Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 01:18   #1

Boat: Elan 40'
Antigua to the Azores: WAYPOINTS

Plan to leave Antigua towards the end of April, bound for the Azores.

I have looked at the various proposed routes and I was wondering if anybody could let me have their waypoints that they used on this journey. Looking to stay about 300 miles east of Bermuda and north of the Azores High.I understand that this high pressure zone is a moveable feast but would still be grateful for the above waypoints if anybody has kept them in their log. Thanks, John
johnandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Antigua to the Azores: WAYPOINTS

just sail north till the butter stays solid then turn right
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Antigua to the Azores: WAYPOINTS

Sorry mate.. do not use Waypoints.. to much like hard work..
I leave when the wind is ESE and head NE.. keeping the most comfortable heading till over and past the main effects of the West bound current and start to pick up the Southerlies before firming my course to the Azores..
This 'Leeway/Drift' effect varies from year to year so there's no set route.
Mind.. I'm the sort the 'Purists' hate.. I don't set out waypoints for my trips.. I just have generalities..
For example.. S Coast UK - Ushant - NW Spain, somewhere in Portugal - Gibraltar.
However I do know a guy who laid out 19 waypoints from Cape Trafalgar to Gibraltar..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandrews View Post
Plan to leave Antigua towards the end of April, bound for the Azores.

John
Hi John,

I counsel you against leaving in April. Its too early.
Every person who dies on that trip leaves early. April and early May is too early.

Late May/ June has had no fatalities that I can remember.

1 death last year was April departing boat.
6 dead the year before both boats early...

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:43   #5

Boat: 55 fleming

Forget predetermined way points and use weather routing. If sailing look for wind and avoid the center of lows.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesevans View Post
Forget predetermined way points and use weather routing. If sailing look for wind and avoid the center of lows.
+1

Every year is different
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27   #7

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry mate.. do not use Waypoints.. to much like hard work..
I leave when the wind is ESE and head NE.. keeping the most comfortable heading till over and past the main effects of the West bound current and start to pick up the Southerlies before firming my course to the Azores..
This 'Leeway/Drift' effect varies from year to year so there's no set route.
Mind.. I'm the sort the 'Purists' hate.. I don't set out waypoints for my trips.. I just have generalities..
For example.. S Coast UK - Ushant - NW Spain, somewhere in Portugal - Gibraltar.
However I do know a guy who laid out 19 waypoints from Cape Trafalgar to Gibraltar..
I am not meaning to hijack this thread and realize you have pumped more water out of the bilge than I have sailed on Boatman but how many offshore crossings have you made (ball park)??
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:38   #8

thanks. pretty schocking figures for april departures.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
I am not meaning to hijack this thread and realize you have pumped more water out of the bilge than I have sailed on Boatman but how many offshore crossings have you made (ball park)??

around eight i think. not all crossing the atlantic but all definitely long and offshore.
Old 18-04-2016, 16:51   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

If you are still bound to depart in April, you will find some wx that might help you pick your departure here:

2016 Weather to the Azores - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Off course, only if the thread finds posters&readers. You can be one.

You may want to look up the earlier 2015 Azores wx thread too, that one at places sounds very alarming and there is some reason for that as you can find pageing thru the updates and reports therein.

There are no hard rules on when the wx settles to allow for less stressful sail. Just stay tuned and watch the systems as they roll over. Do not go if not deeply convinced your timing is fine for your boat's strength and your crew's skills.

Basically, there is only one waypoint - Horta (or San Miguel). Departing Antigua you will sail as wx allows. Some opt for more N, others sail a nearly direct course (we did, twice).

My clients will be departing throughout May and June. You can post me a PM if you have any problem finding clear and extensive weather data online. I can recommend daily check of NOAA chartlets and for actual route choice a daily download of a small grib file for your area.

Should you find you are a coplete wx null, hire a router or more experienced sailing colleague to give you the situation and any headups over email, sms, phone or whatever method you have there.

Have fun sailing. It is a beautiful stretch of ocean out there and well worth the time spent sailing it.

If you can, do NOT rush it. As ever.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 17:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
I am not meaning to hijack this thread and realize you have pumped more water out of the bilge than I have sailed on Boatman

Ahhah...!! You've done deliveries..??
but how many offshore crossings have you made (ball park)??
Depends on what you call an offshore crossing..
but I'll assume ocean.. 3 solo W-E Transats and 2 crewed.. and a little bit in the S Pacific.. cannot really count the Med.. that's more like harbour hopping.
I tend to just plonk a mark on the SE corner of Faial then play the 2,400 odd miles in between by ear grabbing Easting as and where I can.. its not like doing the run from say Falmouth to Gibraltar..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-04-2016, 18:06   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I've come across a lot of sailors planning their crossing for April/may. Not to assume I know better than the skipper but past years have shown this to be a less predictable time than later. They all seem rushed to be back in Europe by a set time. Maybe it's the start of the school year or something. Personally I'd hire a skipper to do the delivery in June and fly my family home if land commitments over ruled prudent seamanship. One death last year in May but several sunk/abandoned/dismasted and damaged yachts during the early may departures.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 18:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Monte.. its usually the Bermuda crowd head off first.. the direct route folk tend to leave later.. why waste 'Island Time'..??
Things look to be settling nicely now though.. I'll not be crossing till June.. but thats not weather related..

PS: Looking at what's predicted for the week ahead if I was out there I'd be tempted to go in the next couple of days.. should be there in 17days.. not recommending.. just priming myself ahead of my time.. lol

Tags
Antigua, Azores