1 time per 100 anchorings 2 3.45%
2 times per 100 anchorings 5 8.62%
3 to 5 times per 100 anchorings 4 6.90%
5 to 10 times per 100 anchorings 5 8.62%
10 to 20 times per 100 anchorings 2 3.45%
More than 20 times per 100 anchorings 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 02:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Your 2nd, How many times?

This has nothing to do with what anchor or how it's set-up, this is just a simple;

How many times have you actually deployed your Secondary (or more) anchor rode for safety reasons?

Either to get 2 rodes out or because you lost/'couldn't use for some reason' your Primary gear or part of. Not deploying just for convenience, I mean deploying in vengeance for boat security reasons.

An educated guess but keeping in mind you'll always remember the times you 'did' more than the number of times you 'didn't'.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It's rare I put out 2 anchors. Sometimes when the tide reversal is strong, and the space is tight. Less than a dozen would be my guess.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:27   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
In all of years of cruising and the tens of thousands of miles we have covered we have used our secondary more times than I would want to estimate. In every incident it was a safety factor. We only use two when it is absolutely necessary, but that has been many, many times for our own safety and for the safety of those around us. We guesstimate that on our last cruise alone we had dropped the anchor somewhere around 200 times. I have to wonder how often many that responded to your poll actually anchor very many times. Especially those that answered "can't remember when".

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 15:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
We guesstimate that on our last cruise alone we had dropped the anchor somewhere around 200 times. I have to wonder how often many that responded to your poll actually anchor very many times. Especially those that answered "can't remember when".
We probably anchor around 100 times per year and that in a region of trying weather conditions (we have been anchored in hurricane wind strength and very often in gale conditions). Probably 3/4 of those anchorings are for overnight or for several days.

I know for sure, that in our current boat which was built for us in 1996 we have never used a second anchor for security reasons (even though we carry three of them ) - so not in the last 11 or so years. I responded "Less than 1 in 100".

Putting aside difficult situations such as a smooth rock bottom (where we would never consider anchoring ) I suspect that it gets down to the boat and its systems - as part of that we carry a big main anchor.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:19   #5

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
In Sea of Cortez when Norte or Oeste's blowing or expected; in Straits of GA in a narrow anchorage without room for swing (2d anchor or stern tie ashore when possible). About 3-5 per 100
Old 07-04-2008, 16:44   #6
DWT

I am from the Florida Keys and one who throws that 2nd anchor out more than not. We spend the night often where the tide goes both directions and 2 is a must do. If were in for some weather we put 2 out. Between November and April the wind clocks and we throw out that other one. I just sleep better knowing I'm tied in with 2.
I would guess I even put out 3 anchors at lease 3 - 5 times a year.

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:50   #7

In the Bahamas with reversing tidal currents, it is routine to use two anchors. In remote Bahamian anchorages, it is common for cruisers to consult eachother and decide on a uniform approach:

How to do a modified Bahamian Mooring
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:17   #8
cruiser

You didn't have a selection for "never."

I have *never* had to deploy a 2nd anchor. I rely on my primary anchor in all conditions I anchor in.

I do not anchor in places so crowded as to need to rig a 2nd anchor, or in tidal streams with 5 knot currents or something. I choose my anchorages carefully.

I might also add that I have dragged only a few times, many years ago with a Danforth and a 30' boat (when the wind changed), as well as when I was experimenting to learn how to set a CQR properly.

Since I have joined this forum, I have lived at anchor the better part of each year for 3 years +?

Never had any problem at all and always *always* use just a good primary anchor, tons of scope (10:1) and 3/8" chain with good snubbers.

This has worked in 50-60mph winds, 5ft+ "chop", currents of a few knots that reverse and for time periods of a month without pulling the anchor up. (chain sure was twisted that time!! ha ha)

I write this from anchor in 2-3 foot chop, 2 miles from the nearest point of land in 21mph winds.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:40   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
dang Sean... great wireless card!! I only have used multiple anchors in hurricanes
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 17:47   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
dang Sean... great wireless card!! I only have used multiple anchors in hurricanes
I know! These Sprint EVDO cards get BROADBAND internet just about everywhere on the East Coast. I ditched the "tune in to a WiFi signal" routine and haven't been happier.

I have little to no Tmobile voice signal, but have full broadband with my Sprint EVDO device.

Of course, I don't go where there are usually hurricanes. I try to plan out places my boat can't get into trouble. Of course, I live aboard, so I travel to safety to anchor. I realize Rick and others can't do that and have to endure more extreme weather than I do.
Old 07-04-2008, 18:08   #11

Boat: Trismus 37
Have done twice in a blow after dragging a mooring into the shallows, after dropping the mooring I reanchored and found that the existing anchor wouldn't hold so dropped a second one (bahamian style) havn't since had any reason to after buying the Rocna, will keep the offending anchors as back up's.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 19:15   #12

Boat: Vagabond 47
Great info on this subject thanks for the link slo I always wondered how to retreve the anchors and now I think I understand. Now how many of you that have used two anchors, have you ever had the anchors cross over each other, and how do you uncross them I assume we are talking an all chain rode
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 23:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
I have to wonder how often many that responded to your poll actually anchor very many times. Especially those that answered "can't remember when".
Yeap, a bit of a tricky one to get sorted but it's more just for a bit of an idea on who's doing what and when. It's all relative really Chuck. Actually those who anchor less should be more accurate I would think.

Personally the last time I deployed a 2nd that I can remember was in 1997 in Tonga. Boat delivery and it had combo rope/chain warps so I used 2 in case the coral got one. It didn't but just being a bit safe. I can't remember the last time I used 2 before that, I have but can't remember when. I've been a lot more land based since then (saving for new beast due in 2 years) and have only racked up 8-10K sea miles.

I did put out 2 rodes a few times last year but that was part of a test programme we ran so doesn't count.

God knows how many coastal though. Just looking at my log (new at Xmas) and last weekend I've just clocked up 900 miles since it was fitted and all most all of that was within 70 miles of the marina, we are a bit blessed here for cruising grounds. That does include 2 100ml races though, don't anchor much in those
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42   #14

never. Unless you count a stern anchor to stop the boat turning side-on to the swell and rolling its brains out.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I've been a lot more land based since then (saving for new beast due in 2 years) and have only racked up 8-10K sea miles.

I did put out 2 rodes a few times last year but that was part of a test programme we ran so doesn't count.

God knows how many coastal though. Just looking at my log (new at Xmas) and last weekend I've just clocked up 900 miles since it was fitted and all most all of that was within 70 miles of the marina,

I'm not sure it's the mileage that matters, but how many days at anchor and in different anchorages to get a good statistical sample here.

You will get better data from a coastal cruiser that is on a long trip, anchoring every night in a different anchorage than someone crossing the Atlantic who wouldn't be anchoring at all during that passage, but might have more miles.

Just something to think about, data wise.