Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 13:31   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Which Spare Anchor ?

Greetings Folks,

We are just about to start our open-ended cruise, firstly up through East Coast of Australia, then through SE Asia.. then who knows...

Boat is a 40ft mono, not too heavy. Primary is a 20kg (45lbs) Rocna... not overwhelmingly happy with the recent metal fraud, but will deal with a replacement later (probably Manson Boss, which looks like it will fit the bow roller?)...

..and we have 70m (~225ft) of 8mm (5/16") Grade P (G43) chain.

My issue is that I have no space left on the boat to store a spare anchor which doesn't stow well. I initially bought a Delta 20kg for a spare, but just can't fit it anywhere, not even on deck...

SO...

I am looking at purchasing a Fortress FX-37 or FX-23. Which will act as a kedge, stern anchor, a storm anchor (tandem behind primary perhaps) and spare primary.

Can anybody comment on my strategy here and also Fortress sizing? (The FX-37 is HUUUUGE)

Thanks muchly!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:42   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Which spare anchor?

We have a Fortress FX-23 that we use often as a stern anchor. It's easy to store (we have it the pushpit) and light to take out in a dinghy. We have had wind shifts when it then became our primary anchor and always held well (we have never tested it above 25 knots though.) Of course a FX-37 would be a better spare anchor if you had the room but it's a little large for easy dinghy transport.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:49   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have an FX-37 and it is big, but it stows in a very small space when broken down. It isn't so quick to get back together, but it doesn't take all that long.

You might also consider the Spade. The shank disconnects from the fluke. We have an aluminum Spade and it also stores nicely and is very quick to get together when needed for use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:55   #4

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
Greetings Folks,

Boat is a 40ft mono, not too heavy. Primary is a 20kg (45lbs) Rocna... not overwhelmingly happy with the recent metal fraud, but will deal with a replacement later (probably Manson Boss, which looks like it will fit the bow roller?)...

I am looking at purchasing a Fortress FX-37 or FX-23. Which will act as a kedge, stern anchor, a storm anchor (tandem behind primary perhaps) and spare primary.

Can anybody comment on my strategy here and also Fortress sizing? (The FX-37 is HUUUUGE)

Thanks muchly!
We have that exact set up - Rocna 20kg and Fortress FX -37 on a 38 foot 20,000 lb monohull. The Rocna is the primary and is on the bow roller with 150 feet of chain and a couple hundred feet of rope (we cruise Florida and the Bahamas where a deep anchorage is 15 feet deep - I'd put more chain on if we were in another area with deeper water).

The Fortress mounts really well on the stern rail. A danforth type rail mount will work just fine to hang it back there. We keep it shackled to 30 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope. Its out of the way, yet easy to deploy and recover. We mounted a roller on the stern to help dropping and recovering the anchor without banging against the hull or scraping the cap rail.

And yes, the Fortress is pretty big, but so what? It sticks like you're tied to a post and its light enough to drop and haul in by hand.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:11   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS

+1 on the FX-37, I use one as a backup to my 44lb Delta (45ft Hunter).

Came into (the anchorage just outside) No-Name harbor after dark after a long non-stop back from Cuba, was tired as hell and all we wanted was sleep. The Delta is normally reliable, but after 8 attempts to get it to stick, I assembled the Fortress from it's storage bag, threw it over and it stuck first bite.

IMHO, you can't beat having a Danforth / Fortress type as well as a plough type, just in case you find that kind of bottom where a plough, well ... just ploughs.

Duncan
S/V TALISA
Currently away from the boat earning sailing $$$'s
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I also recommend the Fortress as it's inherently light, but its large fluke area holds well. You can stow it flat (the company sells a bag that would fit in most settees or in a locker) or keep it mounted and lashed on the stern rail for anchoring in tidal rivers and so on. I use an FX-23 as the primary on a 33 footer and will take it as a lunch hook/secondary/stern/storm anchor on our 41 footer when we go offshore.

The recommendation to have "opposing" anchor types is sound. Where one is having issues, the other may work well. The Fortress is particularly good in sand and mud, and yet breaks free easily (like with a jerk of one arm!) when the rode goes vertical at the bow.

Haven't tried it in weeds or gravel as of yet.

There's no harm and plenty of logic in upsizing to the FX-37, as the weight difference is only 2.2 more kilos.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you looking for spare anchor as back up incase you loose the main anchor and need to cruise for multiple months in remote locations before it can be replaced, or a second anchor to use as a stern anchor, etc. The uses are pretty different. A stern anchor and kedge the fortress would be good,fx23 would fine. An fx37 as a multiple typhoon anchor. As a back up for a losing the main anchor the Spade would store the best and is a great anchor,albiet expensive.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42   #8

FX 37 is a fine anchor. I made a socket out of pvc with a cap to store it upright/flat against the lifeline stancion at foredeck. Special lashings etc. It saved my 47 footer once at the last minute before hitting the beach...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10   #9

Boat: Allures 44

Paul L +1
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If you have a New style Fancy digger "Manson, Rocna, ect. then a Danforth style is really the way to go,witch material steel or aluminum, is sorta chosen by weather its on a bow roller or deck or life line mount, I Like Big Danforth style anchors myself. I have a steel danforth in one of the two bow rollers, and a delta in the other and have a fortrass in a life line mount in the stern. (also a rock hook carried mounted on the fore deck) I guess you could say Im over anchored, but makes me sleep better when I KNOW Im hooked properly for the bottom type !! Justa Old timer who needs his sleep !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25   #11

I forgot to mention, Fortresses can have sharp edges , you need a good storage scheme whether on deck or below.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44   #12

Boat: Catalina 34

I second the Fortress recommendations above. I personally would carry a third anchor (maybe a Delta, Bruce, or Danforth) if I were taking your extended cruise.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49   #13

Thank you very much for all the replies!

Just to clarify - I was originally thinking of this as both a backup to my primary incase it went AWOL, and also a stern/kedge/storm anchor.

I haven't anchored in any storms before, however my theory would be to have a length of chain of approx 6m (18ft) shackled to the primary's heel and have the danforth off that - so that the anchors are in tandem/series. Which should theoretically take advantage of the Rocna's resetting ability and the danforth's ultimate holding power.

Yesterday, I also just made up a bridle plate like the ABI chaingrabber that the multis use and will use that with a pair of 1/2" snubbers approx 7m (20ft) long. I also have a hole at the apex like the one here:

Sail Delmarva: The Ultimate Chain Hook for Catmarans...

So I can always turn it "backwards" and have two anchor rodes set off it at 90 degrees or somesuch (although I like the tandem idea better).

As for storage, the stock of the FX-37 appears to be over 1m long (!) so storage on the rails/lifelines just can't happen.

I think I will have to store it disassembled in it's own bag which WM also appears to sell.

Also - thank you for the Spade idea as well as a backup for the primary if it goes AWOL. Is this the only collapsible plough style available and should I be looking at steel or aluminium?

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09   #14

As a quick update, I looked up the Spade and it looks like it will cost $800 to ship it from the UK to Australia, so will have to count that one out of my list.

Any other collapsible ploughs? Or is the Fx-37 enough to do the job while waiting for a replacement if the Rocna turns into a pretzel?

(I wish I had a bigger boat.... storage is a nightmare!)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10   #15

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
I was originally thinking of this as both a backup to my primary incase it went AWOL, and also a stern/kedge/storm anchor
We carry an Aluminum Spade (A100) for this reason. Stores in a locker, deployable via dinghy, and backs up the primary anchor on the bow. It's a great anchor, but we almost never use a second hook. So if you ask me whether I'd buy the A100 again, I'd say it depends on the budget and cruising plans.

Cheers, Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor