Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 06:45   #16
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
If you have the time and decide not to "risk" the West Coast passage, you can always get to Davey from around the bottom - its a long day sail to Port Davey from Recherche Bay.
After the glowing reports on the West Coast from CF members I think I would be constantly wondering what I missed out on if I skipped the west coast.

The point is made well that with planning and patience the right weather can be picked and the trip is well worth making. I loved Strahan when I visited 13 years ago, I think I just needed to find the courage to try the west coast route and the advice here helps.
__________________

__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:50   #17
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As mentioned, Macquarie Harbour , the Gordon River and Port Davey are superb destinations. Try to allow at least a week and better two weeks in Davey... just a fascinating place!

I'm not good at answering very general queries, but will be happy to attempt answering any more specific ones that you might have.
Jim, I think your advice here answers one general question very well. Should I go down the West Coast? The answer is clearly yes.

I note from your signature that you are currently a long way from your boat, will you be back in Tassie soon?
__________________

__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:11   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,444
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Read Tasmania - good info and for $5 you get real honest info.

Jim Cate, what ground tackle do you use I bought a sarca 2 sizes bigger but have not tried it in weed.
We currently use a 60 lb Manson Supreme on 10 mm chain. On our previous 36 ft boat (in which we did many Tassie trips) we used a 20 kg Bruce.

The Bruce was hopeless in heavy weed, but in most anchorages we visited one can find patches where the weed is missing. We have not tried the Manson in heavy weed in Tassie... works ok in thin growth but we still try to avoid those bottoms.

Lots of folks using Sarcas in Oz, but I have no personal experience with either of their designs so can't comment, other than to say that I see no reason that they shouldn't work if properly sized and deployed.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:22   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,444
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Jim, I think your advice here answers one general question very well. Should I go down the West Coast? The answer is clearly yes.

I note from your signature that you are currently a long way from your boat, will you be back in Tassie soon?
GI, another option is to go down the E coast and return up the W coast. One way of looking at it is that on the E coast there are numerous anchorages good in S'ly quadrant winds and fewer that are good in N'lies. So, when trying to get S, there are more places to hole up during adverse wind conditions. Obviously one can do it either way!

As to our plans... we are here dealing with some medical issues, and as of yet they are not resolved. This means that we can't predict our return date, but rest assured that it will be ASAP... we really miss our normal lives (though perhaps not the low single digit temps!) . Meanwhile Weyalan stops by and gives our Insatiable a checkup and a pat on the bum every so often, so we know that she is OK. Thanks, Patrick!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 17:59   #20
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

So, given I am now reconsidering EVERY assumption I made, I should probably question my assumption that January or February are the best time.

Based on a desire for the most trouble free trip possible, doing a full circumnavigation, when would you all recommend making the trip?

At this stage, I am assuming I need to put aside a month, and that, unless I can find more time, I will skip the Furneaux Group and keep them for another trip in the future so I am not rushing them.

Matt
__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 20:24   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Its a well established fact that weather forecasting Tasmania is a crap-shoot at best and sometimes it seems that the weather gods view Tasmania as their own comedy show. January / February are a pretty sound bet, though, but the point is that there is no 100% safe period - you usually get pretty stable weather in March... we cruised for about 18 days and had 25 knots most days! I guess the thing is, though, that once you make it across the pond there are so many good anchorages that you only have to do relatively short day sails and there are plenty of bullet-proof anchorages for most every wind direction.
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 20:38   #22
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Its a well established fact that weather forecasting Tasmania is a crap-shoot at best and sometimes it seems that the weather gods view Tasmania as their own comedy show.
An eloquent summary, thank you.

I derived Jan/Feb from the popular wisdom for Bass Strait, and the wind roses from the Admiralty charts. Seems the logic was not completely flawed.

So the plan stays much the same, some time from mid January depending on people/work/time, but now looking at a full counter-clockwise navigation.

Excited!

Matt
__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:21   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Posts: 80
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Its a well established fact that weather forecasting Tasmania is a crap-shoot at best and sometimes it seems that the weather gods view Tasmania as their own comedy show.
Weyalan - Dunno if I agree with you that that forecasting in Tas is a crap-shoot. My brother has been with the BoM for over 30 years with Marine and Aviation forecasting his specialty. He has provided forecasts to many S2H competitors incl a few winners, Americas Cup syndicates, Round the World races teams, ARC rallies as well as doing stuff for mates on delivery trips etc etc. He also runs lots of marine weather courses around the country for cruising & racing yachtsmen... He has a masters in applied science and currently doing a doctorate. His day time job is forecasting for one of the RAAF FA18 squadrons...

People love to have a crack at the BoM, but in reality it is not supported by fact. His opinion on the accuracy of modern day forecasting differs greatly from us mere mortals and I think you would agree that in 95% of cases the forecasts are spot-on these days - especially 1 to 3 days out. Pretty good odds it you want to take them. For the 5% of the time things go a little awry, you would normally get a feel that things aren't right and constantly seek updates from a number of sources to see how things are panning out so you can plan in advance that anchorage or passage. Sometimes - esp around the Tas coast people fail to take into account the impact of the effects of the mountainous terrain has on weather at a local level and just rely on general broad scale forecasts and wonder why they get the crap beat out of them when they stick their nose around Tasman into that SW, or have no wind on the east coast in the lee of the island when the forecast is calling for 30knt westerlies..


Just say'n.....
__________________
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:19   #24
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Well, I don't want to bag the BOM, they do a lot of really good work, but honestly, when we came around from Melbourne to Adelaide in January, not one day was even close to the forecast wind pattern in the entire 7 day trip. Seriously, I was getting emails/texts from friends asking how were handling wind XXX when we dawdling around in wind YYY. At least it reassured me that I had not goofed with my weather notes taken each day from the BOM site.

In their defence, I put it down to climate change stuffing up the models, but by the end I was probably a bit acerbic when discussing forecasts.

Matt
__________________
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:45   #25
Registered User
 
Ambler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tasmania
Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Posts: 90
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Hi Matt,
I would also advise going down the West coast and up the East coast. The Northerlies are delightful on the west coast. Plan to arrive at Hells Gates in the morning (an overnight passage) which gives you time to assess the entry at slack water high tide. You can anchor in Pilot Bay while you wait. When navigating the west coast stay well outside the soundings as there are many uncharted rocks in close that only the fisherman dare to venture. Good provisioning in Strahan before venturing south to Port Davey. Plan at least 3 or more weeks food for Port Davey. It is a stunning place.
Cruising guides will give you the best anchorages in various conditions
RYCT Anchorage Guide of Tassie
Maritime Tasmania by Brettingham-Moore
D'Entrecasteaux Waterways Guide

Last January I sailed from Adelaide through Backstairs, North of King and into the Tamar direct but that was a yacht delivery.
I have circumnavigated twice and what previous posts, Jim, Anne and Giant say is good advice.
Beware of the big tides and currents in Northern Tasmania. Passages like Hunter, Banks Strait, Franklin Sound etc should be planned with the current and avoided when wind and current are counter. Also to be avoided is passing too close around any island in Bass Strait with strong current against wind.
Don't go hugging coastlines in your cruise around Tassie unless you really know what the weather is doing. If in any doubt, stay out! Many anchorages are weedy so apply your South Australian knowledge and experience
You will absolutely love your cruise and the help fellow boaters are willing to give (such as Trevor in Strahan with his local knowledge charts of the harbour).
A return to SA via the East coast, Flinders, Deal, Wilsons Prom and the Victorian coast will be the icing on the cake.
Plan your voyage well and you will reap the rewards
__________________
Ambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 23:44   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Sorry Bill, no disrespect to the BoM was intended.

But I think you have misunderstood me.

You are correct: BoM forecasting for Tasmania is excellent. Usually 100% spot-on out to about 3 or 4 days ahead, and pretty good out to 6 or 7. Any longer than that, and it is, by BoM's own admission, progressively more speculative.

When I said that "forecasting in Tas is a crap shoot", I meant that "trying to predict a good time of year for a multi-week cruise based on the evidence of previous years is not necessarily going to get you a great weather window"

Wanna know what the weather is going to be like in 3 days? Ask BoM - they'll nail it 99% of the time.

Wanna know what the weather is gonna be like next February... roll a dice and cross your fingers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit28 View Post
Weyalan - Dunno if I agree with you that that forecasting in Tas is a crap-shoot. My brother has been with the BoM for over 30 years with Marine and Aviation forecasting his specialty. He has provided forecasts to many S2H competitors incl a few winners, Americas Cup syndicates, Round the World races teams, ARC rallies as well as doing stuff for mates on delivery trips etc etc. He also runs lots of marine weather courses around the country for cruising & racing yachtsmen... He has a masters in applied science and currently doing a doctorate. His day time job is forecasting for one of the RAAF FA18 squadrons...

People love to have a crack at the BoM, but in reality it is not supported by fact. His opinion on the accuracy of modern day forecasting differs greatly from us mere mortals and I think you would agree that in 95% of cases the forecasts are spot-on these days - especially 1 to 3 days out. Pretty good odds it you want to take them. For the 5% of the time things go a little awry, you would normally get a feel that things aren't right and constantly seek updates from a number of sources to see how things are panning out so you can plan in advance that anchorage or passage. Sometimes - esp around the Tas coast people fail to take into account the impact of the effects of the mountainous terrain has on weather at a local level and just rely on general broad scale forecasts and wonder why they get the crap beat out of them when they stick their nose around Tasman into that SW, or have no wind on the east coast in the lee of the island when the forecast is calling for 30knt westerlies..


Just say'n.....
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:09   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,444
Re: Adelaide to Tasmanian East Coast via King Is or Furneaux Grp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Sorry Bill, no disrespect to the BoM was intended.

But I think you have misunderstood me.

You are correct: BoM forecasting for Tasmania is excellent. Usually 100% spot-on out to about 3 or 4 days ahead, and pretty good out to 6 or 7. Any longer than that, and it is, by BoM's own admission, progressively more speculative.

When I said that "forecasting in Tas is a crap shoot", I meant that "trying to predict a good time of year for a multi-week cruise based on the evidence of previous years is not necessarily going to get you a great weather window"

Wanna know what the weather is going to be like in 3 days? Ask BoM - they'll nail it 99% of the time.

Wanna know what the weather is gonna be like next February... roll a dice and cross your fingers!
Well said, mate! I completely agree.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:55   #28
Registered User
 
dirkdig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Geelong,Australia
Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Posts: 838
Are you able to take a yacht up the Tamar to Launceston?
Just wondering about ant bridges or powerlines?
__________________
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56   #29
Registered User
 
Ambler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tasmania
Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Posts: 90
Yes you can take a yacht up the Tamar to Launceston. It takes about 6 hours with the flooding tide. Call for a marina pen at Seaport marina, Wharf space at Tamar river cruises or mooring at Tamar marine.
There are free limited time pontoons to moor alongside at Georgetown, Beauty Point, Kayena, Deviot, Hillwood, Gravelly Beach, Rosevers Hotel and Windermere.
Enjoy your cruise up the Tamar
Wayno
__________________
Wayne
yachtambler.blogspot.com
Ambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 16:06   #30
Registered User
 
dirkdig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Geelong,Australia
Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Posts: 838
Got in last night and sailing up the river now, stunning spot.
Had a quick trip from Victoria too,25-35 knots westerly,fun sail
__________________

__________________
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.