Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2008, 21:17   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Acoustic-
I cruise at around 2200 RPMs. The places where I was at (British Columbis coves) made it hard to get 8 to 1. I and the Admiral are at the point where we want to try something diffferent. The anchor and the chain are both old and rusty so were figuring on getting something new and something bigger. Maybe a ~60 lb rocna or Mason. We've never gunned the engine to test the breakout strength but I feel comfortable with the boat putting some strain on the anchor just so we know it is set well.
Deep water is different and setting on a five to one or four to one should work especially with 200 feet of chain. I didn't know you were in that deep stuff...
The reason I back hard on a CQR, after it's been set, is to make sure it was not just a partial set. Many times the CQR will partially set laying on its side and a good jerk of the motor will dig it in the rest of the way and stand it upright..

Old 20-03-2008, 21:43   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Agree with the lads. More scope and less speed. Once you know it's in then power the beast a bit further if you like. I've never applied reverse until I know the anchor has bitten.

Old 20-03-2008, 22:34   #33

Boat: Beneteau 36
Group :

Aboard our B361, we have a 44Lb Delta, 150ft of chain & 100ft of 3-strand rode.

It's NEVER let us down...& so I can't help but to sing the praises of the Delta anchor to everyone who asks.

Good ground-tackle IS the best insurance you can get !!
Old 20-03-2008, 23:24   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Asymetrical anchor, soft and hard mud?

So if I have the idea right one just drops the anchor on the bottom and lets it set by itself.

I'm thinking that the CQR (and most other anchors) are only symmetrical in one plane, so dragging it with power would cause it to spin and "drill" its way horizontally through the top of the mud.

The other possibility is that the bottom is not homogeneous but is made up of many different components. If the anchor moves slowly then it will find a patch of soft mud and sink into it. Too fast and it will not have time.

This suggests that when anchoring in a current or strong wind one could actually put the gear into forward and use just enough power to permit the boat to move slowly backwards.
Old 21-03-2008, 05:04   #35

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I think we should rename this thread to "how to set a CQR and create a false sense of security"

Keegan
Old 21-03-2008, 06:27   #36

Boat: Beneteau 36
Boracay :

In response to...

"So if I have the idea right one just drops the anchor on the bottom and lets it set by itself."

Dude...there's another forum somewhere for all the first-time 30ft Sea-Ray owner's !!!

You HAVE to be just kidding around...right ???
Old 21-03-2008, 07:21   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Now that's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Boracay :

In response to...

"So if I have the idea right one just drops the anchor on the bottom and lets it set by itself."

Dude...there's another forum somewhere for all the first-time 30ft Sea-Ray owner's !!!
Now that's FUNNY!
Old 21-03-2008, 09:13   #38
jzk

"My honest opinon is that most anchors are basically the same. It's your anchoring system that makes the difference. "

How can you say this? The wildcard in the anchoring system is the anchor. Does anyone doubt more scope is better or more chain is better? The part of the system but for the anchor seems to be a settled issue.

It is the anchor that makes the difference. Look at how the designs and anchor tests vary from anchor to anchor.

I further suspect that some of these new anchor innovations will make all the difference once they become "tried and true."

I really like the Bulwagga and the Rochna. There is also that plow type anchor with the float on top that looks very interesting.
Old 21-03-2008, 09:22   #39
cruiser

Well, it's a shame this anchor thread wasn't as productive as Dave may have wanted it to be. I guess anchor threads always "drag" after a while...

To all the naysayers regarding how to set a CQR, I only say one thing:

Do you live at anchor 24/7/365?

I do. I'm writing this from anchor right now. An anchor set properly without using the engine.

Have fun dragging around this weekend when you take the boat out of the marina...

I'm done with this thread.

You go and try to help... and you get hecklers. Pretty F'd up.
Old 21-03-2008, 09:30   #40
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
An anchor set properly without using the engine.
If you don't want to use your engine to verify the quality of your anchor set, then don't. But if you can't back down a bit on your anchor with the engine, how in the world can you expect it to hold when it blows?
Old 21-03-2008, 10:45   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Like Sean, I strenuously object when someone doesn’t accept my expert advice as absolute gospel.
Naysayers, with differing opinions, shouldn’t be allowed out in public, and certainly not on-line.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 10:47   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Naysayers, with differing opinions, shouldn’t be allowed out in public, and certainly not on-line.
Who has the most barnacles on their hulls. A keel hauling is certainly in order.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 18:14   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Some of my best friends...

I am expecting that a series of gentle nudges would set an anchor better than a single hard drag with the engine.

Once the anchor has had time to set I might even test it with a bit of power.

Some of my best friends are Sea-Ray (or similar) owners.
Old 22-03-2008, 22:38   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Interesting discussion on the "best and proper" way to set a CQR anchor. I can understand the points made, but in the real world of anchoring and sleeping at night, the CQR didn't do it for us.

We often arrived at our anchorage late in the afternoon, and we didn't have time for the CQR to "set in" for a couple of hours. We had to know that the anchor was holding immediately. In Suvarov atoll, there are coral heads scattered all over the lagoon, and once the sun goes down, if your anchor drags, you are toast. If there is a wind shift or a squall at night, you don't have the luxury of the anchor taking time to gradually sink in for a bite. There are too many coral heads close at hand in every direction.

When we anchored behind Fraser Island in Australia, there was a 180 degree shift in strong current several times a day, and we didn't have the luxury of waiting for the CQR to gradually set in the seabed. There are boats all around in many tight anchorages, and the anchor has to reset immediately, or you will hit another yacht. We had to move our catamaran on two separate occasions because yachts were dragging down on us when their anchors did not reset when the tide/current shifted.

When my CQR worked, it worked great. And if there weren't wind shifts, tide and current shifts, then I could have slept at night with my CQR. But where I cruised, there were wind shifts, tide shifts, and current shifts.

The issue for me wasn't whether I could get the CQR to set. I could always get it to set. The problem was how long it would take to reset when my yacht was in a remote location and a failure to reset would result in disaster. That was my problem with the CQR with our high windage yacht.

In the real world of trade wind cruising with squalls, wind shifts and currents, I had to have an anchor that reliably reset in the dark without my intervention.

That's why I switched to a Buegel, and after I got my Buegel, I was able to sleep at night without an anchor watch. The Buegel reset quickly when a wind or current/tide shift happened.

The question remains the same. Do you have an anchor that makes it possible for you to sleep at night? What anchor is it?

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 22:46   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
"My honest opinon is that most anchors are basically the same. It's your anchoring system that makes the difference. "

How can you say this?
By using, testing and specing anchoring systems for many many years with many many people on many many differing boats in many many differing situations. But that's just me.

Disagree about all anchors are basically the same though.

Quote:
The wildcard in the anchoring system is the anchor.
Completely disagree. The biggest wildcard by a mile is the dick on the stick i.e the user. You can put the best system ever thought to man onto a boat and someone will, usually un-intentionally, find a way to make it not work.

Quote:
I further suspect that some of these new anchor innovations will make all the difference once they become "tried and true."
Agree that the newer anchors do have big advantages over the old but the old work if set-up right, to say otherwise is just silly and that's been proven by err... 100,000's of boaters.

Just come back from a few days away and the weather was glorious. 10-12kts during the day and nudging 18 in the evening seabrezze. My anchor never set once and the entire time the chain came off it at 90 degrees. Never once did it look like it had been straightened out and I'm running light gear for the size of my boat. Sure that won't work everywhere but with our sandy with an occasional splash of mud it certainly does. So the bits behind my anchor do a lot of work in their own right, I don't just rely on a hook at the end of 'any old thing'.

So I'd like to restate 'An anchor is only as good as the entire anchoring system it is part of. Get that system right and the anchor doesn't have to work as hard as it may on a poorly set-up system'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
But if you can't back down a bit on your anchor with the engine, how in the world can you expect it to hold when it blows?
By having a good system which will help a good anchor do it's business properly. I don't have the Hp to back an anchor in so I let the boat do it for me. It's not hard once you get the knack of each boat.

I must admit there is also a 'confidence' issue involved here and I have no problem with that. I've been doing it this way as long as I can remember and never had any issues even with lightweight alloys in 45kts of wind (actually have to motor ahead to set it in that) so I'm confident it works for me and some others who do the same.

So we are back to what anchor helps you sleep. Any if set-up accordingly is my call.

FYI - saw 2 multiple sets this weekend i.e. tried and tried again. One was a CQR type (couldn't quite make out which one) and a new gen one we all here know. The CQR type just didn't for some reason but they got it 3rd go. The new one had 3 goes then left the bay for somewhere else I'm guessing. To much Hp applied before they got a good bite and tore it out again looking at the marks on the seabed (who's got new dive gear then, one of those Mini-B things, I like it). Even the new ones aren't idiot proof.

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: