Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Re: Anybody have waypoints for passes through the Belize barrier reef?

Actually you may want to think twice about converting that track to a route. I tried it and after 2 hours ended the OpenCPN task. I guess it takes awhile to convert a 1085nm track to a route.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03   #32

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Hello, I am new to sailing, that is way I just join the forum that I have been reading for a long time. Now, it is my time to get to the water for the first time and I will do the passage from Rio Ducle to Isla Mujeres in 10 days. I am a little scared because of all the dangers in the area and my inexperience. If you could help me deciding the best route in regards of easyness and at the same time beauty and remotness I will appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Hi Y'all,
We are in New Orleans too. Our boat is now in Rio Dulce though we were behink NOYC for years. We did this the other way last year. Check out the blog at S/V WAHOO

Sorry your plans fell through but there's plenty of fun to be had in the lake and on close overnights to the Gulf Coast or over towards Pensacola. Our blog shows lots of that in the early part of the cruise both in 2011 and in 2012.
Where's your boat slip?
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Well Gerardo, who you quoted, is in Rio Dulce. I am at Orleans Marina, pier 3. I was the OP. And plans seldom survive their first encounter with reality anyhow so no biggie. It just means I have a whole year to get ready for next year!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:24   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Actually you may want to think twice about converting that track to a route. I tried it and after 2 hours ended the OpenCPN task. I guess it takes awhile to convert a 1085nm track to a route.
Text editor to the rescue! Gpx files can be edited with any text editor. Just delete the trackpoints along the long straight runs and over open water. But what I would do is place waypoints over the track wherever there is a course change or passage near to any hazard, and create the route from the new waypoints, if OCPN cant handle the conversion.
Old 13-03-2013, 01:04   #35

Thank you Paul, I could see the route in Open CPN. Technology is fantastic now a days!!

Could you by any chance tell me which cable I need to connect my PC with WIndows 7 to the radio to get meteofaxes? Does it have to be like a phone line, or like headset speakers?

Which station do you recomend me to get the faxes from? Now Orleans?
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 04:58   #36

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Thank you Paul, I could see the route in Open CPN. Technology is fantastic now a days!!

Could you by any chance tell me which cable I need to connect my PC with WIndows 7 to the radio to get meteofaxes? Does it have to be like a phone line, or like headset speakers?

Which station do you recomend me to get the faxes from? Now Orleans?
You'll need a weather fax program, and usually the microphone/line in cable will do.

I found New Orleans on the lower frequency to be my flavor while down there.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 14:42   #37

planning a trip from honduras to florida. Could you email me this fole. Thanks
robknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 11:14   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

robknapp,

Are you asking for my gpx track from Rio Dulce to Florida? If so send me a private message with your email address.
Old 08-04-2013, 20:37   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

That is a funny idea, "check with the local librarian." I don't think there are any good charts for Belize and what there are are from the 1800's. A black plastic garbage bag on a stick is more like what you will find to guide you.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Guy, most libraries these days belong to state and national loan associations, like the Interstate Library Loan association. Most library patrons don't know about this.

But if you want something that has been published, and any one library in the association has one copy of it, it is usually available for loan to any other member library. I've had books and music come in routinely, for free, from two and three thousand miles away. And yes, waterway guides and chartkits among them.

For example, from the "WorldCat":

Caribbean Sea, Mexico--Belize, Ambergris Cay to Isla Cozumel /
Corp Author: United States., Defense Mapping Agency., Hydrographic/Topographic Center. Publication: Washington, D.C. : Defense Mapping Agency : [DMA, Combat Support Center, DOA, distributor], 1991 Document: English : Map
Libraries Worldwide: 38
Tactical pilotage chart, TPC. K-25A, Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico /
Corp Author: Aerospace Center (U.S.) Publication: St. Louis, Mo. : The Center ; [Riverdale, MD : NOAA Distribution Branch, N/ACC3, National Ocean Service, distributor, 1998 Document: English : Map
Libraries Worldwide: 37
Operational navigation chart, ONC. J-25, Belize, Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico /
Corp Author: United States., National Imagery and Mapping Agency. Publication: Bethesda, MD : The Agency ; Riverdale, MD : NOAA Distribution Branch (N/ACC3), National Ocean Service, distributor, 1998 Document: English : Map
Libraries Worldwide: 31

All available, free, but only available if you know who or how to ask. List of waypoints? Maybe. There's a lot more. Of course if you live near a repository library (usually a major university library or a major county library) they may have all the federal charts and publications in their stacks as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33   #41

Boat: Finnsailer 38

All government charts are not accurate in that area--use with great caution. We found things that were off by miles. When in shallow, coral areas eyeball navigation with the sun high in the sky is the way to go. Don't try the reef entrances with the sun in your eyes late in the afternoon--you need to be able to read the water. Steve Pavlidis has a cruising guide out for the NW Caribbean, but it starts with Guatemala and the Rio Dulce.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
All government charts are not accurate in that area--use with great caution. We found things that were off by miles. When in shallow, coral areas eyeball navigation with the sun high in the sky is the way to go. Don't try the reef entrances with the sun in your eyes late in the afternoon--you need to be able to read the water. Steve Pavlidis has a cruising guide out for the NW Caribbean, but it starts with Guatemala and the Rio Dulce.
Yes, most charts for Belize are based upon British surveys from the 1800's. Except for the area around Belize City which has more recent survey data. Note that electronic charts use this same base data...the pretty picture on the screen is no more accurate...boats go aground often in Belize because the skipper has his eyes glued to the chartplotter and not looking at the water as he should have been.

The most accurate published navigation information for Belize is Freya Rauschers guide. Ive used it for many years all over Belize and only found a couple of inaccuracies. No need to waste your time or money on anything else.

Re the cut at San Pedro. I try to discourage cruisers from using it. If you get it wrong it will likely be catastrophic and the anchorage off Ambergris sucks. My suggestion is to come in further south at Eastern Channel. Big wide marked and hard to get wrong...also recent accurate survey data.

Eyeball navigation and having the sun at a favorable angle (above and behind you) are very important. If you cant see the cut dont wing it...go somewhere else or wait for better light. Getting it wrong when entering the reef from offshore will likely cost you your boat...and Belizean officials go nuts when a foreign boat goes up on the reef.

Belizean waters are complex so there is no substitute for local knowledge. The local fishermen, especially the older guys, know the waters better than anyone. I love to have them aboard because I always learn something new...and I know Belize quite well already. I would really like to document their knowledge.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

GrowleyMonster, I know it is not going to be soon enough for any use for your trip, I do plan on spending a great deal of time in Belize, soon, and once I get set up there, I will be working on routes and entrances around the reef, as well as suitable anchorages. It is a little early right now, but I expect within the next 2 years, I'll be able to provide some solid navigational data for exploring the area. All I need is more time. I'll post something here once I get settled.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25   #44

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Freya Rauscher has her own website and publishing company now.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33   #45

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Also you can purchase additional copies of the big fold out charts incuded in her guide directly from Windmill Press (the site you linked). These tend to get beat up from frequent use so I have a few extra copies aboard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize