Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 12:26   #16

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers
Re: Active Captain on I Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hycslim View Post
Do I need to buy a chart package and if so which charts do you use?
Both Skipper and SeaIq can download and install all the NOAA charts for free.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:48   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Active captain on the ipad is junk, even the developer says not to use it. He's now focused on the AC integration with chartplotters
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:06   #18

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Here is the Active Captain URL with a list of all the Windows/mac/iOS/Android application available:

https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php

Just for the iPad, there are 10 apps available that are using the AC database.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Here is the Active Captain URL with a list of all the Windows/mac/iOS/Android application available:

https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php

Just for the iPad, there are 10 apps available that are using the AC database.
I think t he OP is talking about the actual "ACtive Captain" Ipad app. I'd agree use one of the other apps. the AC app by itself is junk. doesn't zoom in,. doesn't show the AC data, just not useful. I use AC with SeaIQ works well that way.
Old 18-11-2016, 03:53   #20

Thanks for the info, went with a Garmin app and bought blue charts for 40$, then downloaded all AC data and it works well. I still prefer to use the PC in the evening but this gives us quick access in the cockpit during the day.

Cheers

Allan
hycslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 04:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hycslim View Post
Thanks for the info, went with a Garmin app and bought blue charts for 40$, then downloaded all AC data and it works well. I still prefer to use the PC in the evening but this gives us quick access in the cockpit during the day.

Cheers

Allan
Be careful using an Ipad in the cockpit, keep it in the shade or it will overheat on you. We had that happen several times in the same trip this past summer. and it take a bout 30 minutes to cool down each time it decides to overheat!!
Old 18-11-2016, 05:02   #22

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Both Skipper and SeaIq can download and install all the NOAA charts for free.
Skipper is end-of-life "sunset" is the term they used:
https://www.tryskipper.com/apps/skip...5586-112963053

I liked skipper because it used raster charts. All the others that integrate AC use vector charts, which contain less info and are prone to rendering errors (especially when zoomed out).

The Navionics app is an excellent full-featured nav program on iOS but it's "community layer" is not the equal of AC. (Navionics is far better than the Garman app for navigation) So I use Navionics for navigation and another for AC data. Not sure yet what I'll settle on for AC.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 18:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
Love the Garmin app but if it uses Active Captain data, you would never know it. The "community edits" are a sad implementation.

I use an old version of "navimatics charts and tides" that I don't think you can buy. It's implementation of Active Captain data is excellent, pretty much like the website.

Finding a good app for Active Captain data is challenging. Active Captain appears to be More interested in eBoatCards these days.
Thought I’d bump the thread because of the GARMIN AC acquisition. I can’t find a good AC viewer. I too used Navimatics but the new release required me to repurchase the charts, help was non existent, and they haven’t updated the app in almost 3 years. Sounds dead to me.

AC Locations help has a teaser that says the AC database is coming, so is Christmas.

Anyone have any better ideas?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 18:58   #24

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I just installed Aqua Map on my iPad and it is a very good viewer for AC content. So far, it's just armchair use, so I can't vouch for it as a nav app. I sprung for the $15 registration which gives auto-download access to the Americas NOAA charts and opens up all the features. I consider that a very reasonable (and negligible) contribution to support a software developer who did a good job.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31   #25

Help - I have a new iPad and have been having a miserable time downloading Garmin with Active Captain. It used to work so well on my old iPad and now nothing but frustration. Am open to other navigational software using Active Captain. Any thoughts out there.
Peter Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:21   #26

ActiveCaptain is free in the free SailTimer app, and you can import Navionics charts.
SMBCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 14:28   #27

I purchased a new iPad as the one I had crashed. I used Active Captain on it for years. I have been pulling my hair out trying to load Active Captain with a chart plotter program onto the new iPad using Garmin. Garmin was useless when I called and told me to purchase a SD card and then register the number on the card onto the iPad. Ridiculous, and the SD card for just FL was $500!

I finally got AC to work using Navimatics - download the program then went to Preferences to log into AC. It does not present itself nearly as well as the Garmin product. Garmin clearly does not like IOS but no one at AC or Garmin will tell you that.

I would be most interested if anyone has the answer as to how to add Garmin Blue Chart with AC onto an iPad.
Old 13-12-2017, 12:53   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

I just loaded Aqua Map mainly to have Active Capitain (once all loaded works "off line" AC works better on it than from their own web site and the charts on Aqua Map are very good especially considering it was only $14.99
Old 13-12-2017, 18:36   #29

Thanks very much for this info. I downloaded Aqua Map and logged into AC. I am confused as what to do next to access AC. I downloaded all the active captain data, but I go back into the Aqua Program it asks me to login into AC and I have to go thru all the steps I did previously. And I am still unclear as to how to access AC on Aqua Map after all this. Any help is most appreciated!
Old 14-12-2017, 16:57   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Once I logged into AC it loaded the data into Aqua Map and the icon just show on the charts and you click them to read.

Did you load the charts that you want to use with the icon on the bottom left?

Tags
captain