Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 10:24   #16

Re: Any good alternatives to Navionics

I have been using SEAiq on a trial basis for the past two weeks and really like it. Very intuitive interface. Just been using the NOAA raster charts. It does support other charts. Also has Active Captain.
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 12:42   #17

Hello,
I am reviving this old thread because I am gettig tired of the way Garmin f***d up the once beautiful Navionics software. Not only is the application getting more and more bloated with useless toy features but their support must be the worse I ever encountered ( Tech support that uses words like "should", "might", "i dont understand why it is not working" should be sent to another planet as it had been suggested by Douglas Adams ... )
Newest issue is that my subscription claims to be expired after only 7 months and support is only answering sporadically and if so then they "don't know" and want to force me to create an account with Navionics
So I tried iSailor and even though it looks nice, I cannot seem to be getting a good heading and also I do not see tides and currents. Also it tends to fill up the screen with too many sysmbols in some of the zoo levels, so the screen becomes crammed and not very clearly readable.

What is the status for the other apps people are using?
OpenCPN is nice for using for planning, but I do not like to use a laptop outside while sailing. ( For navionics I used a tablet mounted in a waterproof case. )

Thanks for all help!
SailorMcCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 13:24   #18

Boat: Rival 36

I have also steered away from Navionics since the Garmin takeover. I also don’t like what Garmin has done to Active Captain.

For iPad users I have tried several alternatives and iSailor was my preferred app until I discovered the navigation function in Weather4D. I have used this excellent app for weather for some time but the navigation features have been a revelation.

The App uses raster paper charts that have been seamlessly merged to cope with the necessary differences in scale - in one go you have the advantages or both raster and vector charts. Also, it is very easy on battery life compared to ISailor which eats up battery if you have the tracking function turned on. It has all the other features common to navigation apps such as the ability to connect to the boat’s instruments and AIS.

At the moment Weather4D is my first choice but this might change as I experiment with some of the alternatives. Good luck.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 13:34   #19

Thanks. Does it calculate offset regarding currents? That is the only feature that actually makes me use Navionics.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:41   #20

Yes. Routes can be planned for wind and currents. Not a feature I have used very often.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:45   #21

Ah, maybe I was not making clear what I meant:
I am not thinking about route planning, just realtime display of heading in relation to gps data and currents so one can see where to head in order to make up for current.
Of course that is something that can be calculated also with an old paper map, but ... you know... progress ...
Old 22-07-2019, 13:52   #22

SailorMcCruise. In that case you’re probably a bit ahead of me on the technical side. I suggest you take a look at the very good user guide which is available free from the Weather4D website.
Old 20-08-2019, 11:50   #23

Over the past few years I've used OpenCPN, qtVLM, iNavX, and SEAiq on various devices. Maybe a few others I don't remember.

Overall I prefer SEAiq even though it's aimed more at tug/barge operators than sailors. Robust, great quilting, and many useful features. If you're in US waters for $5 SEAiq USA is a no-brainer. At $49 the version that handles paid charts is still a bargain.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 06:18   #24

Ok, so I have moved to OpenCPN and OpenPlotter.
For the slightly tech minded:
I installed OpenCPN on a Laptop with a GPS receiver sitting safely inside the boat and access it via a simple affordable ( ca 100$ ) tablet using VNC.
I hate touchscreens on boats, but is working quite well, since I do not need too many features anyhow.
For the more slightly tech minded:
I am installing a raspberry pi / moitessier hat device running openplotter inside the boat and do the same VNC connection to a sturdy simple tablet.
Bye Bye Navionics / Garmin / greedy bunch.
Old 28-08-2019, 06:33   #25

Boat: Islander 36

I'm setting my iNavx aside and trying iSailor. Love it so far!
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:42   #26

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMcCruise View Post
Hello,
I am reviving this old thread because I am gettig tired of the way Garmin f***d up the once beautiful Navionics software. Not only is the application getting more and more bloated with useless toy features but their support must be the worse I ever encountered ( Tech support that uses words like "should", "might", "i dont understand why it is not working" should be sent to another planet as it had been suggested by Douglas Adams ... )
Newest issue is that my subscription claims to be expired after only 7 months and support is only answering sporadically and if so then they "don't know" and want to force me to create an account with Navionics
So I tried iSailor and even though it looks nice, I cannot seem to be getting a good heading and also I do not see tides and currents. Also it tends to fill up the screen with too many sysmbols in some of the zoo levels, so the screen becomes crammed and not very clearly readable.

What is the status for the other apps people are using?
OpenCPN is nice for using for planning, but I do not like to use a laptop outside while sailing. ( For navionics I used a tablet mounted in a waterproof case. )

Thanks for all help!
Buy a panasonic toughbook even reconditioned for cost savings.
I use one with Opencpn and love the combination. One can supposedly run an open water faucett over a toughbook keyboard wirhout creating water ingress.
I wont take the chance but i do have a 13 inch chartplotter for $1500 Canadian.
Its worked flawlessly.
Raggedglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 12:21   #27

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I use iNavX on an iPad with Navionics charts. For what I need, they work well and the charts have been good both in Baja, Mexico and more recently in the South Pacific. I also run a Furuno chartplotter with C-Map charts. The C-Map charts were excellent in Canada and the US but terrible in Mexico. I regularly needed to use the radar and chart offset feature of the plotter to place the boat on the chart with any kind of accuracy. When we moved onto a different chart it had to be done again.

The C-Map charts for the South Pacific on the other hand are accurate so far (Nuku Hiva, Tuamotus, Tahiti). Unfortunately, the chip has failed and contacting C-Map to discuss what remedies might be available has been so far impossible. They don't answer the phone, they don't call back and they don't respond to email.

My impression is that to switch to a different cartography supplier would require changing the plotter. So for the moment we will continue to use the iPad and run OpenCPN on our Toughbook inside the cabin. The downside is that both of these devices use a reasonable amount of power but less than the chartplotter which we only turn on at the beginning and end of passages.
Old 30-08-2019, 12:42   #28

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMcCruise View Post
I am installing a raspberry pi / moitessier hat device running openplotter inside the boat and do the same VNC connection to a sturdy simple tablet.
Can you provide details regarding the Raspberry Pi/Moitessier hat device? Or point to any URL with details?

thanks in advance
Old 30-08-2019, 16:02   #29

Boat: Pearson, P39-2

I'm testing out Aqua Map on my iPad this cruising season in conjunction with my Raymarine/Cmap chart plotter. Aqua map makes available Explorer Charts for the Bahamas, Active Captain Data and Waterway Guide Data via download. The Aqua map Master version will support Course/Headihg, Ais and GPS Data via WiFi transmitted from your nav router. So far so good, a very nice alternative to Garmin's Blue Chart Mobile.
tyqchur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 23:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Can you provide details regarding the Raspberry Pi/Moitessier hat device? Or point to any URL with details?

thanks in advance
Www.sailoog.com
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics