Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 22:06   #1

Boat: Grainger Cat 12.5m
Android or Apple

I need to source a backup system for my boat. I am thinking of going with a tablet and wondering if anyone has experience with Android tablets. I know many users have opted for the fruit variety but don't know of any using Android. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Col
Stilllooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 22:36   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Android or Apple

Opencpn will run on Android

That alone is enough to sway the decision

If you're locked into Apple with everything else then maybe not so cut and dried, I use a Sony Xperia in the cockpit and am very happy now it it, bright, waterproof (so they say,,,). Stable operating system with loads of sailing apps.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 23:42   #3

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilllooking View Post
I need to source a backup system for my boat. I am thinking of going with a tablet and wondering if anyone has experience with Android tablets. I know many users have opted for the fruit variety but don't know of any using Android. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Col
Android and Navionics, works great.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 00:04   #4

Boat: Grainger Cat 12.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Opencpn will run on Android

That alone is enough to sway the decision

If you're locked into Apple with everything else then maybe not so cut and dried, I use a Sony Xperia in the cockpit and am very happy now it it, bright, waterproof (so they say,,,). Stable operating system with loads of sailing apps.
The only problem I see is finding charts (aus) for open cpn
Stilllooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:04   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
The only problem I see is finding charts (aus) for open cpn
It can be an issue in certain parts of the world for sure, think you can get up to date charts - at a price...
ChartWorld - Shop - Search

Though a lot of people get by fine on CM93.

In northern europe before oeSENC I used both Navionics & Opencpn on the tablet, but mostly looked at Opencpn. Further afield there's probably not so much difference as the surveys are few and far between plus you can double check on the navionics web app. A *big* plus with O is how easy it is to create kap chart files from google earth images as a second source of info - very useful
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:16   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I run a Samsung S3 with Navionics, Plan2Nav, and OpenCPN and lots of other related apps.

Two commercial echart apps gives me two points of comparison (Navionics vs CMAP) and OpenCPN lets me import charts from other digital sources.

Note that pirated CM93 is getting harder to find since many sites took this illegal copy down.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:48   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

We use Android tablets... and phones.

When we first started shopping (back then), basic Apple tablets usually cost about $100 more than an equivalent size/generation Android tablet... and then getting the Apple version with the built-in GPS feature usually added yet another $100 to that. Otherwise, I don't see much difference between the two.

So we decided less expensive -- for basically disposable computers -- would suit our budget better.

FWIW, we use MX Mariner with NOAA raster charts, and Plan2Nav with C-Map vector charts. Both work well for our needs.

-Chris
Old 11-11-2017, 03:51   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

If it is just as a backup then I would go android for cheapness.

Personally I think Apple has the superior overall package. IMO the Android ecosystem and marketplace is a mess (and I was a big android user), but it's cheap, easy, and you buy replacement android devices anywhere in the world. Try buying an Apple phone even in somewhere like Greece, and it's not so easy.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:58   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

One thing to note about Android tablets is that not all of them have a GPS. Many of the cheaper tablets do not include GPS and instead do location from WIFI. Of course that doesn't work on a boat.

Make sure to check the specs and ensure it has a GPS chip.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:21   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Whether you prefer Apple or Android is not something anyone can even help you meaningfully to answer. It's like whether you prefer blondes or brunettes . . .

I have both on board and they both work fine. Apple won't run OpenCPN but I don't think that the Android version of O is meaningfully usable anyway, so I don't think that's a big consideration. Android is more open and flexible and there is more available for it, and not just navigation software.

I don't like Apple anything in general, so I prefer Android. The Android tablet we have on board is a Sony Z2, which is waterproof and so better suited for use in the cockpit than other tablets in my opinion. But my not liking Apple anything won't have any meaning for you -- choose what you like. The IPad on board also works just fine and has lasted for many years.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:31   #11

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Gps performance on ipad suffers from signal attenuation due to the alu back. Ipad is sturdy but the eco system is a trap. Go android and keep it simple.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:37   #12

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I stopped by just to see how heated the battle had become, or if someone had yet pointed out that this is like asking someone which religion, or which anchor, to choose.

Interesting that Android is coming out ahead. I'm betting that once they get done waiting in line, the Apple folks will be on here with a vengeance.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:46   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I stopped by just to see how heated the battle had become, or if someone had yet pointed out that this is like asking someone which religion, or which anchor, to choose.

Interesting that Android is coming out ahead. I'm betting that once they get done waiting in line, the Apple folks will be on here with a vengeance.

I think the reason there is no debate or argument is that he's asking which to use a backup.

As a backup (only ever used as such), and not connected to the internet, then Android makes a strong case. You can get a lot of hardware for little money, and not being connected means there's no need to worry about ads, malware, and the like.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:45   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's like whether you prefer blondes or brunettes . . . I have both on board and they both work fine.
So you're still doing extensive testing? I only have a brunette on board, but perhaps I should try a blonde as well.

Though there may be some critical incompatibility with the existing system. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:31   #15

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I'm running Navionics on two Samsung Android units. That works fine. Each unit has built-in GPS... hence they are completely self-contained.

Now I've also got hold of some Windows tablets. Planning to put OpenCpn on there.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote