Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Any chart folios that cover the WHOLE world - for free?!

Or dirt cheap (under $100). Paper or Electronic.

Just trying to get a rough handle on what is "out there" already in the land of free and dirt cheap for folks who could go anywhere (even though of course they won't go everywhere).

I am guessing that what I am after is available already electronically, and it's just a question of how good (accurate) the details are (ripped off 10 years ago? / from unknown source?). and possibly how legal (copyright?) they are for certain areas covered ..........but no idea from whom or where such a worldwide portfolio would be available .....or indeed whether it is the case you still need to build up a folio piecemeal same as with paper (even if for cheap yer sometimes need a large photocopier and a less than perfect approach to copyright laws!).

The reason I ask is not so much that I am planning any immediate departure somewhere!, nor will I ever be going "everywhere" (lol!) - but would be nice to have something in the locker (or on disc) usable just in case, even at the price of the charts being somewhat basic / great caution needed when close inshore in unfamiliar waters.......and odd as it may seem , I would prefer the charts to be 100% legal on copyright!

My starting point of familiarity with Charts is the UK - where da Gubberment owns the info and sells it by chart to the public or commerically to others to use (including for digital maps / chartplotters)...so not possible to legally use their info for free , albeit I beleive other countries take a different approach (US?), including not doing much charting!

The above a bit more of a ramble than I had intended , but any pointers would be useful for me to get at least a rough handle on the Chart landscape would be appreciated.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21   #2

Re: Any chart folios that cover the WHOLE world - for free?!

Well you can download every chart covering the USA, including the Hawaiian Islands and other places in the Pacific, for free from here. I gave the link for the raster charts, which I prefer, but they also have ENCs.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:17   #3

David...
For free, as in really released for free by their authors, digital charts, the list at Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage is as complete is it can be.

Pavel
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers for that folks - I was hoping someone else had done the work already!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DOJ, Free Charts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: