Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2017, 13:24   #1

AIS on the ICW

I wanted to offer a "thank you" to all those with AIS transponders aboard who are transmitting while on the ICW this year. I know many think of AIS just for offshore but it can make the ICW easier.

This year it seems that the more than 50% of the boats over 40ft are transmitting and even a lot of smaller boats. That's about double last year. Of course, almost all the commercial boats, tows, and big fishing boats transmit.

Obviously, you don't really need AIS on the ICW for collision avoidance but it has some other great benefits:

When passing someone who transmits AIS, I don't have to use binoculars to try to make out a boat's name for a radio call - especially those with a weird script or the name on the quarter instead of the transom. And knowing the other boat's relative speed makes it's much easier to plan my pass.

I also don't have to constantly be looking astern to see if some huge sports-fisherman is bearing down on me. I also know the name of the other boat and can anticipate how long it will be until they will be alongside - before a radio call (if that even happens). When I hear a VHF call for a slow pass, it's often hard to make out the other boat's name to respond - face it, a lot of people pick boat names that are almost unintelligible on the radio.

I know some people say they are bothered by AIS "clutter" in crowded places like the ICW. For those folks, it's easy to turn off the AIS display on your chartplotter but please keep transmitting for the rest of us.

I appreciate the courtesy.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 14:52   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: AIS on the ICW

I would concur. While certainly not a necessity, it is useful.

I made my first AIS equipped ICW southbound trip last month and it proved helpful on several occasions. And if you jump outside for any portion, especially if overnight, it earns its keep.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 15:41   #3
cruiser

I've been cruising the AICW for several years without AIS. I plan to have it before my next cruise for all the reasons stated in the original post. I have a current thread on the subject.

I sometimes find myself being waked by large, fast boats. If they are transmitting an AIS signal I can call them by name and ask for a slow pass. Hopefully, knowing that I know their name, they will slow down or at least swing wide.
boatman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 02:56   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
This year it seems that the more than 50% of the boats over 40ft are transmitting and even a lot of smaller boats. That's about double last year.

We're not seeing that; more like maybe .5%.

Otherwise, good points.

-Chris
Old 25-11-2017, 06:57   #5
cruiser

The real problem is the smaller boats, especially near cities. These are the people who don't know the rules and don't know or care about wakes. And of course, the rental PWCs.

These boats have no AIS and it seems, no VHF.
Old 25-11-2017, 09:39   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

AIS is as needed on the ICW about as much as in the bath tub. Wake from fast passes is a nuisance but yelling at the A-hole by name is not likely to do much good. Responsible boaters maintain watch and control their speed. The others just do not care. Live with it. I absolutely do not advise breaking out the .30-.30 and firing warning shots.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 10:29   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
AIS is as needed on the ICW about as much as in the bath tub. Wake from fast passes is a nuisance but yelling at the A-hole by name is not likely to do much good. Responsible boaters maintain watch and control their speed. The others just do not care. Live with it. I absolutely do not advise breaking out the .30-.30 and firing warning shots.
Well put.
And better sense precludes the .30-.30 although tempting at times.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:33   #8

Boat: Tartan30

I love AIS.....it is wonderful.
I guess what bothers me is the part where "i don't have to worry about the Sport Fisherman".
YES YOU DO!!!
This actually more me talking to me, to remind me not to think that AIS is a cure all. I MUST still keep a very vigilant lookout, for that guy who has it all, AIS receiving but NOT transmitting, radar whirling, but he has never read the manual, and can't tell a squall line from a battleship, stereo blasting, and 10 cases of the best beer on board. He has the best of everything, the big horsepower, antennas whipping in the wind, towing 6 people on a giant floating couch, the whole circus up on plane, with only inches of the boat in the water. He is oblivious, and he is the one that will kill me if I don't act as my own lookout, and his too!
I also wish folks in marinas would turn their AIS OFF when docked.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 12:11   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I absolutely do not advise breaking out the .30-.30 and firing warning shots.
I find keeping it in a holster on the stern rail, in plain sight, dramatically reduces the need to actually use it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 12:38   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Seems like stereotyping sport fishermen. My guess would be the A-holes have never caught a fish in their lives. It is more those that have more money than brains and need to make an impression.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 13:57   #11

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
I love AIS.....it is wonderful.
I guess what bothers me is the part where "i don't have to worry about the Sport Fisherman".
YES YOU DO!!!
This actually more me talking to me, to remind me not to think that AIS is a cure all. I MUST still keep a very vigilant lookout, for that guy who has it all, AIS receiving but NOT transmitting, radar whirling, but he has never read the manual, and can't tell a squall line from a battleship, stereo blasting, and 10 cases of the best beer on board. He has the best of everything, the big horsepower, antennas whipping in the wind, towing 6 people on a giant floating couch, the whole circus up on plane, with only inches of the boat in the water. He is oblivious, and he is the one that will kill me if I don't act as my own lookout, and his too!
I also wish folks in marinas would turn their AIS OFF when docked.
I completely agree with all of the above. I have never seen a sport fisher with AIS and I could easily be convinced that if they have VHF they never turn it on. I find AIS very handy in the ditch when I am forced to travel there, esp. in SC and GA where you can see what is coming at you from around the next oxbow. And as for not having to worry about what's behind you if you have AIS - think again! Not everyone has it or uses it. You still need to keep a watch aft and keep up your situational awareness.
And as for slow passes - I truly hate all of the VHF slow pass chatter on the ICW. I have an ocean going sailboat and am used to rocking and I also know how to move over until you pass and then cut back at 45 degrees into your wake. If you come up behind S/V Finlandia in the ditch just say "Hey Finlandia, I am about to pass you and hold your speed. It won't happen very often as I avoid the ditch as much as possible, but if it does I will deal with your wake.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 25-11-2017, 14:33   #12

I should have said specified that I meant sportfishermen as a type of boat not the men and women who fish. And even there it is changing. While it wasn't yet 50%, I'd estimate 25% of the sportsfishermen over 40ft on the ICW were transmitting AIS this year. But I've only gotten to Charleston. I expect there will be fewer farther south. But I don't remember seeing any last year even north.

And, so far, it seems that a person who installs AIS in their sportsfishman (or any other type of boat) is also likely to have the courtesy to watch their wake. I have yet to be badly waked by anyone with AIS.

I mis-spoke about not looking astern. With at least half of the boats not transmitting I have to keep checking. But for a boat that's showing as an AIS target, it just needs to be a quick confirmatory glance.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:42   #13

Boat: C&C 40

I think a 7.62/308 would have better effect.
Ted.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 17:07   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
...................And as for slow passes - I truly hate all of the VHF slow pass chatter on the ICW. I have an ocean going sailboat and am used to rocking and I also know how to move over until you pass and then cut back at 45 degrees into your wake. If you come up behind S/V Finlandia in the ditch just say "Hey Finlandia, I am about to pass you and hold your speed. It won't happen very often as I avoid the ditch as much as possible, but if it does I will deal with your wake.
You are forgetting those of us who only cruise slightly faster than you. If you cruise at six knots and I cruise at seven knots and want to pass you, unless you slow down a bit, this pass could take a long time and a long distance.

A "slow pass" works better in most situations.
Old 25-11-2017, 18:55   #15

As the original system architect and requirements analyst for the USCG Nationwide AIS program, I follow this thread and other AIS-related threads with a great deal of mirth. It warms the cockles of my cybernetic heart to hear that AIS is ever growing in usage and enthusiasm by (most of) the boating community. I can tell you it was certainly not that way at the start. I once sat in the back of a room in Annapolis and recall death threats whispered at USCG and DHS officials. I still wonder at the silent minority out there that refuse to transmit their MMSI, vessel name, etc. Is cost still a factor? Is it a perception of invasion of privacy? Is it the old school tars who still aren’t happy about mandatory navigation and anchor lights?
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, icw