Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17   #61

Re: ActiveCaptain discontinued?

Hi, from my point of view, will AC be just the first step. For me it is just a question off time that garmin will discontinuing the navionics app for the different platforms. Because even more people uses their ipads and android tablets for navigation. How a manufacturer of chartplotter will find this? garmin offers expensive blue charts in opposite to the navionics app solution. How long do you think garmin will keep this apps alive. Maybe a few month...
They have done this already when they bought Navigon for car navigation. They have shut down the app, just the existing ones can be used a year further or so. Garmin is a fan of closed systems and proprietary*interfaces. I don't like such a business and I don't support it.
I will be interessting to see how long b&g will get navionics charts or what will happen to the pricing.

Just my 2 cents.

BR
Tom

TomTom2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 09:15   #62

It is Garmin's right to squash open source solutions so they can force customers to buy more of their proprietary products and lock customers in. Our only recourse is to complain in forums and/or take our business elsewhere. The latter option is difficult if you're already deeply invested in Garmin products.

Other crowd-sourced solutions will arise, but it will be years before they reach the critical mass of AC. Then it will be just a matter of time before they in turn sell out their users to the highest bidder.

Garmin is not evil. Corporations don't have souls. They exist to create profit for their stakeholders. Hopefully they realize AC will die without the "active" support of those who keep it updated. Hopefully they believe it will ultimately benefit them as a corporation to keep it open and available to all. Of course, hope is not a strategy.

Fortunately we just purchased a new yacht and were able to spec in the electronics. We've gone away from Garmin entirely. We're just over the continued abuse of their customer base. Shutting down the Bluechart App with no notice was sort of the last straw for us. The AC issue is just confirmation. Hey, it's their right, just as it's our right to go elsewhere to buy.

Greg099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 06:59   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg099 View Post
It is Garmin's right to squash open source solutions so they can force customers to buy more of their proprietary products and lock customers in. Our only recourse is to complain in forums and/or take our business elsewhere. The latter option is difficult if you're already deeply invested in Garmin products.

Other crowd-sourced solutions will arise, but it will be years before they reach the critical mass of AC. Then it will be just a matter of time before they in turn sell out their users to the highest bidder.

Garmin is not evil. Corporations don't have souls. They exist to create profit for their stakeholders. Hopefully they realize AC will die without the "active" support of those who keep it updated. Hopefully they believe it will ultimately benefit them as a corporation to keep it open and available to all. Of course, hope is not a strategy.

Fortunately we just purchased a new yacht and were able to spec in the electronics. We've gone away from Garmin entirely. We're just over the continued abuse of their customer base. Shutting down the Bluechart App with no notice was sort of the last straw for us. The AC issue is just confirmation. Hey, it's their right, just as it's our right to go elsewhere to buy.
Yeah, the Bluechart App thing is the final transgression that made us look away from Garmin for our next electronics purchase. You can only be kicked by a company so hard, before you have had enough.
Old 22-12-2018, 07:24   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 30

Slightly off subject, we always put Garmin avionics in our C-172, (never used it myself, it was a working aircraft on the other coast). Nonetheless, never had any complaints so I purchased a nuvi 3597 for my truck. I thought it would knock my socks off. My android does a better job of calculating routes and other nuts and bolts type stuff. Windows 10 doesn't recognize the device for updates (Garmin Express), (OK. That's Microsoft). And then there's active captain...

I have C-MAP and apparently the app to use now is Embark.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 09:24   #65
Are you serious?

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I was on Active Captain this morning, it's working just fine.
Old 24-12-2018, 09:21   #66

Boat: Seaward 25, Catalina 350

FWIW, Garmin just updated Navionics last week. It now includes Active Captain database in it (a big plus in my book). The app is now free. It is the HD app for all devices now, so no separate apps for phone and tablet. You pay for a yearly subscription to Navionics+, and whatever time you have remaining on your current subscription transfers over. The yearly price is more than before, but still very reasonable for what you get.

Compared to some of the other apps out there, I've always found Navionics consistently good, adding features rather than taking them away, and up-front about their pricing.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:16   #67

Here is the key functionality I want to see come back:

1 - When using the Map functionality, they should bring back the GPS coordinates. Seems like this was taken away so you have to buy the charts instead of using the NOAA online charts for true planning

2 - Planning/routes! I had years of routes and gps coordinates saved in the old active captain. Now, that data is gone. I dont eve have the ability to do routing anymore. What a lost opportunity

3 - How can a user submit marks and poi anymore? Used to be you clicked a long time and then you had the dialogue available to put in marks. Now, it seems like all the community can do is leave a review. Not input new content. AM I missing something?

4 - seeing other peoples routes and gps coordinates. Was very useful when I was surveying a new area and wanted to know how to get around in the deepest water!

night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain