Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 21:09   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore
Advice on approach to Fajardo, P.R. from SE

I plan to depart Martinique next week, head NW, pass to the west of St. Croix, east of Isla de Vieques, and then into Fajardo, Puerto Rico. Looking at the charts (25650 then 25667) I'm wondering if it would be best to duck in under/south of Cayo Largo at the G "3" and head north staying in the markers to west of it,, or stay outside longer and sail in between the north end of Cayo Largo and Isla Palominos which seems cleaner. In either case circle around north side of Isleta Marina and straight in from there.
I notice that despite fairly persistent easterlies, swells from the north do develop that could force me to motor up the more coastal route (west of Cayo Largo). Any advice from anyone who has made this,, or even reads charts pretty well ? Any comments on Fajardo also appreciated..thinking Puerto Chico marina. Thank you in advance, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:19   #2

Boat: Benetau 321
Re: Advice on approach to Fajardo, P.R. from SE

I think it would depend on where you are headed . If you will be stopping at Puerto del Rey, I would stay south of G3 and then jibe into PDR.

If you are going on the north side of Fajardo, you could either go up the channel that runs north to south parallel to Cayo Largo , or follow your planned route between CL and Palominos. When I sail from PDR to Palominos( just yesterday) I take the channel.

Definitely stay north of Isleta, and be very careful if you are ever between Isleta and Isla de Ramos as there is a nasty reef there.

I am rather new to sailing and the area as I was previously in Palmas del Mar. There are many shallow areas around Fajardo but in general its really nice.

Best wishes on your trip.
Ray Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 31-2

Unless you are headed to Puerto del Rey, enter Fajardo north of Isla Palomino. You will be on a safe approach to all other marinas from there. I dont see a reason to sail around the reefs. A brand new 7 million dollar yacht on delivery was run aground here last week.
That said, Puerto Chico is great but is usually full. Call them. Sea Lovers Marina is right beside it, they usually have space. Sea Lovers and Isleta are the most economical marinas around.
Villa Marina is right there also. Sun Bay Marina is on the next cove south.
All marinas have electricity and water. Some are more secure than others.
Isleta has haul out facilities.
If headed to Puerto del Rey approach from G3.
If there is swell it sometimes filters down through to the north of vieques but shloudnt be a problem. Sailing from east of Vieques to the north of Palomino should have you on a comfortable broad reach.
Quique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:00   #4

Thank you Quique and Ray Majors. I had almost given up hope on a reply. Think I like the idea of staying north of Palominos. Have to say, though, that my Noaa chart 25667 does not show an Isla de Ramos near Isleta. Does anyone have a lat and long on that ? This boat draws 2 meters and I'd really like to stay away from anything skinny. In any case, trip has now been delayed for 3 weeks,, parts for injector fuel pump on his Yanmar are very slow to arrive. I'll have to let the Puerto Chico marina know we're running late. Pappy
Old 27-01-2016, 10:08   #5

Please ignore request for lat/long on Isla de Ramos.. just saw the tip of it (and reef) on lower edge of chart about one nm SSE of Isleta. Thanks again, Pappy