Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 12:20   #1

Boat: Ericson 35 MKII
An iPad with iNavX/Navionics, or a Windows Surface with OpenCPN?

Right now, I have a wireless multiplexer that transmits to my laptop running OpenCPN. However, I'm looking at getting a dedicated tablet instead of using my laptop (you can imagine my laptop is quite unwieldy in the cockpit). The question is, should I get an iPad and one of their apps, or just get a Windows Surface running Windows 10 and install OpenCPN?

Obviously, I'm more familiar with OpenCPN, but I also know the iPad apps are real slick and shiny. The thing I really like about OpenCPN is the plugin support (and the free-ness).

The primary use for now is racing with a little weekend cruising, but in the not so distant future, I'll probably switch to an integrated system with a Raspberry Pi down below.
Old 17-01-2016, 23:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: An iPad with iNavX/Navionics, or a Windows Surface with OpenCPN?

Essentially I have both and as you would expect each has its advantages. Recently I added Duos to my Surface Pro 3 and I now run Navionics Android on it.

My Surface has to use a dongle or bluetooth to get the GPS signal and the battery time is not as good as an iPad or Android tablet. Outdoor viewing is similar but the iPad may be slightly better. Weight with the Pro 4 might be better than the Pro 3 but the iPad/Android wins in my case. They are also thinner and cheaper for the most part. Water resistant cases are probably more available too but I have not had to worry about that much since I use them to supplement a chart plotter.

I don't know of a similar simulator for IOS but Android and IOS Navionics programs are virtually identical. You can also run OpenCPN on an Android but I have not done that yet.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 23:10   #3
cruiser

Navionics is a primitive toy when compared to an Ipad or PC with Nobeltec Time Zero installed... which BTW, is also a free app.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 23:35   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

A while back I would have said an MS surface hands down.... but.. my Surface has not held up very well on my boat. Mind you, some of my trips have been rough and pretty wet, but I expected more on it. Corrosion seems to have set in on the charge port and keyboard connection.

I will also caviet this by saying it is a Surface Pro 1, but got almost zero use until I bought my boat. I had it for 2 years up here in Canada and it might have gotten 1 hour/month of use before I had my boat.

At this point I have moved to a business class Dell laptop.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:25   #5

Boat: Krogen, Cutter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Navionics is a primitive toy when compared to an Ipad or PC with Nobeltec Time Zero installed... which BTW, is also a free app.
Nobeltec is free? Where?
Richfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:40   #6

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

For your later fun have a look at Lattepanda.com Pi size but win 10 already installed and a lot of IOs.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:14   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfind View Post
Nobeltec is free? Where?
iTunes store. Download the iPad app for free.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:28   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450S

You guys know about Signal K? Check it out:

http://ikommunicate.com/wp-content/u...hite-paper.pdf

I think that this will change the discussion regarding devices.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

If you're in this space, you should consider a good android tablet. The Samsung Tab 4 has a great GPS, the ipad location services are a mixed and un-disclosed technology. I like Navionics on the Tab4, though I will probably upgrade to a larger screen than my current 7".
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:01   #10

OpenCPN works fine on the Android. I can evn run it on my phone but the screen is a bit too small
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:12   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
If you're in this space, you should consider a good android tablet. The Samsung Tab 4 has a great GPS, the ipad location services are a mixed and un-disclosed technology. I like Navionics on the Tab4, though I will probably upgrade to a larger screen than my current 7".
We have two cellular IPads, two Samsung s4 phones and two iPhones an IPhone 6 and a 5s. I don't see any difference between them on how the GPS functions. Great on all devices.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:20   #12

I just looked into the Nexus 9 (Android) for OpenCPN. The only issue I see is that there really isn't a whole lot of plugin support like there is for the desktop version. If I went that route, I'd probably just get iNavX or something since the only benefit I think OpenCPN has over them is the option for plugins. I almost wonder if I just got an old Android tablet and installed linux on it, and how that would work.

As for the other devices, I'm not too concerned about GPS compatibility... that is already routed through my NMEA Multiplexer, so really all I need is just a straight up chart plotter that can accept WiFi sentences.

Does anyone have any experience doing the Linux on an Android Tablet running OpenCPN? I might go over to that forum and ask.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:32   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDurst View Post
I just looked into the Nexus 9 (Android) for OpenCPN. The only issue I see is that there really isn't a whole lot of plugin support like there is for the desktop version. If I went that route, I'd probably just get iNavX or something since the only benefit I think OpenCPN has over them is the option for plugins. I almost wonder if I just got an old Android tablet and installed linux on it, and how that would work.

As for the other devices, I'm not too concerned about GPS compatibility... that is already routed through my NMEA Multiplexer, so really all I need is just a straight up chart plotter that can accept WiFi sentences.

Does anyone have any experience doing the Linux on an Android Tablet running OpenCPN? I might go over to that forum and ask.
Spend a few bucks and purchase INavx for an ipad. We've also been using it very successfully for over six years. Why waste all this time and energy just trying to get something that's free in order to save $50?
Old 18-01-2016, 10:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why waste all this time and energy just trying to get something that's free in order to save $50?
I find that I ask myself that question all the time...
Old 18-01-2016, 10:57   #15

Boat: Saturn 33 Pilothouse

you can find Nobeltec Time zero on the I pad app store only type it in the search bar.
SY. Icebound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, iNavX, Ipad, navionics, opencpn, wind