Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 12:17   #16

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45
Re: Anchor watch & gps

I like drag queen also but I now get a message that it needs to be updated to work with IOS 11 and it will not load. This has been a long time now. It also does not show up in the app store on my device, probably because it is IOS 11.
The only drawback I was aware of was that your device would stay active and draw power while watching so it needed to stay plugged in.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:30   #17

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I posted to the Active Captain / Drag Queen site asking about plans to update foe IOS 11.

Sure hope Garmin does not abandon these great products following the Aquisition!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:33   #18

Boat: Fusion 40

I like Sail Safe. You can activate it after you have set your anchor by entering the compass direction and length of chain out.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 14:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I am very happy with Anchor Alert from SlimJim

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...horalert&hl=en
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 02:25   #20

Boat: Dufour 385

Anchor Watch by Lukesoft for iphone - works fine as long as you have a charging point near your bunk and the phone can get a good gps signal
ballvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:38   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've tried a bunch of Android apps, and even my regular chartplotter. I haven't done a scientific study; I just try out different stuff as the mood strikes me.

I ended up deleting Drag Queen and Sail Safe. Not that they were bad, just that I didn't take to them well. Anchor Lite and "AchorWatch" by Jos Verbeek are still on my phone and used occasionally.

But far more often, I just use a regular navigation app (usually MX Mariner or Navionics, but any one will do) and zoom in as far as I can. This gives me a "track" over time. If it looks like a nice fuzzy arc around a central point, I'm good. When it strikes off in a new direction, time to get worried.

Changes in wind strength or direction, even swings in heading, tend to wake me up pretty easily at anchor. I only set an alarm if I'm not confident in my set or if I expect a change in weather or current.

Proximity of rocks would be another reason to set an alarm, but it's hard to set an alarm that would give me enough warning before hitting them. I've forgotten to turn the alarm off, and I'm usually well past the rocks when it finally goes off on my way out of the anchorage the next morning. In other words, it would have been much too late.

I do have a Vesper XB-8000 but haven't really played with the anchor alarm yet. I like the implementation, just haven't been in a situation where I felt like setting it up (and leaving the AIS on all night.) My phone is always plugged in and displaying the chart overnight anyway.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 07:31   #22

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Re: DragQeen - got a reply from the ActiveCaptain representative inside Garmin. There is an update coming for IOS 11, but don’t hold your breath ... Garmin release process is holding it up. Guess I need to switch for this sailing season. Thanks for the good alternate suggestions!

I sure hope Garmin doesn’t ruin ActiveCaptain too ... it had potential. Community developed content bought and controlled by corporate entities is always a dicey proposition 😢
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:14   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Re: DragQeen - got a reply from the ActiveCaptain representative inside Garmin...

I sure hope Garmin doesn’t ruin ActiveCaptain too ... it had potential. Community developed content bought and controlled by corporate entities is always a dicey proposition ��
I was wondering if DragQueen was part of the deal with Garmin. Sorry to hear it was.

As for corporate entities ruining things, that's not "always" the case. But I think the odds are pretty good with a company like Garmin, which has a reputation for not putting much effort into upgrades for existing products.

Remember that ActiveCaptain is only as good as the crowd-sourced data is presents. It will be interesting to see if the "crowd" is motivated to provide free data for Garmin's benefit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:57   #24

I tried drag queen, and it worked well but consumed a ton of power so you must plug your phone in. Others worked similarly and fine. Plenty of free apps to try.

I tried some that would text an alert to my wife's phone (leaving mine on the boat to keep watch), but loss of data & glitches caused me to scurry to the boat several times for no issues, so that ended that.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 13:56   #25
Marine Service Provider

I would vote for Anchor Pro app on iPhone, which was just published a week ago. I admit that I might be a bit biased as I am the author, but it's still the best! And new features are regularly added

https://goo.gl/i82Pg8

It's essentially the iOS version of the Android application that was already mentioned by some users of this thread.
WebMajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:03   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

Extremely disappointed in Garmin support. No work-arounds and no second level support. You're stuck buddy, have fun.

They were more than happy to offer to sell me an upgrade, though.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:48   #27

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I use AnchorWatch on iPhone. This app has many nice features, one is the Google earth overlay with range ring, both when trying to find a spot to anchor and when checking anchor position. Does not drain battery overnight, not even close.

Possible to set anchor position after anchoring.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:50   #28

We use Anchor Alarm With Late Set on iPhone ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anch...292028990?mt=8 ). Worked pretty reliable for now.
em_ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:55   #29

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_ko View Post
We use Anchor Alarm With Late Set on iPhone ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anch...292028990?mt=8 ). Worked pretty reliable for now.
I'm assuming this one ?

https://www.facebook.com/ancalarm/

btw: is this one the same ?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sky-...162290655?mt=8
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 12:47   #30

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMajstr View Post
I would vote for Anchor Pro app on iPhone, which was just published a week ago. I admit that I might be a bit biased as I am the author, but it's still the best! And new features are regularly added

https://goo.gl/i82Pg8

It's essentially the iOS version of the Android application that was already mentioned by some users of this thread.
You might be the guy to ask about GPS accuracy.

I have had a few tablets and they don't work well with GPS because they are inaccurate and during the day (even stationary on land) the location moves around significantly more than you would set for your alarm.

The shops don't know and there isn't much on the internet to tell what to buy.

They seem fine while moving to track your course but stationary or almost stationary they are hopeless.

What hardware/software is needed to provide good acuracy for the anchor watch program.

Tags
anchor, gps