Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 02:38   #1

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Anchoring along the Italian riviera (Liguria), high season

I need to hang out with the boat around Liguria for a few weeks in August. Which is not really a bad thing... but it is high season and I have no wish to fight over marina spaces and pay the famous riviera fees. So I wonder, are there any good places where one can drop anchor around this coast?

A quick look at satellite pictures suggests, there are possibly a few places one can anchor just outside Nice and Antibes in France ... then there is La Spezia 100 miles to the east, at the very far end of Liguria, which also looks nice.

The only option in-between seems to be, just possibly, a few coves outside Rapallo / Portofino / Santa Margherita Ligure.

I will get maps and hopefully a pilotage book once I get closer to the area. Just trying to plan a bit ahead, for now.

Did I miss something? Are there restrictions or problems I should know about, regarding the above spots?

Any other tips also welcome, about how to enjoy this particular coast in the high season.

Thanks,
Sven

Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 20:31   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Anchoring along the Italian riviera (Liguria), high season

This might be helpful:
Guide des Ports et Mouillages du Cap du Dramont au Cap Ferrat | The Yachter Guide et Magazine Nautique
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

The Italian cost is beautiful. While I am not familiar with that area, based on Amalfi coast, I can tell you Italian waters have many reserves with different classifications. Some allow you to anchor, some do not and some are ignored until the Guardia Costeria shows up. In other cases you can be anchored outside a port and be told to leave by authorities until the evening when you can return for the night. In other places you will be inundated with lots of power boats that disappear at night. The wakes they create while there are unnerving at times. A few ports are totally private so you'll need to ask permission to land if they'll let you. I know of boats who have been refused.

August is also reportedly the high season for taking vacations so that will make your job even more interesting.

I am not sore on Italy coast. The people are wonderful and weather generally great but study as much as you can and then stick your nose in. They'll tell if you can't stay. Just try to have a back up.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 00:17   #4
cruiser

Post your question on this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad-168140.html

I know Sully just came from there.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring