Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 17:05   #16
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: XYZ Extreme Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, two of us reported on people we know well with this anchor and those reports are that it has been randomly unreliable - we don't have dogs in this fight, so it seem impartial albeit second hand reporting.

Mark

Mark,

I was not ignoring your reply, when I was drafting mine yours was not on the thread - when I actually posted my reply, yours and a couple of others had posted. Its probably my fault - maybe it takes too long for posts to filter through the ether to Oz!

I agree that there is a sufficient body of opinion against the XYZ and a dirth of supporters. Most anchors enjoy criticism (by someone) but usually there are more supporters - the XYZ reverses that situation. But given the low response I can remain openminded but, very, cautious and interested.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:05   #17

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

Thanks you all for your response. I think you have confirmed my feelings. I like that it is different, and if even half of their claims are true would be a good anchor. However not having anyone go "Wow, best anchor ever, have one, never lets go, easy to set etc, etc" makes me think I will stay with more traditional route until it has more mileage. I know it is hard on a manufacturer," cant sell them until they have mileage, cant get mileage until we sell them", but I only have one boat and enjoy a good night sleep. Anchor anxiety is something I am trying to avoid.
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:26   #18
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Dod42, +1, sensible summary, sad but my view as well.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:09   #19

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Seriously though, a stainless steel anchor? That's for some dude in a marina who wants something shiny on the front of his boat.
Now now. It is true that when I see a stainless steel replica of a Bruce, or God help us, a CQR, I see an anchor that may well fail if actually used because stainless is so much weaker than the steel one would hope to find in an anchor. And the good news is that most of these are on dock queens that never do anchor, so in those cases you are quite right.

However, there are good reasons to design an anchor that is meant to be built in stainless, especially if it has a weighted tip. A stainless anchor that is used won't stay shiny for long, but shiny isn't the point. The point is to be able to avoid re-galvanizing and if it has a tip weighted with lead all the problems that go along with that. A stainless anchor like the Ultra is made of very weak stainless, which is immaterial because the part where great strength is required - the shank - is designed for stainless. Hollow, and reinforced plus stainless equals strength. Stainless also presents less resistance to digging in because it is smoother than galvanized. So I wouldn't condemn all stainless anchors even though I agree with you that many are substandard pieces of bling.
Old 10-06-2013, 19:34   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The point is to be able to avoid re-galvanizing and if it has a tip weighted with lead all the problems that go along with that.
No, no, no. The point is that when anchoring in mud and other muck, stainless anchors come up pristine clean - the muck just slides right off of it.

Same with stainless chain.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:43   #21

Quote:
No, no, no. The point is that when anchoring in mud and other muck, stainless anchors come up pristine clean - the muck just slides right off of it.

Same with stainless chain.

Mark
Well, there's that too.....

Point is, each material has its pros and cons, and there are enough pros to stainless as an anchor material that cost aside, it can result in a very well performing piece of equipment that will last a very long time, as long as it is purpose built with the strength of the stainless in mind during engineering.
Old 10-06-2013, 19:48   #22

Believe me, regalvanizing is the last thing on anyone's mind after they have just held their nose while pulling up 30' of stinking rotten Chesapeake back river muck and now have to worry about the smell inside the boat...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-06-2013, 20:10   #23

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
There is a fellow cruiser down here with one who has used his extensively throughout the Caribbean. It has proven randomly unreliable for him - so much so that he uses his CQR for his main anchor now.

Mark
That must be a piss poor anchor if its not any better than a lazy ass, lay on it's side CQR.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That must be a piss poor anchor if its not any better than a lazy ass, lay on it's side CQR.
Does anyone know what the purpose of the bottle opener on the top of the XYZ is supposed to be? It's got a little knob on it that looks to have been put there on purpose....

On the plus side, the edges must be pretty sharp, since they say they can cut through small rocks..

"Cutting-Edge Saw Blade enables cutting through hard to penetrate bottoms: slippery weeds, corals*, small rocks etc."

Like to see a picture of that.....
Old 10-06-2013, 20:55   #25

I believe that stub is to provide an instability to the anchor landing upside down. Similar the purpose of rollbars, weighted tips, etc.

Mark

Old 10-06-2013, 21:07   #26

Quote:
I believe that stub is to provide an instability to the anchor landing upside down. Similar the purpose of rollbars, weighted tips, etc.

Mark
Makes sense.
Old 10-06-2013, 21:25   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440

Design using certain materials requires the appropriate engineering to ensure the materials qualities match the intended purpose.

When i first saw SS chain on a boat i thought 'what a wank'!!! But what i was unaware of was that SS chain does not pile up beneath the hawse blocking the incoming chain...

We have that problem big time constantly having to knock the peak down to allow more chain in...HATE IT!

There are other attributes mentioned above for SS, Ultra's anchors outside of Turkey are expensive, we will be in Turkey at years end and i'll seriously check out the anchors then because they have a very good reputation for holding.

Shiny on the bow is the stuff for the glitz set, i really don't care what it's made of or how it looks i just like to be confident.

XYZ will have to prove itself and i don't see much positive stuff yet...

We use a KOBRA 35kg and are very happy with it's performance.

Cheers
Old 13-07-2013, 03:59   #28

Boat: Admiral Catamaran, 40'

Just found this - seems quite objective. (And that seem's very unusual in any anchor discussion)

New XYZ Anchor Report - Trawler Forum
Oceanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 13:22   #29

There is stainless, & then there is stainless.

304ss, a common "marine" grade, usually has a yield strength around 30,000psi. 316ss normally has a yield strength closer to 42,000psi. 440css is rated for 65,000psi. 17-4PH grade is up around 110,000psi.

For reference, low carbon (not stainless) steel is often around 40,000psi. Medium carbon 1045 is often around 77,000psi. &" hi alloy" 4140 chrome molly comes in around 60,000psi annealed and 95,000 after heat treat.

I don't own any stainless anchors because they are too expensive. If they were cheaper, I would love to have one for an everyday anchor because they don't leave rust stains & I clean my own decks.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor