Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:34   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Visibility While at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

So, what boat do you own now?

Considering the "be nice rule" here at C.F., I'll moderate my response to your outlandish, unbelievably selfish comment to simply say you reveal a profound lack of understanding of the meaning of good seamanship and common courtesy...

Never say never...

I think you're getting bent out of shape over nothing. Boats are not Motel 6, we don't leave the lights on for you.

We display an anchor light and possible other lights to comply with the law and to protect our boats by illuminating them. If you're trying to enter an anchorage after dark, you can't count on other boats getting there first and lighting the place up.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:06   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think you're getting bent out of shape over nothing. Boats are not Motel 6, we don't leave the lights on for you.
Good judgement, common courtesy, good seamanship and mutal respect between boaters are ideals that some within our ranks apparently feel are unimportant. Goes a long way toward explaining why the boating environment is affected by growing numbers of anchorages crowded with derelict boats, people who use inadequate ground tackle and others that engage in all sorts of inconsiderate and anti-social behavior.

Quote:
"We"....
We? For whom do you presume to speak? Them or us?

Quote:
...display an anchor light and possible other lights to comply with the law and to protect our boats by illuminating them. If you're trying to enter an anchorage after dark, you can't count on other boats getting there first and lighting the place up.
If the anchorage is empty and no possible aide to navigation exists, including masthead or other possibly helpful lights there may be no choice but to move on...

Otherwise, refer to my paragraph above.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09   #78

Quote:
Good judgement, common courtesy, good seamanship and mutal respect between boaters are ideals that some within our ranks apparently feel are unimportant. Goes a long way toward explaining why the boating environment is affected by growing numbers of anchorages crowded with derelict boats, people who use inadequate ground tackle and others that engage in all sorts of inconsiderate and anti-social behavior.

We? For whom do you presume to speak? Them or us?

Refer to my paragraph above.
Huh?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25   #79
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

within usa or where ever you currently sail is probably not wherein nor near anywhere that boats actively anchor.
obviously.
what is REAL is that when your lights are not visible to other boats, WHEN you are hit, the responsibility is NOT on the one hitting you.
you CAN lose your boat when you are invisible and hit.

good luck with y'alls attitudes.

i am out here and i am seeing many allegedly visible boats actually being INVISIBLE to other boats.
sometimes you cannot control your anchoring spot and time. you may need to enter strange harbor in darkness. you will want to be able to place all anchored boats.
good luck.
they want to place you as well.
might wanna learn the rules before stretching em. when ye stretch em make sure you are more than covered by the law you stretch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:30   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Huh?
Not in the least surprised you don't get it.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:32   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
within usa or where ever you currently sail is probably not wherein nor near anywhere that boats actively anchor.
obviously.
what is REAL is that when your lights are not visible to other boats, WHEN you are hit, the responsibility is NOT on the one hitting you.
you CAN lose uour boat when you are invisible and hit.

good luck with y'alls attitudes.

i am out here and i am seeing many allegedly visible boats actually being INVISIBLE to other boats.
sometimes you cannot control your anchoring spot and time. you may need to enter strange harbor in darkness. you will want to be able to place all anchored boats.
good luck.
they want to place you as well.
might wanna learn the rules before stretching em. whe ye stretch em make sure you are more than covered by the law you stretch.
Thank you Zeehag!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:33   #82

Quote:
Not in the least surprised you don't get it.
If your post had made sense, I would have understood it. You should read what you write before you click the "Submit Reply" button.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
month I have seen large barges with a pusher tug pass by here at around 3 a.m so there is traffic tht could seriously spoil the day of an invisible craft anchored in the channel.
No one else seems to have picked up on this one.

Doesn't matter how well you are lit if you are dumb enough to anchor in the channel!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:57   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

My view is that anchored boats should want to reduce their risk of collision by displaying good anchor lighting.

I might well be entering your anchorage tired, the visibility may be poor, I maybe distracted by some unrelated problem. If I hit your boat it may be legally even morally my fault.

However, this is of little consolation if you are the boat I hit.

These days led lights are available that far exceed the minimum requirements with only a very small penalty in electrical consumption. An additional deck level LED light will probably add less than 2% to your daily electrical consumption.

The surprise is very few boats take advantage of this. Few would consider embarking on offshore voyage on a boat that only meets the bare minimum safety requirements, but many site compliance with the minimum lighting standards of the collision regulations as the ultimate answer.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 13:30   #85

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

There are many designated "general" anchorages in the SF Bay Area, and they all require anchor lights and day shapes. The exception is the "special" anchorage in Richardson Bay (where there is a permanent "fleet" of anchored boats).

Old 01-04-2015, 14:24   #86

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Don't know if anyone's posted a link to the info here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-138473.html or not yet. It also contains links to some other info pertinent to this topic.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:12   #87

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:

So, what boat do you own now?
a 36 ft sailboat like it says by my name on the post and before the motor yacht that we lived on until I had a stroke, I had racing and cruising sailboats in the UK for 50 years, averaging 2,000nm per year the last 25 years of that before we moved to the USA in 2012

Quote:
Considering the "be nice rule" here at C.F., I'll moderate my response to your outlandish, unbelievably selfish comment to simply say you reveal a profound lack of understanding of the meaning of good seamanship and common courtesy...

I think I understand that better than most, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything though and for sure I don't see why I should feel in any way obliged to show leading lights to somebody arriving in the dark in a dodgy anchorage, when good seamanship and planning would have avoided that need, like wot I did when we arrived there in daylight hours. Of course for a negotiable fee, I could come out in our RIB and show you the way in. We would be showing a legal anchor light, a low amp draw LED auto on/off one,most likely hung in the fore triangle under our anchor ball day shape. ..
Never say never...

[/QUOTE]
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:16   #88

I use a low draw spreader light (around 0.5 amps) from Scandvik that illuminates the white deck, sails, dinghy etc. which reflects very well.
Here is a newer version
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...576&id=1659507

I also always keep the masthead anchor light on to meet regulations. Friends were anchored in the Bahamas with cabin lights on and various other lights but no proper anchor light when a powerboat sped into their boat. Because there was no anchor light they never saw a penny.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:27   #89

Boat: Liberty 458

The masthead light is such a pitiful beacon. With low energy draw leds there is no technical impediment to potentially changing this very old norm.

The same challenges arise with motorbikes and cars. It's incredibly difficult to pick out a single light on the road. The light pollution in many anchorages exacerbates the problem of detecting a masthead light even when we are looking for it.

I suspect traditionalists will resist change. From a safety engineering perspective a single non alternating beacon is close to useless.

We follow the rules but are considering additional illumination that increases the chances of being seen while not being annoying.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:44   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
............... for sure I don't see why I should feel in any way obliged to show leading lights to somebody arriving in the dark in a dodgy anchorage, when good seamanship and planning would have avoided that need, like wot I did when we arrived there in daylight hours. Of course for a negotiable fee, I could come out in our RIB and show you the way in. We would be showing a legal anchor light, a low amp draw LED auto on/off one,most likely hung in the fore triangle under our anchor ball day shape. ..
Never say never...
That's the part I don't understand, that he would expect boaters to arrive at an anchorage before him and light his way. If you're going to leave the dock as captain of a boat, you have to be ready to do whatever needs to be done to keep your boat and your passengers safe. You can't count on other boater to do it for you.

What surprised me was his nastiness at my suggestion that it wasn't other boater's responsibility to help him find his way into an anchorage. We light our boats to be legal and to protect them.

It's probably the best plan to plan on arriving at an anchorage before dark, especially if you've never anchored there before or if it's a tricky anchorage. That may mean getting underway earlier or it may mean selecting anchorages closer together. One risk you run when planning a late arrival at an anchorage is that there may not be room for your boat. What then?

Tags
anchor