Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 08:21   #16

re: Visibility While at Anchor

Personally, I sleep with the honda 2000 runing, I am in the dark aft cabin, salon lights are on, anchor lite is on, and the bridge has led lights on. Lit up like a christmast tree.
Floridakeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:21   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmover2 View Post
Why would anyone go for the Lowe's/HD special solar lights when your family and boat safety ought to come first? ..............

I wonder that also. Safety is not the place to cheap out.
Old 30-03-2015, 08:21   #18

Boat: csy 37

Jon, exactly what I do. A Bebi anchor light a few feet above deck level. The automatic one so I never have to remember to turn it on. Amazing how far those Bebi lights can be seen - much brighter than most anchor lights.

Too bad they went out of business.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:32   #19

Good topic. I was discussing this with Coast Guard and the dilemma with the mast top 360 and speed boat visibility. They know it is dangerous and suggest using recreational deck lights.

I tried the solar rope lights and they are ok but not very bright. They are lasting the night in summer where they have 16 hours of charge.

I have since ordered the 5 meter waterproof LEDs off EBAY. They can be seen for miles and are about 13 dollars a roll. One does not show up on my charge monitor so it is less than an amp. How you attach is obviously variable. The rolls can be cut and even purchased in shorter lengths which saves a few bucks. I think my boat can be seen for miles on smooth water.
By the way, the solar rope lights can be cut loose from the cell and tied into 12v nad so far work fine....a bit brighter.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:33   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Not for the OP, but for those jerks who don't show proper lights.

1. Use an anchor light that meets col regs. If you get whacked by someone who claims to be keeping a proper watch, and you don't have lights on per regs, guess who is at fault? (Hint: You, you idiot!)

If someone gets injured or worse, you could lose everything you own. Over the cost of a proper light or the power it draws? You're joking right?

When we quietly slip into an anchorage after dark, any boat that isn't lit up before, sure is during our entrance, with 2 x 1 MCP spotlights trained on there vessels, hoping to wake the occupants to REMIND them to turn on their anchor light.

I don't care if you're in a marked anchorage, or your inside 100 boats further out in the harbour than you, at least show a legal anchor light.

2. Cheap solar lights instead of legal anchor lights. Are you kidding me? So you only anchor evenings after bright sunny days until 12 am when your lights start dimming? Don't care if you get whacked and injure others after dull days or later in the evening after the garden light dims or goes out completely?

Some people are unsafe at any speed, even anchored.

3. Additional lighting to minimum legal requirements. Sure, can't hurt. But garden lights? They are merely for decoration. IMHO dollar store lights make your yacht look like, well, it came from a dollar store. If you are serious about lighting up your boat at anchor to protect you, your vessel, and others, and are going to go to the effort to purchase and install something, then at least use something that stands a chance of meeting intended purpose (shining reasonably bright all night). If you have solar panels, then any LED you permanently install, is a solar light. And many solar charge controllers have a dusk to dawn load output built in, that you can use to feed your anchor switch, so all anchor lighting is controlled.

Rod Brandon
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:36   #21

Nearly important as adequate anchor lighting is choosing an anchorage that takes into account:

1.) traffic patterns
2.) Onshore lighting that may diminish the visibility of your boat lights.

Choosing an anchorage where traffic is minimal or even forced onto a path that will bypass your boat minimizes the possibility an operator adversely affected by drugs and or alcohol will ram your boat.

Be careful to choose lights that will not blind others. One downside of LED lights available to bicyclists nowadays - especially when worn on one's head - is that when the rider looks toward an oncoming cyclist the rider is blinded by the light.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bacon View Post
There was a recent thread about a boat that was rammed by another boat while at anchor. Apart from that thread, I have read about and seen the results of a number of collisions while boats were at anchor.
All of this resulted in my renewed interest in lighting up my boat while anchored with something more than just the masthead anchor light.

I did see a light that clamped on a stanchion and illuminated the boat, but, they were about $70 a piece, and probably would have needed at least 4. Although nice looking, unobtrusive, and, apparantly, professionally made, the expense factor eliminates these as an option.

Most of the solar lights that I have experienced will not stay lighted throughout the night, so, these may not be fully effective either.

My thought is some type of light that reflects off the white topsides of the boat, but, unsure how to do this while conserving battery power at the same time.

Any ideas on how best to add some illumination to your boat while anchored ?
Yep, light up your cabin/cockpit. A lot easier to see from the water than an anchor light. Hang a light under the boom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:57   #23

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Often wondered why a strobe light (white,or some agreed upon color) wouldn't be a good anchor light,if added to COLREGS.
One strobe-very noticeable,regardless of background lights or "reasonable" height. The human eye detects change many times better than fixed.

Sure there is a reason why not-just wondering.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:06   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a solar light that I got because I needed to make an order sipping minimum. It's surprisingly bright and is how I find my boat in mooring/anchorage field.

I do turn on my masthead anchor light when somewhere other than a mooring field. But I feel is more of a rules thing than any chance of someone seeing my boat instead of losing that light among the stars.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:07   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I too have witnessed a collision at anchor and heard the crackling of breaking fiberglass. Fortunately, it wasn't my boat.

I'm always annoyed when boats under way pass close ahead of a boat at anchor. The sailboats risk "tripping" their keel or rudder on the anchor line. And the power boats don't seem to realize their props are mere inches away from an anchor line. Either situation can cause real grief.

Anyway, with regard to lights...For several years I used a Davis Mini Amp Mega Light. Its an incredible light, draws almost no power...something like 0.01 amps of current at 12V, and yet with its fresnel lens, its quite bright and visible. I plugged it into a 12volt outlet in the cockpit, and merely draped it over the boom. My only complaint was that it attracted bugs to the cockpit, as would any light. Also, insanely expensive...like $80 for one little light. Still tho, served me well, and sold with the boat.

Now I use a cheap Energizer LED waterproof flashlight that cost about $10 at Canadian Tire. Its a red model that is supposed to be like a hanging lamp for camping, with an all around light. It also has an attached shock cord for hanging. Its LED, and runs on 4 AA batteries, so no cord. I find that one set of batteries will run for about 10 nights, which is pretty much all the anchoring I do in one season. I like it so much that I bought a spare. I tie off my halyards at the mast with a bungee, and I hang the anchor light from that bungee, so that it is just off the mast. Its sheds plenty of light all over the bow, and is quite bright. If there is a storm coming, or just want extra visibility, I'll hang one on either side of the mast. It could just as easily be hung from the boom or stern rail. Although it will go through batteries, the total cost over several years is still much less than any fancy boat store anchor light. Plus it serves as a spare flashlight when not in use. I think this solution falls under the catagory of "less is more".

I also replaced all my below deck lighting with inexpensive LED 12volt fixtures from Canadian tire. Actually it worked out so well, that I've done this same upgrade on the last three boats I've owned. New light fixtures not only look good, but since they are LED, I don't mind when the kids leave them ON all night, since they use almost no power.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Often wondered why a strobe light (white,or some agreed upon color) wouldn't be a good anchor light,if added to COLREGS.
One strobe-very noticeable,regardless of background lights or "reasonable" height. The human eye detects change many times better than fixed.

Sure there is a reason why not-just wondering.
and....30 boats in the same anchorage all with strobe lights.....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Mind boggling.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:19   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

hamburking:

Which light fixtures did you get from Canadian
tire?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:22   #29

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

....and the mooring field would be really noticeable?

and you would probably have to draw ur curtains. Point taken.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:32   #30

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

Funny, I just received a box with 12v LED lights from Amazon a few days ago. All were under $10. I shopped looking for waterproof and low amp draw. In the 6 to 10 dollar range all of them are amazingly bright and use
less then .03 amps. these little lights here lit up my entire cabin and IMO would work as safety lights at anchor.

• Package includes: 2 pieces of COB LED daytime running light
• Size(Approx.): Total L 6 3/4" x W 5/8" (17cm x 1.5cm)
• Color: 6000K Xenon white
• Working Voltage: DC 12V
• Wattage: 6w x2
• Number of LED: COB SMD x2
• Cable length: 30" (75cm)
• Material: Heavy duty Aluminum body.
• High power COB SMD LED light bulb, slim design.
• Emit Super bright xenon white light, high intensity.
• Enhance lighting in rainy and foggy days & brings more safety.
Low power consumption and vibration resistant.
• With 50000 working hours life expectancy. • Our LED light are guaranteed to be the highest quality. .
2 pcs Set Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon White Slim COB LED DRL Daylight Driving Daytime Running Light Lamp For Car SUV Sedan Coupe Veh
Sold by: autocarstore
$7.98
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor