Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 05:00   #151
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Visibility While at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
And completely trash any night vision?

Just an all-around white at the masthead meets the all round part of the rules ok, personally I don't think meets the "where it can best be seen" part very well. I think the OP is smart to look at additional low level lighting.

Amblers point about the lost depth perception with masthead lights is very true in my experience.
Most folks night vision is pretty trashed anyway with all the displays one has in cockpits these days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:51   #152

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Visibility While at Anchor

Question: After 150 posts on the subject, has anyone made plans to move or add his/her anchor light(s)?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:02   #153

Why is no one addressing the fact that..

If you have a mast...

By definition, the only light that meets the colgregs requirement of a 360 light *is* one at the top of the mast?

Adding more lights lower is a great idea, but not having a light visible through 360 degrees is in violation of colregs.

LED spreader and cabin lights left on through the night can help add visibility by outlining the shape of the boat at eye level, but by law, if you have a mast, you need one at the top.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12   #154
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Question: After 150 posts on the subject, has anyone made plans to move or add his/her anchor light(s)?
Me, me, me! Really!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:13   #155
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Visibility While at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post

If you have a mast...

By definition, the only light that meets the colgregs requirement of a 360 light *is* one at the top of the mast?

Adding more lights lower is a great idea, but not having a light visible through 360 degrees is in violation of colregs.

LED spreader and cabin lights left on through the night can help add visibility by outlining the shape of the boat at eye level, but by law, if you have a mast, you need one at the top.
Quit with the logic..
This is CF...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15   #156

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

rwidman,yes. The thread has allowed me to reprioritise the need to acquire additional lighting for mounting at a lower level.

In fact a large M/V passed close ahead last night in high winds being pushed to leeward toward me. My thought was he should have turned away sooner and considered more the leeway.

Maybe he didn't see my dark hulled boat soon enough up in his full enclosed fly bridge on a dark, rainy, and windy night.

Less than an hour later I read this thread and it offers good food for thought. Maybe I should have helped the captain more to see me.

Big cats have a nice growl when you poor the fuel to them.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:16   #157
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:

If you have a mast...

i use a light of most brightness and fresnel lens placed in my foretriangle, as has traditionally been done for decades if not centuries. has proven to be 360 visibility and is NOT pricey yotty bs.
i also have a brighter than bright light in my cockpit. just in case someone cannot see the whole boat via my lights up water, half the boat and rig foretriangle lighting.
i have seen pangas and dinghies collide with sailing craft insistent on use of only masthead lighting, i have not been able to see masthead lighting in anchorages set inside cliff walled coves with houses lighted on them...
i have preferred to use traditional methods over the trendy since i was young, and with excellent results.
i add fun lights in cockpit when i feel need to be seen better
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:44   #158

Boat: Orca 38

Zee

I'm having a hard time imagining your traditional system.
Any chance you can post a pic of your bow set up?

And what of regs?
Does that comply then?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05   #159
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Depends on where you're anchored. When there are no shore lights to confuse the issue -- like anchored on the Rio Chagres, or even the Everglades/10,000 Islands in the dark of night with fishermen flying up and down the river ... We have our all around white anchor light on top of the arch. On the other hand, since we're a dark hulled sailboat, we use a solar light on the bow as well as leave a solar light on in the cockpit. Saves my nerves.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:

If you have a mast...

Annex I of the Colregs

(b)

(i) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.

(ii) If it is impracticable to comply with paragraph (b)(i) of this section by exhibiting only one all-round light, two all-round lights shall be used suitably positioned or screened so that they appear, as far as practicable, as one light at a distance of one mile.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:03   #161
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mine are visible 3 miles, observed, and placed traditionally, in fore triangle, which is where jib goes, at about 6 ft above deck.
i ALSO place one under mizzenboom.

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:30   #162

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mine are visible 3 miles, observed, and placed traditionally, in fore triangle, which is where jib goes, at about 6 ft above deck.
i ALSO place one under mizzenboom.

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
Absolute star!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:32   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Annex I of the Colregs

(b)

(i) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.

(ii) If it is impracticable to comply with paragraph (b)(i) of this section by exhibiting only one all-round light, two all-round lights shall be used suitably positioned or screened so that they appear, as far as practicable, as one light at a distance of one mile.
Ah.,. should have pulled the book out.

I'd hate to find out I'm at 7 degrees in the event of collision though.

Seems the best answer is to have both high and lower lighting.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:37   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Definitely. Not because of this thread, but because of the accident I had last fall which resulted (indirectly) from a fishing boat's not having seen my anchor light.

I will be using my deck lights in future, until I come up with a suitable lantern to hoist into the foretriangle.

In addition to my normal anchor light.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:31   #165

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:

If you have a mast...

Read collregs annex 1 section 9 b (I) and b(ii)

Easiest place to find them is in the "marine orders part 30"

Edit: see Nigel beat me too it, the upshot is that a masthead or steaming light coupled with a stern light is acceptable in lieu of a conventional anchor light.

Good to have Dockheads unfortunate experience mentioned here, its a good reason to have good deck level lighting.

Another point is that having a backup system on is good practise, hard to argue your light was on, when the bulb has possibly blown...

Tags
anchor