Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 11:56   #46

Re: You are setting your anchors badly and then blaming the anchors

Like everyone here who cares about a lunch hook during the day, very common in the Med.
I have been bumped (hit) 3 times here so far (first 3 times in my cruising history) and its always been someone on top of me (no rude remarks) little ding here and a little ding there, all par for the course. Quite often we see the sailboat arrive, throw out the anchor and chain, no set but jump in the dink and head for the bar while everyone else gets to play bumper cars. I see the locals starting to put fenders out in the anchorage and I'm wondering, what the hell is going on but you don't have to wait too long to figure it out.
Someone asked where the best sailors with anchoring manners are and I'd have to say the South Pacific or maybe even the USA or Northern Europe but certainly not the Med.

Sure is a treat to have someone motor up and ask you where your hook is and how much chain you have out, you just know that guy will be no problem.

Just dropped the hook a few minutes ago in Cala Santa Maria in the Maddalena Islands, Sardinia, nice area, very pretty.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 13:08   #47

Hey Robert we were there a couple of seasons ago, beautiful place, clear clear water, enjoy
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 13:32   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1572538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post

But South Brittany is not in the Channel!

But anyway, the rest of this post proves my point. I never knew a U.S. sailor who would ever consider a 3:1 scope to be enough; but this was commonly taught in the UK and still followed by many. I'm not saying it's wrong; obviously Robin's experience proves that it can work in the right hands. So it's hard to tell where people's anchors are around here -- they might be on anything from 3:1 to 8:1.

Enjoy the skinny Florida waters, Robin! The main thing there is not to run aground! Do you have Boat U.S. or Towboat USA insurance? Highly recommended!
Definitely get one of the two insurances. I pay $149/ year with Boat US and consider it cheap, cheap insurance. Anyone who says they never ran aground in Florida waters who has spent any time there is kidding you. Fortunately, most bottoms are soft and not coral/rocks, and in most cases you can get off yourself. (Does anyone get the hint personal experience is talking here?)

One thing I've learned from this thread that I will be doing differently is letting the anchor settle. I've always dropped it, and then slowly backed up, and, on feeling it grab, applied full power for about a minute or so, doing what many have suggested, the transit check.

Hate doing that at night, but have been caught in the situation where it needed to be done. Gotta love the lights on shore when that happens.
Old 26-06-2014, 13:36   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
PS, just did a delivery of a Mobo with 1000HP, we could drag the anchor all over the place at will !

dave

You need a bigger anchor!
Old 26-06-2014, 13:51   #50

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But anyway, the rest of this post proves my point. I never knew a U.S. sailor who would ever consider a 3:1 scope to be enough; but this was commonly taught in the UK and still followed by many. I'm not saying it's wrong; obviously Robin's experience proves that it can work in the right hands. So it's hard to tell where people's anchors are around here -- they might be on anything from 3:1 to 8:1.

Enjoy the skinny Florida waters, Robin! The main thing there is not to run aground! Do you have Boat U.S. or Towboat USA insurance? Highly recommended!
In the PNW in summer we have good holding, light winds overnight, and very crowded anchorages. 3:1 is the norm, in my experience. Any more than that and there's no room in the anchorage.

In winter when we get real winds, there's lots of room for real scope.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 14:12   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

What I've learned over the years reading anchoring treads is that EVERYONE anchors wrong except for YOU
Old 26-06-2014, 14:27   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What I've learned over the years reading anchoring treads is that EVERYONE anchors wrong except for YOU

Well, we can't all be perfect Sailorboy1. Thank you very much for the compliment.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 14:39   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Well, we can't all be perfect Sailorboy1. Thank you very much for the compliment.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
in this case YOU was a generic term for anyone else in the anchorage and applies to every boat as each of them has a YOU on it
Old 26-06-2014, 14:46   #54

Boat: currently a power boat :(

[QUOTE=avb3;1572697]
Quote:

Definitely get one of the two insurances. I pay $149/ year with Boat US and consider it cheap, cheap insurance. Anyone who says they never ran aground in Florida waters who has spent any time there is kidding you. Fortunately, most bottoms are soft and not coral/rocks, and in most cases you can get off yourself. (Does anyone get the hint personal experience is talking here?)
+1
Old 26-06-2014, 16:02   #55

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I always anchor poorly as I don't have a Rocna...but I enjoy a long night on anchor watch.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 16:31   #56
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You need a bigger anchor!

Your right , however the oil platform supply vessel to carry it , is a bit beyond the owners budget

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26-06-2014, 18:24   #57

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:37   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
My father, who has spent probably a million nights at anchor on his own boats, still hates it when I give the full power pull on my anchor after it's set. "You'll pull it out! Then you'll have to start all over again!" He always says, nervous because of the risk of delay of cocktail hour.

I have tried and tried to explain to him . . .

After working the anchor into the seabed and adjusting the scope, I always give several minutes of full power -- 100 horsepower worth --.
Did not read all the threads but depending on the bottom features....You both can be right!

If it is a soft slurry mud and conditions are quiet, I let it settle in for a day or 2 and test only if anticipating a blow.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:10   #59

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1572538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post

But South Brittany is not in the Channel!

I'm anchored in 60 ft with 210ft of chain out right now in mud in Johnson Strait, BC....breeze to 25 kt tonite...I'll sleep like a rock. I think water depth has a lot to do with amount of scope.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 20:05   #60

Boat: Able 50

Quote:

I know the situation well, especially the "bitch arms" . Hilarious and well told. I had a similar situation once, told about here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ain-86277.html

And there was me thinking the Bitch Arms was that dykes pub in Gosport.

Oh well . . . . .
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor