Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04   #1

Boat: Knysna 480
Abaco to The Exumas

We've spent the fall and winter in Marsh Harbor while exploring the Sea of Abaco and are planning to move to the Exumas this April. I just ordered some cruising guides this morning to begin my planning. We would like to do a few leisurely daytime cruises to get there, weather permitting. I have two questions. First, are there any old salts out there who could advise a few overnight stops beginning in North Eleuthra and ending in Exuma. Secondly, we would like to stay at a marina in the Georgetown area for a month or two before heading to Puerto Rica. We have to fly home for a few weeks. I have heard that Georgetown is overcrowded and zoo-like at that time of the year and I would like to avoid the BIG crowds. Any thoughts fellow cruisers?
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Abaco to The Exumas

It's a day sail from Little Harbour to The Egg Island area near the top of Eleuthera. From there you can either work your way south along Eleuthera or it's just another day sail from there to the top of the Exumas.

I've stayed at Exuma Docking services and it wasn't that crazy. They are reasonably priced but their showers/restrooms were pretty bad when I was there. When I was there I also heard of some moorings balls available which included someone keeping an eye on your boat for you if you were gone.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 20:01   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Georgetown pretty much empties out after the Family Island Regatta in April. A lot of the yachties that anchor there for the winter season leave even earlier, after their Cruiser's Regatta in March. I try to arrive after the yachties leave but still in time for Regatta in April, serious fun!
Old 02-01-2012, 00:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We like the route from Little Harbor to anchoring at Royale Island after enterring at Little Egg. Then, passing through Current Cut to Hatchet Bay.....Governors Harbor...... and leaving from Cape Eleuthra for the Exumas at Highbourne. These are all short easy hops.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55   #5

Boat: Manta 42

Kind of a heads up on passing thru the Current Cut on North Eleuthera as it can be a little bit of a challenge if you are not ready for it. If you plan your passage w/ slack tide, look the chart over good before you enter and be sharp then it can be a simple passage. I have made this passage in a full keeled Island Packet with no problems. After you have been thru once you will think nothing of this great little short cut. Check out the Explorer Chart books by Monty and Sarah Lewis, probably also in your GPS.

Eleuthera's west coast is real nice simple cruising, my wife and I have spent months at a time anchored in Rock Sound on the sothern part of Eleuthera, the bakery has great Key Lime Tarts not to be missed.

rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Little Harbor to Royal Island. Royal to Ship Channel Cay in the Exumas via Fleeming Channel. Many stops in the Exumas, if you don't like crowds stay between Normans Cay and Cave Cay. Get Stephen Pavlidis' Exuma Cruising Guide. Lots of short hops some under ten miles. Only decent marina in GT area is Emerald Bay. Exuma Docking has been going downhill for years.

Tags
abaco, exumas