lucie Inlet is also acceptable, but not as nice as the earlier choices.

If you cruise inside overnight anchorages are easy at Lake Sylvia, Pelican Harbor, Hobe Sound and many places up the St. Lucie River.
Old 13-02-2014, 06:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you can't motor at 6.5 knots it will be a frustrating trip up the ICW

This is true. We had to push our 30ft mono trying to make the bridges and usually failed and waiting, holding position which gets tiring. It isn't so bad from Lake Worth to Ft Pierce but you could hang out in LW for another weather window if needed.
Old 13-02-2014, 08:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
When are you leaving? We will be at Dinner Key/Coconut Grove area until at least next Tues then waiting for good weather to sail outside up to Lake Worth inlet. I may be easier than dealing with all the bridges and traffic in a new to you boat. We also have a 30ft hunter that is going with us so we could be a small fleet
I'm coming down from Tampa either on Sunday or early Monday. (I know, I'll miss the boat show, but I went last year and I can't get out of here earlier). The boat is moored at Dinner Key. It would be great to connect with you then. Gladly join the "fleet".
Old 13-02-2014, 08:25   #14

Cool. Pm myself or Shaktisboy on here. Our guests fly out Tues morning and we will look for our window after that.
Old 13-02-2014, 14:11   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I forgot to mention a favorite and usually empty anchoring spot for us. If you decide to come in a Lake Worth Inlet (West Palm Beach) and take the ICW north from there, there is a good spot in North Lake Worth just a bit due west of green marker #9.

Tags
icw