Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 05:15   #1

Abacos to Nassau

Good day. I am going to the Abacos in mid November. I will be then needing to get to Nassau by Dec 19 2018 to pick up family. Looking for advise on the best route.

Thanks for the advice.
Jim
JIMYATUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 06:11   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Abacos to Nassau

Very weather dependant leaving the Abacos as you have open Atlantic and reef cuts to go through. Once you get out your in deep water till Nassau. I have gone around the backside of Abaco when the swells were to big to attempt the cuts. Makes it a few days instead of one and you need to play the tides by cave cay there's one shallow spot maybe 3 ft@ low. I did it with 5ft draft. Best option is have them fly into Marsh Harbor. Nassau sucks I avoid it like the plague. Better yet they can fly direct to Abaco now.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 06:29   #3

I am very confused about what route options you think might be available...

Go out Man-o-War Cut, turn right. Sail south-southeast until you get to Nassau. It's pretty much a straight shot across open water, and much of the time, a port tack broad reach all the way.

Of course you can use any of the other cuts, but MoW is the deepest, and least likely to be closed by swells from the north.

When there is a large storm in the North Atlantic the swells arrive on the reef in what the locals call a "rage" and you are stuck on which ever side of the reef you happen to be on. It can last for a week, so include the possibility in your planning.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 03:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 06:06   #5

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Do NOT get in a time crunch to sail to Nassau. You MUST wait for a proper weather window that time of year. Trying to navigate those passes in a rage can be life threatening. It can take a long time for a weather window to open up in December.

I agree with the suggestion that they fly to Marsh Harbour instead.

Agree that going down the back side of Abaco is a possible way to avoid the passes, but crossing the Northeast Providence Channel in a norther is likely to be unpleasant at the least, and northers pass through every few days in December. Be picky, and if in doubt, don't go.

A subscription to Chris Parker weather would be useful. He gives great, specific advice.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, nassau