Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 16:37   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
X1 or X2 Lofrans anchor winch opinions

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions of either the X1 or X2 Lofrans anchor winch?
I am looking at purchasing one for a 32 foot yacht.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:32   #2

Re: X1 or X2 Lofrans anchor winch opinions

143 views and no opinions, Amazing.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2019, 02:27   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
What's there to say? And the lack of opinions suggests a lack of basis for comparison, perhaps meaning that few other CF members have used a Lofrans anchor windlass (or perhaps those 143 CF members were startled by your use of the term 'anchor winch'??).

Where is the Lofrans service support for you? Down to Coomera to Seven Seas Marine, perhaps? Is that closer or further from Gympie than the equivalent service centre for Maxwell?

(I take my Maxwell anchor windlass out for a scenic drive down to the Maxwell windlass agent at Manly Boat Harbour about once every 10 years; last time the service tech replaced the oil with what he called a mix of grease and oil that he reckoned would supply better working service than the original oil)

And where are you planning to cruise? Other than Seven Seas Marine, the Lofrans website suggests your next nearest centres for parts and support are Auckland, NZ, to the SE and Jakarta, ID, to the NW. That's reassuring, no?

You don't need me or anyone else to point you to reviews, overviews, and hype, right?

Weighing up windlasses - MySailing.com.au

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/5178-1.html
Old 04-07-2019, 04:40   #4

Thanks Alan, I was just curious to hear anyone’s opinions. The internet is usually so good now for researching if a product is worth buying or not.
But you are right I am only cruising locally so I can take it back to Southern Seas Marine for servicing. I am at the Boat Works a fair bit so the Gold Coast is no issue.
The Lofrans three year warranty and using Lofrans anchor chain all sounds good to me and the price is pretty good as a package.
You got me on the anchor winch wording, that’s all I have ever called them......interesting Maxwell starts there windlass selection by calling them winches? I am going to start using the word windlass in my survey reports.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2019, 04:47   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Cheers
I worked on a X1 that was less then 2 years old recently. It had serious degradation of several parts including its aluminun frame that holds it all together leading to the malfunction of the internal clutch. Basically it was complete junk and the only thing good was the motor and gypsy.
Their tech support was completely Useless. I'd look elsewhere.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:41   #6

Thanks Dulcesuenos, that’s the sort of information I was looking for.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2019, 05:55   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would go with the -2 for sure. I'm not so keen on a Lofrans. I have a Project 1000 which looks the same as the X 2 model to me. The aluminum casting rotted out a few years ago and was replaced. The chain stripper mount is made from plastic and fails, had to make one from better a material. The main shaft bearings only last a couple of years. However the windlass suffers my abuse and has never failed to get the anchor up or pull us off a grounding.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lofrans, winch