Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-01-2014, 17:38   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Dirkdig,

Yes, it's a beautiful trip up the Tamar reminds me of the California wine country.

GILow:

Honestly, I do think allowing only one month for a the trip from Adelaide to the west coast of Tassie and then back via the east coast, the Kent Group and Wilson's Prom is going to make you feel pressed for time. Remember the advice about not sailing to a schedule.....

In your shoes, I'd be looking at Open CPN and figuring how long a weather window I'd need to shoot through to Macquarie Hbr. and on the flood at that. At 5 knots, that looks like 6.3 to 6.4 days. For the sake of best utilization of limited time, it would be an overnighter to get you clear of Kangaroo Is., leaving it to port, and once you are clear of the rocky bits at the Adelaide end, it is all open sailing. The course has a lot of east in it, so that you will be able to use different windows from the ones people leaving from Eden use, and you'll get a chance to try out your sea-going watch system for the remainder of the trip. The downside is the lack of frequent trips ashore. But it will give you more time for exploration at the Tasmania end.

For your return trip, if you're lucky, the subtropical ridge will give you easterlies north of the Kent Group, and again you might be able to have the wind on your quarter for some of the trip back. By the way, anchorage in the Kent group and around Deal Is. will provide protection from many wind directions, but no single one offers all-round protection.

Ann

Old 03-01-2014, 21:18   #32
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Thanks Ann I will factor in your ideas. Currently we are working on the assumption that we will do it in six weeks. Three weeks to Hobart then maybe leave the boat there for a few weeks then come back down and do the return journey in three weeks keeping open minded about the return itinerary.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:06   #33

If you break 4 and 2, and leave Manera in the Tamar at Beauty Pt. that might work out better. Golly, it's tight, though. Had you considered 3 breaks? If you allow one week for the Gordon, one week for Pt. Davey, then how much for the rest?????

It will really require the first almost week to get you to Strahan/Macquarie Hbr. It's a long way to travel in the time allowed, with a schedule. Remember, your days' runs may be longer, with the wind aft, on the last part of your way home, try to do it in the easterlies north of the subtropical ridge. How long is Manera's waterline?

Maybe you and your good lady need to have a think about the goals for the trip. Maybe you can save much of it for later, if that suits. But from how it looks to me, you're going to miss a great lot!

Ann
Old 04-01-2014, 13:37   #34

GILow,

It might be a good idea to make friends with someone from the BoM. I remember hearing cruiser talk that March was the best month to head east across the Bight. I do not know (a) if that is correct, or if say, late Feb. is just as good, or (b) if it is correct, it actually is due to the placement of the subtropical ridge, or (c) if it only bears along a narrow geographical band near to the mainland of Australia.

Also, I did not mention it before, but if you do go direct from Adelaide to Macquarie Hbr., you should expect to have a couple of frontal passages, if the weather behaves as it has this year. They're just whizzing through!

Something else that might work for you would be Adelaide, Islands, Tamar. That would allow you your getting off spots, and the perceived safety of being close to land masses.

Never think rescue is easy or safe. The mast and wires are a danger to rescue helicopters; when ships come, there is the rope ladder to climb; and transfers of people from distressed vessel to ship, fishing boat or another yacht are fraught with peril due to the sea state and sometimes weather, too, as rain makes things still more slippery.

Ann
Old 04-01-2014, 13:43   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
GILow,

It might be a good idea to make friends with someone from the BoM. I remember hearing cruiser talk that March was the best month to head east across the Bight. I do not know (a) if that is correct, or if say, late Feb. is just as good, or (b) if it is correct, it actually is due to the placement of the subtropical ridge, or (c) if it only bears along a narrow geographical band near to the mainland of Australia.

Also, I did not mention it before, but if you do go direct from Adelaide to Macquarie Hbr., you should expect to have a couple of frontal passages, if the weather behaves as it has this year. They're just whizzing through!

Something else that might work for you would be Adelaide, Islands, Tamar. That would allow you your getting off spots, and the perceived safety of being close to land masses.

Never think rescue is easy or safe. The mast and wires are a danger to rescue helicopters; when ships come, there is the rope ladder to climb; and transfers of people from distressed vessel to ship, fishing boat or another yacht are fraught with peril due to the sea state and sometimes weather, too, as rain makes things still more slippery.

Ann
Crikey. You woke up in a cheerful frame of mind this morning!

I'm thinking it's better than 50-50 that we'll survive.
Old 04-01-2014, 13:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
GILow,

It might be a good idea to make friends with someone from the BoM.
I was thinking of going one better and applying for a job there. With a degree in Mathematics and Computational Methods I figured I might do a better job as sadly, they just don't seem to be getting Gulf St Vincent winds right at the moment. Not saying I could do a better job but it might be worth a try.

Matt
Old 04-01-2014, 14:50   #37

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
With a degree in Mathematics and Computational Methods I figured I might do a better job as sadly, they just don't seem to be getting Gulf St Vincent winds right at the moment.

Matt
Good luck with telling them that at the job interview

I'd be very wary of heading directo to Strahan.... bugger of a coast to be caught on in a strong westerly. Its an overnight run down from Hunter or Three Hummock Islands... and there are good anchorages to be found in any winds around those two even if you do have to move about a bit, sometimes on a daily basis. However the tide does run quite strongly between King and Hunter esp near the land and can kick up a nasty sea. Two ports not mentioned in the NW.... Smithton where you will need a local fisherman to show you the way and Wynyard where you need quite a bit of tide to get in as you can walk across the entrance at low water. Good anchorage under Table Cape while waiting outside Wynyard in westerly winds.

Feb is typically a very settled month. In my experience ( 180 crossings a year for 18 years ...) Winter is the most settled season but it is winter...
Around August often blows hard for up to 3 weeks at a time. Ditto in the Autumn but you don't know when the settled weather is going to break... could be any time from mid March to late April. ( A drought in SE Australia = good weather in Bass Strait... a wet year ashore = bad weather in Bass Strait ).
Storms ( 1 or 2 day screamers as opposed to strong frontal systems that you can see coming ) usually occur from October through to early January although a few years ago there was one in Feb.

Six weeks? Sounds a bit rushed to me, I once spent four weeks just up the Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaglecrk.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	73293  
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 16:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yeah, might not be the best approach.
Old 04-01-2014, 16:57   #39

Quote:
In my experience ( 180 crossings a year for 18 years ...)
Ok... either Princess of Tasmania or that red Brambles boat that went back and forth every other day?

Or just a really compulsive sailor?
Old 04-01-2014, 17:03   #40

Quote:

I'd be very wary of heading directo to Strahan.... bugger of a coast to be caught on in a strong westerly. Its an overnight run down from Hunter or Three Hummock Islands... and there are good anchorages to be found in any winds around those two even if you do have to move about a bit, sometimes on a daily basis. However the tide does run quite strongly between King and Hunter esp near the land and can kick up a nasty sea. Two ports not mentioned in the NW.... Smithton where you will need a local fisherman to show you the way and Wynyard where you need quite a bit of tide to get in as you can walk across the entrance at low water. Good anchorage under Table Cape while waiting outside Wynyard in westerly winds.

Feb is typically a very settled month. In my experience ( 180 crossings a year for 18 years ...) Winter is the most settled season but it is winter...
Around August often blows hard for up to 3 weeks at a time. Ditto in the Autumn but you don't know when the settled weather is going to break... could be any time from mid March to late April. ( A drought in SE Australia = good weather in Bass Strait... a wet year ashore = bad weather in Bass Strait ).
Storms ( 1 or 2 day screamers as opposed to strong frontal systems that you can see coming ) usually occur from October through to early January although a few years ago there was one in Feb.

Six weeks? Sounds a bit rushed to me, I once spent four weeks just up the Gordon
Some good planning tips there thanks. Seems like early Feb departure from Adelaide will be the best compromise for the weather, which is consistent with the Admiralty charts. Sadly we both work, and I am over 20 years from not working, so giving Tassie enough time to do it justice now is just not an option. 6 weeks will be the absolute maximum so that means a flying visit and trying not to get in a situation where we are sailing in sub-optimal weather.

Matt
Old 04-01-2014, 21:02   #41

With a degree in Mathematics and Computational Methods
Matt[/QUOTE]

hmm, which university, which professor?

Lee
Old 04-01-2014, 21:27   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Seems like early Feb departure from Adelaide will be the best compromise for the weather, which is consistent with the Admiralty charts.
Matt
Yep, It would be my call but I would be making plans to leave the boat somewhere in Tassie over the winter. If caught in easterlies on your way across Currie is a nice secure spot or even Surpise Bay right at the southern end of King Island. Another nice little harbour that is rarely visited is Port Sorrel, just east of Devonport.
Cheers,
El Ping

Hibb's Pyramid, west coast Tassie, February.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hibbs Pyramid.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	73303  
Old 04-01-2014, 23:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
With a degree in Mathematics and Computational Methods Matt
hmm, which university, which professor? Lee[/QUOTE]

Just a degree so no prof. They don't recognise the existence of undergrads. But LaTrobe was my alma mater.
Old 04-01-2014, 23:05   #44

Quote:
Yep, It would be my call but I would be making plans to leave the boat somewhere in Tassie over the winter. If caught in easterlies on your way across Currie is a nice secure spot or even Surpise Bay right at the southern end of King Island. Another nice little harbour that is rarely visited is Port Sorrel, just east of Devonport. Cheers, El Ping Hibb's Pyramid, west coast Tassie, February.
Nice places but we want to bring the boat back before winter. (It might get lonely!). So the break would only be two weeks at most. Fly the flag at work, feed the cats... That sort of thing. Has us returning mid March. Not ideal?
Old 04-01-2014, 23:11   #45

Not real good if there is an early autumn break, ie mid March, and a few weeks of westerlys. I would consider researching some places you could leave her 'just in case'...
That bit of country west of Otway and up to Backstairs is a little exposed to the SW to say the least.
Good luck with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: