Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 22:40   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Dirkdig, I'd love to say "where was my invite" but I think 35 knots in Bass Straight would have had me spewing all over your beautiful Lagoon 440 timber interior!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 23:19   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not real good if there is an early autumn break, ie mid March, and a few weeks of westerlys. I would consider researching some places you could leave her 'just in case'...
That bit of country west of Otway and up to Backstairs is a little exposed to the SW to say the least.
Good luck with it.
What about leaving for Tassie earlier? Say early Jan. Three weeks to Hobart, two weeks at home, then three weeks back, should be home by the end of Feb?

And yes, Backstairs is horrible! And that was in January too!
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 23:50   #48

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Oh... a schedule.....Oh Dear....
Sooner gone ... more time up your sleeve.

Early January... like...um.... just now? 44 - - Cape Grim Real Time Wind Observations

Why not head for King Island... then NE tasmania... i.e. Launceston... spend a couple of weeks in northern Tasmania working your way back along the north coast and then head home on a good wx window? Less stress... more fun....

Hobart to Adelaide in 3 weeks is quite do-able in a perfect world.... unfortunately the world isn't perfect. One April a few years ago in a land far far away it took me 4 day sails to go 100 miles in a general northwesterly direction. Same month a few years earlier the same trip took me over 3 weeks. You probably could sit in Port Davey for a few days and then get a perfect slant but its just not something that can be relied on. That said I did know an american boat that left Strahan in Feb and had a dream run all the way to Fremantle via the head of the bight.

Your boat, your call. Leaving earlier would be my choice.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:19   #49

I've just been looking at the latest 4 day wx map , while things look pretty sad just now they are suggesting a big fat high will form over the next few days.. Colour Forecast map for next 4 days
I used to try and depart Vic just after a front had passed through and invariably ended up motoring for the last bit before Tas.... ( that was on the yacht... not my last day job where you just went every afternoon regardless).
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35   #50

Hmmm. Need to think about this some more. Don't want it to be some kind of water based drag race but I really felt six weeks would do it. Planning this for Jan/Feb 2015 for the record. Boat is not quite ready yet.

I know it needs more time to do it properly but we are 20 years from proper cruising and we really want to do tassie sooner than that.

I figured we would hop from harbour to harbour letting the weather set the schedule. I know this will mean we spend more time in some places than is ideal and not as much as we'd like in others but we accept that the trip would be a compromise. With luck we would get at least a couple of days in a few of the good spots.

Matt
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45   #51

Oh... I thought you were leaving next week

Getting there is the easy bit... but in the summer I would expect a lot of easterlies and if it was me I would go down the west coast and back up the west coast... but then thats just me....

How is the wind vane project coming along?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:16   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Oh... I thought you were leaving next week Getting there is the easy bit... but in the summer I would expect a lot of easterlies and if it was me I would go down the west coast and back up the west coast... but then thats just me.... How is the wind vane project coming along?
It does sound like the west coast us pretty special but I just can't let go of the east coast dream quite yet. It's a dream I have held for twenty years or more since I used to bush walk regularly in tassie during summer.

Wind vane remains in limbo while I have dealt with more prosaic stuff such as completely replacing the cabin sole which was horrid and had been put in without stringers or any kind of proper support. Very odd construction. All good now though. Would like to have a working wind vane by the time we do tassie. The auto helm is ok but chews power and I would like some redundancy. Though at this stage we are planning on four crew which should give us more options for steering anyway. But wind vane is a high priority item on the project list and I have the materials ready to go
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47   #53

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Dirkdig, I'd love to say "where was my invite" but I think 35 knots in Bass Straight would have had me spewing all over your beautiful Lagoon 440 timber interior!
Had one sailor on board who was unloading everywhere, the rest slept the whole trip.

Was very interesting at times,but i had confidence in the boat
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:33   #54

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post

Had one sailor on board who was unloading everywhere, the rest slept the whole trip.

Was very interesting at times,but i had confidence in the boat
Well done on that crossing. Living here in Tassie, I have set my boat up so I don't need crew, with all control lines leeding to the cockpit,as the crew are often unreliable when the going gets tough.
I am sure you are enjoying the Tamar. Anchor in Spring Bay opposite the sea eagles nest, its one of my fav spots.
Wayno
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
hmm, which university, which professor? Lee
Just a degree so no prof. They don't recognise the existence of undergrads. But LaTrobe was my alma mater.[/QUOTE]

starting to wonder if a degree in mathematics, history of bushwalking, xc skiing, mountain climbing??, is a characteristic of s42 sailors.

lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Read Tasmania - good info and for $5 you get real honest info. Jim Cate, what ground tackle do you use I bought a sarca 2 sizes bigger but have not tried it in weed.
Sarca Excel seems to be working well in SA weed since we bought it a few months ago. Second anchor is the Stockless Marsh, the weed anchor staple in this part of the world if you don't want to carry an Admiralty.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
starting to wonder if a degree in mathematics, history of bushwalking, xc skiing, mountain climbing??, is a characteristic of s42 sailors.

lee
Must be something to explain the loss of rational thought processes...

Come to think of it, the whole extreme outdoor sports thing is nearly adequate preparation for bringing a S42 into a marina pen.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote