Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Any Suggestions for a Perfect Sextant ?

I have an expensive Plath Navy sextant and an Astra IIIb. When I had a boat cruising, I would use the Astra. The Plath ended up as a backup.

One thing to keep in mind when looking is the trade off of having a heavy sextant such as my Plath. Although you might think the extra weight would add stability on a small boat, holding it up is a strain on the arm. I needed something lighter, but not as light as a plastic. But I also love my Plath and didn't want to sell it to get another backup.

I also use GPS - 3 actually. One fixed; one handheld; one in the ditch bag ready to go. Now of course you get a free extra one with your phone.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Some people actually like doing celestial because it is fun and adds to their knowledge about the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and the stars. That is half the fun of going to sea, learning new things.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37   #48

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Again I agree with Boatman61, Ive carried most all the same tools with me for a long time!along with an astrolobe, and a lead line. Aways got me home so far ! Nothing like paper Charts Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16   #49

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Some people actually like doing celestial because it is fun and adds to their knowledge about the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and the stars. That is half the fun of going to sea, learning new things.
Well then... for fun...any sextant will do...and I agree it is fun keeping tradition alive...

but if you want to stay off a reef...nothing like down to the meter real time navigation of a GPS!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:35   #50

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Where can you download a nautical almanac these days? Or is it still necessary to buy the printed version each year?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:39   #51

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485
Where can you download a nautical almanac these days? Or is it still necessary to buy the printed version each year?
Do a quick google search. I have it on my iPad in PDF. I use my iPad and a sextant for celestial nav.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25   #52

EMP is always a risk. 2 years ago a lightning hit 5 meters from where I was sleeping, mind you that I wasn't at sea but at the lowest floor of a building at the bottom of a valley! These things happen and that's the main reason that I prefer this belt and suspenders approach.

As for the almanacs and charts go, try torrentz.eu (and for every other illegal copy/pirate torrent needs of your's), if they don't have it, it's usually not in the net for free at all...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 14:14   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I mentioned I liked useing a sextant and it had saved my bacon at sea....they called celestial navigation...."a dieing art"...I pointed out that it is an "under used skill"
Old 08-12-2011, 15:41   #54

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I had used a Davis 25 for a few years and later got a 15 even though GPS became inexpensive and reliable. I've had electronics fail and recently had a first hand account from a skipper who had lost everything except the bilge pumps due to lightning strike. His insurance adjuster said there had been about 2 dozen claims this season in the Annapolis area, when normally there would be none.
I got the Davis 15 out and found the non SS screws were seized. Then it went to the deck and cracked a plastic part. It was a gust of wind. It was light enough to get blown right off the cabin top. When I priced replacements I couldn't believe how much these plastic sextants are going for. I found a Freiberger Yacht Sextant, the smaller one, and it's on the way at a price about the same as a plastic sextant. My other problem is I haven't used one in more than 30 years and have to go back to celestial school. You can't teach an old dog old tricks.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:28   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

Download
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00   #56
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

GPSs are great I have one along with electronic charts, etc...though electronics as well as anything electrical is even more prone to failure on a boat than on land. I sailed from Bermuda to Norfolk....no power...all sextant and spot on.
Old 09-12-2011, 17:01   #57
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee
GPSs are great I have one along with electronic charts, etc...though electronics as well as anything electrical is even more prone to failure on a boat than on land. I sailed from Bermuda to Norfolk....no power...all sextant and spot on.
I like celestial and I have a IIB. But having one as a " backup" to gps is an old and outdated argument. I do it because I enjoy it. But gps is the "sliced bread" of the trade.

Dave
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28   #58

After looking thru some dust covered boxs for my old nav books, I ran across my original Davis MK3 sextant. The mirrors are shot, and the adjusting screws are rusted. Not liking to throw things out that might still be useful, I looked up the Davis web sight . They sell a kit of mirrors and screws for all of 7 dollars. They offer an overhaul for an estimated 10 dollars. You cant beat that! They also offer parts for the other two sextants that they sell. If you run across a funky old Davis at a swap meet, it is dirt cheap to overhaul or rebuild yourself. They make a good backup.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 15:53   #59

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Not that I wouldn't recommend the self sufficient mariner to have a sextant and learn how to make a sight, but there is a use that, well, is useful. Some areas are charted based on observations made long ago and the longitude errors are disasterous if the navigator relies on his GPS coordinates. Fixes made with 3 landmarks and sextant will usually plot true on these old charts, irrespective of the lat and long. A fine sextant with telescope and shading filters isn't necessary, a Davis MKIII is fine. You could use a handbearing compass and calculate the angle between the marks. I just bought a 3 arm protractor for my kit.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 20:33   #60

KAIMUSAILING has a very good point about bearings between landmarks on charts, and there is an addition to that in the Sailing Directions(For whatever area you are in). I am only familiar with Sailing Directions To The Pacific Islands. It is a gov. pub. that has visual descriptions (among much more info) of Island from different directions. Island profiles dont change in the 150 years since most of this info has been collected and it can be a big help. It is a book of over a thousand pages that can be worth its weight in gold. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sextant