Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32   #1

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m
Adding my own data to electronic chart

Hi,

I am in the process of converting a sailing catamaran into a commercial fishing boat.

I have a database with details of good fishing marks and wrecks which I have built up from my own fishing trips and data gathered from friends. I would like to be able to overlay this data onto a chart on my laptop, so that the marks and wrecks are added to the charts, and mouseover pops up a box with the data.

I haven't bought any navigation software, so I am looking for charting software that would allow me to do something like this. I have programming skills, but have never used NMEA ( if this is what I need to do..?)

Any help much appreciated,

John
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 14:24   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
First thing I'd do is download SeaClear or another one of the freebie software and see if you can get it working there. For importing waypoints into SeaClear, there are definitely people in here that can help. Search this forum for the SeaClear thread(s).

If that doesn't help you come up with a solution, I would look for forums on the GPS and/or chart software the waypoints came from (and/or headed to). Every system behaves very different.

Case in point: I use Nobeltec. But as a backup, I always load the raw routes on to my standalone Garmin GPS. To get routes from Nobeltec into my Garmin, I set the GPS communications to NMEA and export the waypoints and routes from Nobeltec to my GPS. But the waypoints and routes are named sequentially, and there's no way I can fix it. So, I set the GPS back to Garmin mode and download the routes from the GPS to Garmin's MapSource software, rename the routes and waypoints (usually according to the Intracoastal or river mile markers), delete the old routes from the GPS, then load the renamed version back up to the GPS. This convoluted method is needed because there is no way I know to get the routes and waypoints from Nobeltec to MapSource. (As an aside: It sounds convoluted, but I've done it so often, I can be a mile from the next waypoint, have the mate steer a compass heading to it, grab the GPS from the helm and get the new routes ready to go before the waypoint comes up.)

Most any combination you get will require a slightly different solution. So, unless the exact combination you are contemplating has been done by someone in here, you are more likely to find the answer in a forum dedicated to the software/hardware you will be using.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I use maptech, and drop anchors, way points, and numerous other convenient marks onto my chart.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts