Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 10:19   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
What Size Anchor

I am in the process of buying a 2nd anchor and in the process I was going on the assumption that for a 30 footer..less than 10,000 lbs that a 22 lb delta would be sufficient; however, now i am be told that you should use 1lb per foot of boat which would mean a 30lb anchor...now that completly different if u belive what is said in most catalogs...which is correct ?
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 10:22   #2

Re: What size anchor

You might want to consider anchor system sizing, like this:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & SwivelsGround Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

Just find the holding power of your anchor and use the tables.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 10:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 310

You can not use general rules for anchor sizing. It is all specific to the brand you are going to buy and the specifics of your boat. Go to the manufacturers website and find out what they recommend. Lewmar recommends a 14 to 22 lb anchor depending on the conditions and specifics of the boat when using a delta style but recommends a 20 to 25 lb anchor for a CQR style.

Also, what is the use of the anchor? If you are looking for a lunch hook that can be smaller. If you are planning to go cruising and stay at anchor then that is different.

And let's not even get on the subject of why you would pick a delta over a new generation anchor.
Old 18-02-2014, 11:23   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2nd anchor and in the process I was going on the assumption that for a 30 footer..less than 10,000 lbs that a 22 lb delta would be sufficient; however, now i am be told that you should use 1lb per foot of boat which would mean a 30lb anchor...now that completly different if u belive what is said in most catalogs...which is correct ?

Have you seen a 22# Delta? Does it look like something you would risk you boat with? Get the biggest you can fit on your boat and handle. I'm in the get at LEAST 1 size up from the charts camp and for a 30' boat that should still be pretty easy to handle.
Old 18-02-2014, 11:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use a 44 pound Bruce on a 34 foot boat with a low free board. 33 pounds should be the minimum anchor size for a thirty boat. 33 will work but 44 pound let you sleep in the night during a storm
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 12:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since we are on this, what size / type of anchor to ride out a serious blow in assuming sandy / possibly muddy bottom? 36' boat and 16,000 lbs?
I ask as it seems my hurricane plan is to abandon the slip and go up river and find a hole to hide in. Gut tells me an anchor can't be too big, just too small, but surely there is a point of diminishing returns?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 13:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
How are you planning to use this anchor? 22 lb delta might be sufficient for your boat depending on how you will use this second anchor. What is your first anchor?
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 13:57   #8

Boat: Dawson / Pro Cat

Hank go with 30lb,think you mite be able to find one at the second hand shop in Bridgeton on you way down this week stop in and see what they have I saw a few the other week and see id they have any bows for your solar panels too.
shane malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

For SHHP anchors guidance for Your boat is:

Rocna - 22/33 lbs
Mantus - 35 lbs
SARCA Excel - 35 lbs
Ultra - 35 lbs

So generally You need SHHP anchor of about 33 - 35 lbs.
For Delta You need to multiply it by 1.5 at least.
Do not give any attention to Delta sizing chart - it is pure marketing blah, blah, blah...

And do not follow my own mistakes. Do not buy Delta - it sucks.
Go straight for new generation SHHP anchor to be on a safe side with Your boat
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

I think this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ter-99104.html

is worth to go through.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 15:31   #11

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Buy a Manson Supreme or a Rocna and go "ONE" size larger and you can drop it and set it and go to sleep in a storm and NOT worry about dragging anchor.
If you start going to large on anchors they don't like to Set properly because the boat is to light to set it properly. I like the Manson, because of the slot. Makes it easier to retrieve.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 17:41   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
What size anchor

You did not say what your primary is . If it's adequate plus and has best chain/gear etc... Then maybe a fortress fx 37 would be way over kill and light. Depends on where and what the primary is. Having a light high hold anchor is nice a second.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 18:21   #13

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Wow...My daddy once told me never get in an arguement with anyone over "oil/politics/religion or women...said u will never find any two people that will agree...I am thinking we need to throw in anchors as well...I do appericate all the comments and belive me i am listening
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 18:24   #14

Boat: PETERSON 44

Your listening but your not saying much. It's relative what's the primary? Or is the 22 lb delta primary? Where are you cruising?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 19:08   #15

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

using a 20# on our 38' Ohlson. working great..far better than the 35# cqr that was on it.

Anchors are as close to a religious opinion as you can get in boating!

I am a believer in engineering over weight... then again, our boat doesn't have an anchor locker, so i have to lug the rode up each time i have to anchor.. The Spade anchor, being lighter and well engineered sets far faster and doesnt pop out in 90-180 degree swing like the cqr was doing regularly.

For the OP, the 15# A-80 would probably be fine, or the a100. A80 downside the spade is stupid expensive... then again, so is having your anchor break free at 4am (been there, done that!)
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, size