Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 18:30   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Wire Windlass (Solenoid) Directly to the House Battery or Switch ?

Hi Folks,

I have a house bank (2 batteries) and a start battery. Currently using a 1 ALL 2 off battery switch. Should I wire my windlass (no battery up front) directly to one of the house batteries, or to the battery selector switch (position 2 is house)?
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 18:37   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000XL "Crew Rest"
No matter where you wire it, you MUST have an inline circuit breaker/fuse/breaker switch in the system.

Ours is wired to the dual house batteries, but raising the anchor the other day we got out of sequence and tripped the breaker. This beats a burnt-out motor hands down!

Good luck
Sandyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 20:42   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I've opted for a pos bus bar. All the incoming power on one side (fused) and all outgoing out the other. (Also protected). I don't like to run anything directly to the battery excepting the one battery cable(also fused at both ends).
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 03:36   #4

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Yes, it will have an line-line breaker, close to the battery (or positive connection point).

I have a couple of concerns:

- If I run directly to the battery bank, then I would have to turn off the above mentioned windlass breaker, likely located in the stern settee, when leaving the boat. Otherwise, the circuit would remain energized, when I turn off the battery switch, for everything else, when leaving.

- I currently have the problem that my radar electonics (running on house bank) are restarted when I have to start the engine. Although I do have a start battery, if I move the battery switch to Battery 1 (start) then the electonics are now powered by that battery, and of course, still cut out when I start the engine. I had planned on installing an automatic charge relay which would "Allows two battery banks to run simultaneously with one simple ON/OFF switch while maintaining battery bank isolation, with an automatic charge relay that combines the batteries while charging".

The ACR would solve the problem of the radar cutting out when I start my engine. But, ......If I now add the windlass directly to the house battery bank, or to the house side of the new ACR, I would think that turning on the windlass would also cause the radar to cut out. Maybe the draw is not as great as an engine start (windlass is only 600watts / 50 amps) and the engine will normally be running.

I realize I can turn the radar off before using the windlass, but sometimes we will forget, and I do not want to risk damage to the electronics!

Thoughts? Best way?
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery