Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 05:38   #1

Boat: L 34
Windlass

Please could I have opinions on Anchor windlasses for a 40ft 9ton boat. Electric or manual/ horizontal or capstan/ if electric, motor inside or out. Any other considerations. Many thanks.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 05:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Windlass

Ive become attached to my vertical shaft gypsy only motor below deck windlass. Its switch is in the cockpit. Other than attaching and retrieving snubber, theres not often a need to go on the foredeck.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lass-1475.html

And ➥ windless selection - Google Search

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Please could I have opinions on Anchor windlasses for a 40ft 9ton boat. Electric or manual/ horizontal or capstan/ if electric, motor inside or out. Any other considerations. Many thanks.
Go for as big an electric unit as you can. Horizontal is more protected from salt, but it depends which is easier to install.
Maxwell and muir are two of the best manufacturers. Don't bother with a capstan, particuarly on a vertical windlass unless you plan on using rope rode reasonably often.
Don't forget to plan and budget for some large battery cables.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 07:14   #5

We used the capstan on the vertical windlass (Maxwell) quite often.
Raising the dink to the deck.
Hauling people up the mast.
Pulling the boat to a piling against the wind.
Etc.
Wouldn't be without one.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:06   #6

Boat: L 34

Thank you all for your replies, got lots of food for thought. Much appreciated. K.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Went with a vertical capstan/chain gypsy windlass. Wanted the ability to use the windlass to help kedge off when I run aground as well as other times when needing serious pull on a line. Went with vertical because you don't have to worry about having a fairlead and getting overides. The vertical also takes up way less deck realestate.

The first time I had occasion to use the winch, the capstan paid off handsomely. Backed myself into a corner when the engine wouldn't start and ran aground on a rapidly falling tide, rowed out the kedge anchor and tensioned the rode to twist the boat away from a boulder that could have done damage to the hull, left the tension on the rode and waited for the tide to come back in. Woke up in the morning floating nicely. To do that with a horizontal windlass, would have had to rig a block which would have been a BIG problem to get a fair lead to the windlass.

I used to be a big fan of manual windlasses but going out diving off a friends 30,000 pound boat convinced me otherwise. We anchored and reanchored 6 times in an afternoon looking for the ideal dive spot. He essentially used his large boat like we would a dinghy because of the electric windlass. Single handing, the electric windlass is great. I can retrieve the anchor while conning the boat from the cockpit. Saved my butt when the wind came up overnight and would have been nearly impossible to retrieve the anchor with a manual windlass without ending up against a bulkhead.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I like my vertical capstan-less Lewmar windlass ok. But I would prefer a horizontal windlass like a Lighthouse, or Lofrans, with a gypsy on one side, and capstan on the other.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:42   #9

The maxwell verticals are great. I used the capstan occasionally. Personally I lean toward the Lofrans now. On a 40 footer , go electric....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass