Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 09:21   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Yup, Another Anchoring Thread

Foggysail, do you have provision for a bridle or snubbers? I would imagine the height of your bow is considerable, and bringing the "pivot point" from there to the water with snubbers/bridles can do wonders, with the side benefit of keeping everything quieter.

The waterline-positioned bridle of nylon or the nylon-wrapped rubber snubber smooth out the shock loads on the chain and reduce the irregular jerking sent like a slow if forceful whip crack down to the anchor when the catenary is shallow and the chain to the anchor is off the sea bed. This may be what's breaking out your anchor: a series of small, but variable, tugs.

You might wish to try the bridle method and report back before going to a very heavy Manson.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:44   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I would not mix things like ´best anchor´ and ´bucks, on sale, etc.´. If you are looking for the best anchor for your boat then probably just read thru all available tests and reviews, then pick up the thing which holds best in the bottoms you use.

Price can be a very poor advisor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:11   #18

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would not mix things like ´best anchor´ and ´bucks, on sale, etc.´. If you are looking for the best anchor for your boat then probably just read thru all available tests and reviews, then pick up the thing which holds best in the bottoms you use.

Price can be a very poor advisor.

b.
Weeell, not sure I agree. The Manson appears from my reading to be on par with the Rocna as a modern, high tech design. I asked for Manson feedback in my original post because the Rocna, although a good design has recent negative feedback including the WestMarine recall.

Now as to bucks, on sale.......how would a sale price denigrate an anchor's performance? Defender currently has several high profile anchors on sale so I believe if one takes advantage of a sale, he can save on cost.

But if you meant that cost alone should not be the factor for choice, that is different. Originally I purchased a Delta because of its great feedback and published test results and cost; Delta is much less expensive than the current high tech anchors. I was stunned when my Delta's performance failed to equal its hype.

Anyway, I purchased an 80# Manson on sale from West Marine (West Marine matched Defender's price). West Marine also provided free shipping and next spring I will get credit vouchers from them based on my purchases made this year. The Manson will be on my boat for next weekend. I certainly will share my experience.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 18:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Foggysail, do you have provision for a bridle or snubbers? I would imagine the height of your bow is considerable, and bringing the "pivot point" from there to the water with snubbers/bridles can do wonders, with the side benefit of keeping everything quieter.

Alchemy---

I use a 7/16" (yes, I could use a heavier line) 3 strand as a snubber. Not tried a bridle although I did think of fabricating one. But again, I want an anchor that I don't have to baby as one can tell when they consider my grossly oversized 88# Delta.

But now I crossed the Rubicon with my 80# Manson purchase order a couple of days ago. I have always oversized my anchors and I did again with this purchase. Gosh, it is good to sleep at night without worrying if the anchor is slipping, checking the GPS every 20 minutes or so during stormy conditions to see if the anchor is holding.

I look ahead to having the same positive experience that others enjoy knowing their boats are safely attached to the ocean bottom.

Foggy
Old 21-08-2011, 19:27   #20

Boat: csy 37

after 30 years of anchoring with danforths plows and bruces i broke down and bought a manson supreme last year. best anchor ive ever owned.

i anchor on the east coast u.s.a. and the bahamas. digs in and sets right away, first time every time. i normally do not use the engine to set the anchor if there is enough wind and current to do it for me. i also use at least 7:1 scope every time, more if ive got the room.

my setup is a 45lb supreme with 100ft of 3/8" chain and a 1/2" nylon snubber. the boat is a 37ft cutter, moderate windage, 10 tons.

i think youve made a good choice. i would just suggest more scope.
5:1 is really the minimum. with 10:1 i sleep like a baby...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 20:16   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Re: Yup, Another Anchoring Thread

Well my 2 cents..... I had a CQR when I was in the TCI's and left it there as I was slipping every tide change. I made a mooring with a 60# danforth that my darlin found on the bottom along with 10 - 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete and 3/8 chain.......Would have slept through the start of hurricane Katina, but a 24' French vessel was bumping against me...... Anyway... I bought a Supreme a year ago, it stuck so hard and fast today I was almost scared..... it is an amazing anchor. But don't use the slide, I tried that and had no success. Just fix it on the end, and you will stick hard and fast.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 02:36   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

I never in the past believed a Delta would plow; I believe it now.

Foggy
I have seen several Delta anchors plow and drag slowly while remaining set and sometimes completely buried. It looks like a worm burrowing under the surface. I think this is the biggest weakness of the Delta.
Its surprising that this happened at only 20K+ however.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 05:31   #23

Noelex--

I believe you described what my Delta did! OH, there is a pretty good current where I was anchored in Lagoon Pond during tide changes. The Pond is narrow and about a mile long.
Old 22-08-2011, 05:34   #24

Boat: Pearson 323
Thumbs up Re: Yup, Another Anchoring Thread

I cruised up and down the east coast for two years and used a Manson Supreme. It was the best anchor I found for the price. It was used on a 25 foot Rhodes Meridian Seafarer. I have just purchased a Pearson 323 and intent to get a Manson Supreme for it. The Manson held the Rhodes through 50 mile an hour winds with no problems. Once when anchored up in Old Saybrook CT during a Nor’easter the anchor held fine even when a partially submerged tree got caught up in the rode.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring