Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 14:06   #1

Windlass Relay Control Box Problem

This afternoon whilst anchoring i stood on my windlass controller which started the windlass bringing up the chain. I pressed the buttons which did nothing then disconnected the controller an still the chain was been wound in. So i had to rush to the breaker switch to switch it off. I assumed there must have been a short from the seawater and hoped it would fix itself over time, but it didnt.

As my windlass is wired up for two controllers (diff number pins) plus a wireless i tried disconnecting them all from the relay controler, but still it runs. Grrrrrr

I then tested the relay checking if i the main power cable in to the controller was making a circut with the two cables going to the motor. I found one made a circut.

I assume that this means that the relay is jammed in the on position which is the cause of my pooblem?

As i am at anchor i am reluctant to take the relay off and dismantle it in the hope it is possible to fix in case i kill it. As it is i can still use the windlass when i leave tomorrow with some running around.

Is it possible it can be fixed and worth a shot or should i not waste my time? any ideas?
Old 25-09-2011, 14:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Windlass relay control box problem ?

Gentle tapping with a hammer while spraying with WD40 might free up the solenoid. The solenoid is stuck in the on position probably from corrosion and might loosen up with gentle persuasion. If gentle doesn't work, go to more forceful tapping. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer. Would try and dismantle and free it up before going on to step 2 and/or 3. It's really a pain getting those broken bits of plastic and metal out of the bilge.

If you destroy the controller in an attempt to free up the solenoid, you can always hot wire the windlass and use the circuit breaker to control the windlass until you get a new one. Any controller in a storm.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 14:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
Gentle tapping with a hammer while spraying with WD40 might free up the solenoid. The solenoid is stuck in the on position probably from corrosion and might loosen up with gentle persuasion. If gentle doesn't work, go to more forceful tapping. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer. Would try and dismantle and free it up before going on to step 2 and/or 3. It's really a pain getting those broken bits of plastic and metal out of the bilge.

If you destroy the controller in an attempt to free up the solenoid, you can always hot wire the windlass and use the circuit breaker to control the windlass until you get a new one. Any controller in a storm.
Good point on the hot wiring, just as long as i do the up and not the down. Will pull it off in the morning and give it a go. If i dont fix it i will head to the marina tomorrow to pack up the boat for winter, if ths fixes it then i can have another night anchoring out.

I once had a problem with the solenoid fir the starter motor of my bike. The repair guy fixed it with a hammer also
Old 26-09-2011, 00:39   #4

I took the relay off at which time i realised that the two wires that were making a circut were both going to the windlass motor, so they were probably making the circut via the motor and not the relay, doh!

I connected everything back up and it all worked. I never tried the windlass before i pulled it apart this morning, so maybe it was a moisture short that needed longer to dry than just a few hours and perhaps it would have worked if i tested it first this morning

Tags
control box, windlass