Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 22:43   #46
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Where did you get those orange snubber rings? Google only shows some place in NZ.
Italy from a crowd called Maggi Catene Spa. Maggi is the family name, with the 9th generation of Maggis now running the company. Catene is Italian for chain. That's today language lesson out of the way

I haven't got more info to hand but I'll suss tomorrow and see what more I can find out.

Those rings are a bit in your face colour wise and aren't at the budget end of the price scale but they are bloody good. The ones on my boat have been working reasonably hard (ferry wakes giving us a nasty ground swell in the marina) for 3 years. I gave them a bit of a wipe a few weeks back and they came up looking brand new with zero signs of any wear or tear. Don't know what they are made of but it's bloody tuff stuff.

What size are you thinking about John?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 23:30   #47
Marine Service Provider

I've just asked Maggi where to get them in the US. Unfortunately they don't have anyone doing them there. Strange but there you go.

I'll investigate further.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 05:25   #48

Boat: Skookum 53 - Seahorse
Thanks, GMac.

Actually, I intend to use them on my paravane tow wires to eliminate the transmission of 100Hz hum up and into the boat. A fellow cruiser has tried the straight snubbers and they don't last. The tension can be up to about 3000lb. I'm thinking to put them at the end of the 5/8" 3-strand nylon pendants. So I guess I'd use the 14-16mm size.

John
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 08:21   #49

Boat: MJM 50 Z
I have noticed something about the replies from folks who get along fine without a snubber. Most anchor in deeper water !
Without getting too technical- for a given scope, say 5 , the caternary becomes more effective as the depth of water increases.
I had personal experience with this one night when forced to anchor in 25 ft. of water and no snubber. The ride was much smoother even with 20 to 30 kts wind.

Normally I look for a shallow spot 5 to 10 feet. The snubber is a life saver on my boat which can swing a lot. without the snubber the boat will sail up and turn sideways to the wind, then jerk back on the rode. This is real noisy and creates high shock loads.
The snubber I use does not rub or twist the line. It's just a straight pull and it stretches. the material is polyurethane. The idea is that this device will perform and survive when conditions go way bad. The dock line snubbers that I have seen look like they will melt themselves or the line used to wrap around them in a long hard blow when used for an anchor snubber.
GMac- how are the rings rigged up?

Carl
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote