Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Windlass Setup with Shallow Locker

OP--it appears you are leaning towards cheap, 1/2-way measures that are only bound to fail.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
There is a small area forward of the v-berth, I have not pulled down the ceiling panels but I think the entire anchor locker is over this compartment. I have posted a picture of the compartment below.

Attachment 176732

My boatyard manager also recommends putting the horizontal windlass in the anchor locker and letting the chain drop to the compartment forward of the v-berth. I would only want to do this as a last resort. We would have to have the windlass mounted at an angle on a fabricated bracket. And as an anchor rep already advised me, the chain scraping thru the deck opening will eventually were off the galvanizing.

As I said in my original post, some horizontal brands advise that the required chain drop can be measured from the gypsy. If that is the case I would have about 6-8 inches of rope pile-up before I would have to move it around. If I mounted the windlass on deck, and moving the chain while retrieving turned into a hassle, we could always add the piping to drop the chain thru the locker.
That's what you should do. It works very well, keeps the weight low and is accessible! See my post #4 if you don't want the windlass in the locker. Anything in that anchor locker, like a windlass, will corrode very fast, it's a continual damp area that sweats in the sun.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37   #33

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
We have a horizontal Lofrans without much drop either. I just tend to it like the others and knock the pile over every 25 ft or so. Dropping it as fast as you want has never been an issue in 8 years. wouldn't worry about it unless single handing , but even that wouldn't be a huge issue as many times I handle it myself anyways.
Which model do you have, and how much drop is there from the gypsy to the bottom of the locker? Do you have all-chain or a combination of chain/rode?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:05   #34
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Thank you for the photo...it helps a lot.

With that in mind I would recommend following your boatyard manager's words and put a horizontal windlass inside the locker as high as you can get it with the doors closed and the chain/line dropping into the area forward of the v-berth. For a boat your length and weight I also recommend an all chain rode for anchoring security and it simplifies dropping the rode into that area because of its weight. (You could get a windlass with both chain gypsy and line drum like mine and divide that forward area into two compartments with chain being primary and line as a backup. But that would also require a new dual bow roller.)

As far as the chain drop removing the galvanization from the chain (if I understand you correctly) I wouldn't worry about it. After the chain comes off the gypsy it will pass through the chain pipe into the chain well and that is more rough on the chain than the deck. Besides, by the time you begin to worry about the galvanization on the chain it will be time to replace it anyway...my chain is eight years old and has been reversed once with years of service remaining.

The area forward of your v-berth has good access if you should have any trouble with the chain castling, hockling, or gets twisted...it does happen and you need access..

Now that I have said all that I presume that you have been putting the chain, rope, and anchor in the locker after each use...I use to do that on my previous 28' San Juan sailboat without a windlass. But on boats your size with a bigger anchor I haven't heard of such practices and you will most likely not be able to do it once you get the windlass in the locker. This means that chain will need to exit your locker to the bow roller where the anchor will be stored 24/7/365. That would necessitate some modification to the locker door(s)...consult your boatyard manager for ideas based on the windlass location.

I have attached a photo of my windlass after it was installed in 2010 to give you some idea of how your locker might look.

Good Luck and keep us advised on what you decide plus a photo.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 14:46   #35

I'm clue less how to build my chain locker...
One possibility could be to guide the chain thru a big pvc tube (5-6 inch) down to the bilge. So in case when/if the bilge get full, it uses the space in the tube? Good or bad idea? The tube would be glassed to the hull. The locker needs to fit 200ft of 5/16.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 15:38   #36
MJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I'm clue less how to build my chain locker...
One possibility could be to guide the chain thru a big pvc tube (5-6 inch) down to the bilge. So in case when/if the bilge get full, it uses the space in the tube? Good or bad idea? The tube would be glassed to the hull. The locker needs to fit 200ft of 5/16.
I looked again at post #30 and don't see a problem with 200 x 5/16HT chain fitting in there...but depending on where you anchor I would recommend 300'. I also think a 5-6" diameter pipe too big and don't like the idea of using it to store chain. Chain should run free with no turns if possible. Again, looking at that photo the chain should drop directly into the forward cavity unless you divert it via the pipe...but how will that diversion affect the chain going out...has to be smooth transition. I don't even have a pipe on my boat, it just drops directly into the forward cavity of my boat from the windlass.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Old 23-11-2018, 05:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I looked again at post #30 and don't see a problem with 200 x 5/16HT chain fitting in there...but depending on where you anchor I would recommend 300'. I also think a 5-6" diameter pipe too big and don't like the idea of using it to store chain. Chain should run free with no turns if possible. Again, looking at that photo the chain should drop directly into the forward cavity unless you divert it via the pipe...but how will that diversion affect the chain going out...has to be smooth transition. I don't even have a pipe on my boat, it just drops directly into the forward cavity of my boat from the windlass.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Well...this is a trimaran. The windlass is located 10ft aft of the bow. The only reason for big pipe was if it could be used as storage. If just for guiding it...yes I would go for 2-3" .cause I would need a pipe......the windlass is offset from centre line......200ft on this boat and I have already pushed it.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 10:11   #38
MJH

Sorry, I thought you were the originator of this post with the 43' Swan. I can't help you. Suggest you start a new post with details about your boat.
Old 07-02-2019, 18:39   #39

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Curious to know what the OP did for the anchor locker?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29   #40

Here are some pics of the anchor locker. Tentatively we have decided to mount a vertical windlass (low profile) on deck just forward of the locker. We will let it drop 14" into the locker and see how that goes using approx 40' of 5/16 chain and 200' of 5/8" 8-plaith. In the next year or so we only plan on coastal cruising. If we decide to go to the islands we can add the piping to drop the chain forward of the v-berth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	185554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00459.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	185555  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	185556  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
...vertical windlass...We will let it drop 14"...
That simply will fail.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I believe I have a few good suggestions that have not already been mentioned, or additional information to other suggestions.
1. I too have a shallow chainlockerjust below deck and aboutyour same depth. Southern Cross 39. I opted to beef up the deck a bit and install a horizontal windlass. The foot controlls easily activated by my hand and handily located while I kneel and handle the chain as it piles up. This is in accordance with my desire to be at the bow deciding where and when I want to drop the hook and which direction(hand signals to the person at the helm) I want the boat directed in when retreiving the hook. So much easier to drop the anchor juston the sandy patch between the Bamies or what have you. I early on so wanted an anchor locker that would just be deep andallowthe chain to fall into with out fail. That said I have come to realize I am much more in tune with the condition of my chain this way. There is the rare time when it blows up and one has to get out of the anchorage to fine another but while it is uncomfortable inthe spray... Again you are right thereonthe bow to see when the boat has overshot the anchor or siwashed around a coral head or what ever may be taking place as you pick it up.
2. You could spend the money (after all you have a Swan) to redesign and move your anchorlocker aft far enough to allow it to stack properly, but that will quite possibly cost you a great deal of redesign of the space as it needs to be a pretty good fall distance to work properly. Personally I would spend that money on other more rewarding things.
3.I would concider going with all chain. I have 275’ and do move it all to a locker below for passages . Easily done with two people. Sadly not far enough aft for the solution of a self stacking anchor locker.
4. When doing this project make sure you get a good and oversized windlass. Go oversize. I repeat go oversize. I bought one size upfrom the suggested size and wish I bought two sizes up. This piece of equipment gets used a lot and needs to be powerful and heavy duty enough. This brings me to suggestion number 5.
5.Do not buy a Quick windlass. The quality control is terrible and their much needed three year warrenty is hard to get them to stand behind. There are excellent windlass manufacturers out there. Pay a little extra and you will in the long run be glad you did.
6.Last but surely not least. Figure out your largest circumference possible sized bow roller. The amount of extra leverage afforded by an oversized bow roller is large. If you can get someone to turn on a lath a custom roller with a channel in the center to cause your chain to untwist as it comes in you will love that as much as I do. No need whatsoever for a swivel at the anchor which I dont recomend anyway. Seriously consider this option and you will be glad you did. 5 years in and its one of the coolest things on the boat used often from Seattle to Mexico to Ecuador to the Marquesas,French Polynesia to Tonga to New Zealand to Tonga to Western Samoa to Fiji toNew Zealand to Fiji to Vanautu where we just used it successfully yesterday. Cheers Should you have any questions you may contact me at kimphilley58@gmail.com
Do you have any Idea what it would cost to move the anchor locker aft? Even if it could be done without affecting the structural integrity of the deck. The bulkhead at forward end of the v-berth would have to be modified, as well as the headliner. A new hatch recepticle would have to be designed and installed.

I have thought about modifying the existing locker and adding 6-12 inches to the depth. This would keep water out of the interior of the boat which is a big plus. But my concern is modifying the locker without affecting its integrity. The current structure is built like a tank and could probably easily hold 500-600 pounds.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
That simply will fail.
I get it. You have said that repeatedly.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:56   #44

Unsubscribed.

Tags
wind, windlass