Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 08:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Windlass replacement?.... manual or electric?

Electric, 100%. Maxwell/Lewmar. Vertical

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 08:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbartley View Post
Stu, Anchor is 20KG (44lb) Bruce. The chain is 3/8". Thanks!

Adelie, thanks for the input. The current windlass is horizontal, and enclosed below the anchor locker lid. Interestingly that a couple of sources talk about manual options up to 39'. Since mine is 40' wondering if I should discard manual options....???
I'd also look at resell when the time comes. I'd personally not consider buying a boat without the electric option and I have the same boat and setup. I would prefer to chance having to haul it up in the case of a one time failure over having to haul it up by choice all the time.

nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 08:49   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I just bought a Maxwell 3500 Vertical windlass. A 1000 is probably too small for your boat. We have a 47' boat, and went with a 3500 because it's almost a drop in fit for our old one. Otherwise a 2500 would have been ok.

IF your 3/8" chain is BBB, I have a heck of a deal for you. Make me an offer on our old one, and you pay the freight. It is a Nilsson Maxwell 3000. It needs a new under deck plate, and I'd replace the seals at the same time. They are all available from NZ for about $400 US delivered.
Old 18-04-2019, 09:17   #19

Boat: Endurance 35, Nanamuk

We have been using the Lofrans manual for 42 years / 80,000 miles (on our second one) and are happy with it. We have a 66 pound Bruce and 380 ft 5/16 HT chain. Currently we cruise in the PNW where a shallow anchorage is 30 ft at high tide and we occasionally anchor in 80 ft or more. We are both older than you and find that in 40 ft or more we trade off the cranking every 20 ft to keep the sweat level and heart rate down. My gypse is getting a bit worn so I bought a complete unit at a swap meet for $50 CND - took it apart and it is virtually brand new so now we have a spare!!
If I was you I would stay with your KISS principle, save $'s, not need to start the motor to raise your anchor and get some exercise.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 10:08   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I think this is one of the posts where there is no way for anyone else but the OP to answer the question. The question is - what do you want? Do you mind pulling up an anchor manually or with a winch manually? Some may consider the thought of any winch electric or manual a luxury or unnecessary maintenance item. Certainly if a person is healthy to be living the cruising lifestyle they should be able to pull up an anchor from 20 ft of water on their own... so once again.. What do you want manual or electric?

I vote for electric so I can stay at the helm when upping the anchor - especially in a crowded or swift current anchorage. But if you cruise with others who can do the lifting and not gripe then you do have a choice to make.

I cruise with my wife alone quite often and pulling up a rope/chain combo from 20 to 45 feet of water is a non-starter.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 11:11   #21

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I can't answer what the right answer is for you.

My boat did not have a windlass when I bought it. I am in the process of designing how my new windlass will be installed.

That being said, I determined that an electric vertical maxwell windlass was right for me and my wife. The reason being that I want to cruise worldwide, and having a windlass that will not take forever to hoist a chain on a daily basis is best for me.

I chose to go with the Maxwell VW10-10(1850lb max pull). I am aboard a 42ft sailboat weighing roughly 40,000 lbs maybe more when fully loaded.

As for powering it, cost wise for me, it is pretty comparable running 4/0 cables from stern to bow than having a battery in the bow with a DC-DC charger.

If the bow battery was a cheaper option, I'd go that route, but since it's not, its nice to know that my dual alternator setup can really pump out the power to the windlass when needed.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 11:28   #22

Electric.

No question about it.
Then you are never too tired to reset your anchor properly and you can leave quickly if a squall comes up.

(If electric fails, you grab the chain with a chain-hook and use your genoa winch to lift chain and anchor - much easier than a manual windlass.)
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 11:35   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 - 40'

Wow! Lots of input since I left my computer yesterday! Thanks guys.... will chew on this over the next few days, starting with taking apart the current one (which is electric) to see if it's an easy fix. I'm not as handy as RaymondR for "MacGyvering" my own parts, but since the boat is already wired for the electric options, my cost for staying electric is what it takes to fix the Windlass: i.e. a few hours for someone to help me who knows more than me and tracking down a few parts. Thanks again!
jsbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:16   #24

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Neither. Go hydraulic. Convert existing winch to a hydraulic motor, and put electric clutch activated hydraulic pump on engine.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:26   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The OP mentioned cost.
A new Maxwell 3500 is about $4,900.
A new Maxwell 1000 is $1,800.
A new Lograns Royal 1-speed manual is about $900-1000.
A used Seatiger 555 is about $500-750.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:47   #26
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The OP mentioned cost.
A new Maxwell 3500 is about $4,900.
A new Maxwell 1000 is $1,800.
A new Lograns Royal 1-speed manual is about $900-1000.
A used Seatiger 555 is about $500-750.
If you find a 555 for that price I'd like to know. Most in good shape go well above $1500 and rebuilds from SL spares are $3500.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:47   #27

Boat: Casacde 36

So, you've got a boat that size, you're probably using 3/8 chain? I anchor about 100 nights per year, in depths ranging from 25 to 50 feet (Pacific NW) using 5/16 HT, with a manual windlass. I've got you beat by 7 years, by the way.
I anchor in some pretty remote areas so reliability is the most important factor, and there is nothing in there that I can't fix myself.
If you're not in a hurry, manual it'd be.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:59   #28

You will never be happy with a manual windlass if you are used to electrical. Personally I have very good experience from Lofrans Project. Excellent quality and very easy to install.
Maxwell is another very good windlass.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, JS.

Homepage | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares carry some Simpson Lawrence Anchor Windlass Spares.
These guys are really helpful and knowledgeable. Give them a call or email and they will advise if the recon is worth the effort.

Changing brands can lead to new cables, and power issues so it it not as straight forward as would first appear.

S/L are excellent windlasses.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 17:31   #30

Many years ago I read in a sailing magazine that anyone over forty years old should have a power windlass. I am now 75 and have always followed that advice. Bent over ratcheting a manual windlass handle back and forth to bring in 150 feet or so of 3/8" chain would do my ailing and aged back in. I owned a manual SL windlass when in my late 30's sailing a circumnavigation and broke the pawls and bicycle chain twice.

Simpson Lawrence windlasses are not very robust. Even the electric ones can bend the shaft as one I had did on a second hand boat - I always tie off the chain before setting the anchor and use a bridle, so the only time there is a load on the windlass is when bringing it in.
Do your self a favor and purchase a Maxwell or Muir electric windlass that will last the rest of your life.

Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, men, wind, windlass