Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 22:10   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: AIS Satellite vessel tracking

Try this..... go to marinetraffic, filter out all but pleasure craft, zoom right out and see what you get MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic

I can assure you there are no shore monitoring stations where this boat is MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic
Old 12-09-2016, 01:43   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Tore, but as mentioned it needs to be well away from the shore receivers to be Sat Ais. Just had a look around the north atlantic. Not many pleasure boats recieved, havent checked the fishing boats, maybe some of them are class B?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2016, 04:43   #18

Here is another example of ´B´ type AIS satellite reception in a busy
traffic lane,off-shore in the South Atlantic.

Also the tracking in Ft. Lauderdale and New York harbor was by AIS-SAT as you can read on each vessel detail pop-up.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naschacata sailing.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	131013  
sinbad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Excuse my ignorance here... but I take it these apps only receive AIS data while you are in range of cellular signal?

IE: Vessels transmit via satellite but you receive via cellular network? (Cant see how receiving information to mobile device is possible without network coverage)

I think the point is that folks back home can track you via satellite.

The folks around you (within 10-50nm) you can see by direct transmission to you on VHF.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:11   #20

NZMAL - Adele

Yes, it is for use ANYWHERE within Internet reach,NOT as a navigation tool off-shore.

Also great for areas not connected yet to the Internet AIS providers.

Tore
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

If your boat is being tracked by a satellite, your antenna is not a good one. It's supposed to be transmitting horizontally, not vertically. Any signal going towards the sky is signal that's not going towards other boats.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
AIS Satellite vessel tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad8 View Post
NZMAL . . .

Huh?!?

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If your boat is being tracked by a satellite, your antenna is not a good one. It's supposed to be transmitting horizontally, not vertically. Any signal going towards the sky is signal that's not going towards other boats.

Possibly true for powerboats but not for sailboats.

Sailboats use a 3db antennae and no better because they need reception and transmission ability when heeled. So when heels a lot of energy is going up at a modest angle and some is going up at a fairly steep angle.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:58   #24

Adelie....

Nzmal... is a user... see post #3

Rwidman... Possibly true,but as Adelie tells us,all sailboats use a 3db antenna, and most deep-sea sailors are sailboats. For the rest,perhaps try a 3db if it improves Satellite visibility.

Now something entirely different,but interesting. A new radio ham device is now available for both PC and your Android mobile which enables you to
listen in to the radio ham traffic around the world.
http://websdr.ewi.utvente.nl:8901/

I am following a small ship from Norway to Rarontonga via SAT-AIS,presently passing Cap Verde Islands,and will today listen to conversation between my son and the ship´s captain with my mobile. Great Huh??

Tore
Old 12-09-2016, 12:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
In simple terms....VHF - like radar -- has quite a 'broad' vertical band width. The satellite doesn't need to be vertically overhead... it just needs to be above the horizon.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I can assure you there are no shore monitoring stations where this boat is MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic
As that 'pleasure craft' gets further north you just need to look further up the channels. Due to the lack of other traffic thereabouts she will be a good one to track to destination to see how consistant her reception by sat is...

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic

I see I've even found you a southbound one. It is safe to say that 100% of AIS equiped 'pleasure craft' in the area are being tracked. Its pretty early in the season.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33   #27

AIS Satellite vessel tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad8 View Post
Adelie....

Nzmal... is a user... see post #3 . . .

Ahh! Because it was all caps assumed it was some new internet/sms anacronym. Tried to find definition on line but it didn't have one so assume it was really new.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
In simple terms....VHF - like radar -- has quite a 'broad' vertical band width. The satellite doesn't need to be vertically overhead... it just needs to be above the horizon.
Ooooooops lets try beam width
Old 17-09-2016, 09:40   #29

Wayne B.

Here´s proof of AIS-SAT tracking of a private vessel,well off shore,out of internet reach. She will most probably have a ´B´ class AIS transponder.

See also regularity of the tracking of ms Soroy,actually received every 20 min but I only use two per day. She has now passed the Atlantic mid-way point on her way to St. Kitt. A 40 kn Storm is following her and probably pass North of her.

All tracking done from Marine Traffic on their 1 ship satellite subscription of US$ 16.- per month,which I recon is well spent money.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-20160917-132529.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	131269   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture-20160917-090612.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	131270  

Old 21-09-2016, 10:35   #30

Boat: Allied 39

In the SP class B AIS vessels are being picked up by Satellite and relayed to marine traffic. Working the Pac Sea Net we often use our relay in NZ to look up vessels that may miss a check in. Or insure they arrived to close out the roll all on that vessel.

www.jacarandajourney.com

Tags
ais, satellite