Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 13:40   #1

Android or Apple tablet?

I am on the market for a new tablet. Not being familiar with tablet-based navigation software, I am looking for some advice.

So far I saw exclusively iPads used in navigation. Is there a particular reason? I see both Navionics and OpenCPN are available on Android, are the Android versions inferior/consume more battery, etc?

If the latter is not the case, I am leaning towards Android, since my phones are also using that system and I am reluctant to pay hundreds of $'s "Apple premium".
Old 01-04-2018, 15:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Android or Apple tablet?

I have been very happy with Navionics on various android tablets and phones.

The preference for iPads appears to be primarily a US thing and I suspect it has more to do with marketing and perceptions than with superiority.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:12   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I have an iPhone and an iPad

Get the Android and have more choices
Old 01-04-2018, 16:17   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

You just asked a question similar to "Rocna or Mantus"?

Both are fine. Andriod is cheaper, but may suffer from build quality unless you buy a big brand name.

Buy what you like and what fits your budget!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If I was no so deeply invested in the iPad software I would move to Android.

The BIG thing to look at is screen brightness. My newest iPad is easy to read in direct sunlight, so ask around regarding the Androids.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 16:47   #6

something to think about..and find out..
where are the charts stored..
I looked into navionics but they don't allow storing charts in an SD card( or outside the system ram)..
my first tablet was a 16gb version..I couldn't load navionics..no room..the app was ok..but not the charts..

this is using an Android based tablet...is Ipad the same?

opencpn has the same issue..charts are in the system ram..no the SD card..
not sure if this issue is a system constraint or an app constraint..for us users it doesn't matter..if you don't have enough system ram space..too bad.

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 18:33   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post

opencpn has the same issue..charts are in the system ram..no the SD card..
Not so, Opencpn on an android tablet can have all the chart files stored on the external sd card, not internal.

Running Opencpn with such a good ais display is a strong plus in favour of android.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 23:06   #8

If you are an apple fan and run an apple ecosystem (ie: everything you have is apple based), of course get an ipad.

If not, android has lots more options at far better prices.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The preference for iPads appears to be primarily a US thing and I suspect it has more to do with marketing and perceptions than with superiority.
Android 'steals' your data, tracks you, aggregates your whole life. Google then sells you for money.

This is less the case with Apple wares - that's the big difference.

Not primarily an US thing; for me, it's people which value (some) privacy. Quality is also an aspect.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Android 'steals' your data, tracks you, aggregates your whole life. Google then sells you for money.

This is less the case with Apple wares - that's the big difference.

Not primarily an US thing; for me, it's people which value (some) privacy. Quality is also an aspect.
If you think Apple isn't stealing your data just as much, I have some lovely ocean front real-estate in Arizona to sell you.

If you are worried about data privacy, be smart with what you download and what you share. The choice of device brand really doesn't make much difference.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:19   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We have Android tablets... and Android phones. The nav apps we use work fine on all. Screens are easily bright enough. One of the tablets has an SD card, and we can use that for chart storage when the apps themselves support that. The other tablet just has more primary storage anyway, so space on that hasn't been an issue on that one either.

-Chris
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I am watching this post as I have the same questions as the OP.

I believe the original question was not in reference to the tablet itself, not which one is better, rather which tablet is more appropriate for navigation given the available applications.

Apparently, there are more Apple sailors than Android sailors (in the USA), or so it seems because there are popular iPad navigation apps that although available for Android, there is no documentation (only the Apple one), and several features are turned off – apps such as Inavx, Weather 4D, Transas iSailor, etc.

BTW – although I am looking at the backup navigation system, I noticed that many are switching from the proprietary MFDs to iPads.

I don’t know of any navigation applications developed specifically for Android (please enlighten me). I also know that PC navigation systems such as OpenCPN, Navionics and others work on Android, but to what extent? I was contemplating buying an iPad, but I hope I can stick to my Galaxy.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55   #13

I have been dragged and pushed to finally converting to all Apple. That said, I absolutely love my mini ipad with Garmin blueccharts and Active Captain on it. It nit only is a great navigation tool, it's fun to play with and plan routes and trips in the couch with.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have Android tablets... and Android phones. The nav apps we use work fine on all. Screens are easily bright enough. One of the tablets has an SD card, and we can use that for chart storage when the apps themselves support that. The other tablet just has more primary storage anyway, so space on that hasn't been an issue on that one either.

-Chris
+everybody who commented: thanks for all the feedback! Just checked some more stores, and the 2017 iPad 32GB with LTE seems to be available for ~330$, seems extremely cheap in Apple terms - I'll check if there is a trap somewhere (like SIM-lock...). (found the trap: it's wi-fi only, the "LTE" was a typo... I'll most likely get a Hua M3 lite 10 LTE)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:24   #15

Boat: Amel 50

I use Android products. I tried the iPhone and iPad and I did not like them for many reasons. I was a computer engineer/programmer. Few reasons are relevant to you.

iPads do not have a built-in GPS, unless you get a version with Cellular support (more expensive). Most quality Android tablets (Samsung, Sony, etc.) have a built-in GPS.

Many Android tablets have option for external storage, while iPads do not. This capability provides extra storage and data security, if something happens to your tablet (gets wet, etc.).

Finally, I find iPads/iPhones way to restrictive with what you can do with your data. Android based products have more options and, in general, are cheaper.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote