Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 17:00   #1

WASI Anchor

Here is a picture of my WASI anchor on its mount. I would like to try a Rocna some time, but this ones stainless and has a custom built mount. Seems to work fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3614923518.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	62881  
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31   #2

The question is, should I upgrade to a Rocna ? At the moment my second anchor is a 60 lb CQR. I saw the Ultra Anchor demo'd at a show recently in their sandbox and the Ultra, Rocna and the WASi all seemed about equal
Old 03-07-2013, 22:55   #3
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: WASI Anchor

Whenever I see the Ultra anchor being tested on the Ultra stand in a sand box it always comes out best. Which proves that a model Ultra anchor made by Ultra is very good. I assume that to be fair the other anchors were made accurately by their competitors and donated to Ultra to ensure technical accuracy (in the dry).

I'm not sure that this test means anything.

It is a silly test, particularly as it seems to be taken seriously by Ultra themselves.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 17:23   #4

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

We put an Ultra Anchor on a 52' cat last year and I have been pleased with it. My wife wanted a shiney anchor and I said fine but lets get a new technnology anchor. got a good deal at the boat show a year and a half ago on the anchor. We had the anchor put on a boat going to tortola where our boat was also headed.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 20:56   #5

Not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing, but I have just chatted with a guy who has a Ultra and was at anchor when the last tsunami hit, the boat turned several 360's with the tidal surge. When the time came to weigh anchor, it was very hard to get it out of e bottom. Visual inspection showed it had corkscrewed in very deep and was a bear to pull it out! I wonder if any of the anchor tests has checked for this ?
Old 21-08-2013, 21:09   #6

Boat: csy 37

i've got the manson supreme, which seems to resemble your anchor pretty closely.

in nearly forty years of sailing i've never encountered a better anchor. i sail florida/bahamas. it has never failed to hold first time every time. two months ago we were anchored in white sound, green turtle cay, when a sudden big storm blew through. boats all around us were dragging and we didn't budge. i know several of the other boats so i know what kind of anchors some of them were using, and they weren't new generation anchors.

just my two cents....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 00:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Wasi or Bugal anchor is a good anchor. The smaller flat blade instead of a larger concave blade of the Rocna means the holding is not quite as good especially in soft substrates, but it is close.
The improvement going to Rocna in most bottom conditions will be small and given your current anchor is working well and fits the bow roller I would not change.

The lightweight Fortress anchor is a very good compliment. It is easy to dingy, or even swim out (with a fender for flotation) and the times when a second anchor is needed the pull tends to be from a constant direction so the biggest weakness of the Fortress is not exposed.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 06:47   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing, but I have just chatted with a guy who has a Ultra and was at anchor when the last tsunami hit, the boat turned several 360's with the tidal surge. When the time came to weigh anchor, it was very hard to get it out of e bottom. Visual inspection showed it had corkscrewed in very deep and was a bear to pull it out! I wonder if any of the anchor tests has checked for this ?
Although a PITA, it seems like this behavior is a good thing. The anchor would not have dug deeper if its initial holding was sufficient for the increased conditions.

I want my anchor to hold me when things go bad even if I have to abandon it afterwards.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 07:22   #9

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Ultra, Fortress, Excel and a few others will bury themselves and keep diving if you continue to pull on them in the right sea bed. This is a virtue, not a fault. Hoop style anchors, not so much, because the hoop will interfere with diving.
Old 22-08-2013, 07:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Although a PITA, it seems like this behavior is a good thing.

The new generation anchors do dig down a long way. Many people are used to just pulling their anchor up and tend to panic the first time they use the new generation anchors particuarly after a blow.

With the new generation anchors you usually have to cleat them off at 1:1 and wait.

Normally its very reassuring, it can be a pain if your anchor is under another boat.
Old 22-08-2013, 10:48   #11

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Ultra, Fortress, Excel and a few others will bury themselves and keep diving if you continue to pull on them in the right sea bed. This is a virtue, not a fault. Hoop style anchors, not so much, because the hoop will interfere with diving.
Where did you get that? My Manson Supreme keeps burying itself just fine. Most of the time when I dive on it in sand you can't see much but a little bit of the shank and then the chain.
Old 22-08-2013, 10:53   #12

Last weekend I rafted up with two other boats,, a 50 footer and a 30 footer, mine being a very heavy Hans Christian 38. My Wasi Bugel was the only anchor used. When I retrieved it, it was obviously buried deep judging by the strain on the windless and the amount of mud on it when it surfaced.
Old 22-08-2013, 10:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Where did you get that? My Manson Supreme keeps burying itself just fine. Most of the time when I dive on it in sand you can't see much but a little bit of the shank and then the chain.
The hoop is perpendicular to the direction of burying. In light sand or mud, you might not notice it, but in most every other substrate, the vertical hoop inhibits burying when compared to an anchor without a hoop. How could it be otherwise, given the laws of physics?
Old 22-08-2013, 11:12   #14

Quote:
Last weekend I rafted up with two other boats,, a 50 footer and a 30 footer, mine being a very heavy Hans Christian 38. My Wasi Bugel was the only anchor used. When I retrieved it, it was obviously buried deep judging by the strain on the windless and the amount of mud on it when it surfaced.
Obviously? It's only obvious if you dive the anchor, and in mud, a concrete block will bury itself. Try mixed sand, mud and shell and compare the burying of an anchor with a vertical hoop presenting a 30 square inches or so of vertical drag to one with a 3rd generation anchor without a hoop and see what happens.

There are numerous web videos illustrating the point. Here's one of a test conducted by Robertson's in Oz:

Old 22-08-2013, 11:30   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Diving on a lot of anchors I can see no evidence of this.

The best setting anchors are invariably the Rocna, Manson Supreme and Spade. Two of these are roll bar anchors. The Bugal is also very good

If the roll bar does reduce diving the thin sharp toe (compared with the Spade) makes up for the difference.

The general praise from owners and the good results in anchor tests supports the deep diving of the roll bar anchors.