Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 01:17   #76

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Great job on the videos and thank you. This anchoring topic never gives up!

After twice almost ending up on the rocks after my Danforth failed to reset with the change in the tidal direction, I will not use a Danforth or Fortress unless I am in a position in which the direction cannot be changed, such as when my boat is stern-tied. The reason is that any anchor like a Danforth or Fortress that has a crossbar (is that the term?) that is not thoroughly embedded in the sea floor runs the risk of the chain or rode wrapping around the crossbar and shank, and that will not allow the anchor to reset. You just have a pile of steel sliding around on the sea floor. A single shank will rarely allow the chain to be entangled.

Also I find that the wide flat nature of a Danforth or Fortress also makes them very unsuitable on a bottom with any grass on it or a flat and/or crusty surface. They just slide along on top of it. This has happened to me numerous times. After trying about a dozen times to get a Fortress to bite on a chewed up sand-and-mud bottom one night I gave up and tried my old knock-off CQR - and it bit right away. I don't think it was just luck. The lightness of the Fortress is great for handling it, but detracts from it's setting ability.

To be fair, while my Bruce has never failed me, I have seen one fail another boat when it had a large rock jammed in its throat. I have also had a CQR slide along the bottom, having fallen over on it's side.

Nothing is perfect - different boats and different bottoms - but the Rocna or Spade come close - if you have a fat wallet.

RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 03:09   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

RR,

Sorry to hear that you had issues getting your Fortress to set in the bottom conditions that you described.

Please be sure to permanently install the mud palms, which are a set of two metal plates that bolt on to the crown (center part) of the anchor. The mud palms will lift the back end of the anchor up so that the two flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

If you don't have them, then please send me a PM with your model number and address, and I will get a set sent out to you.

There is no question that there are sea bottoms where a single, narrow fluke (such as with the CQR) with a lot of weight behind it might have a better chance of penetrating quickly versus an anchor with two large flukes (Danforth-type).

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 03:20   #78

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
RR,

Sorry to hear that you had issues getting your Fortress to set in the bottom conditions that you described.

Please be sure to permanently install the mud palms, which are a set of two metal plates that bolt on to the crown (center part) of the anchor. The mud palms will lift the back end of the anchor up so that the two flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

If you don't have them, then please send me a PM with your model number and address, and I will get a set sent out to you.

There is no question that there are sea bottoms where a single, narrow fluke (such as with the CQR) with a lot of weight behind it might have a better chance of penetrating quickly versus an anchor with two large flukes (Danforth-type).

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Brian

It is a pleasure to hear you and Mantus, as anchor manufacturers, cheerfully admit that yours might not be the very best anchor for every single application.

Certainly all products have their limitations and manufacturers are wise to admit this.

Honesty is always the best policy

disclaimer - I have 2 Fortresses and a Mantus - partially because i appreciate the company's honesty (and also because they work)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:15   #79
Marine Service Provider

Love the videos. Still trying to wrap my head around how you achieve the camera angle.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:53   #80

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Love the videos. Still trying to wrap my head around how you achieve the camera angle.
I can't give away all my secrets!

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 11:48   #81

I tried to shoot the Forfjord using a ROPE ONLY rode as a follow up to the rope only tests done with the large Fisherman anchor and the 44 lb. Bruce.

Unfortunately, a major malfunction occurred with the camera mount. This resulted in most of the footage being unusable.

I did put together this edited video that might be interesting to watch. For maximum stimulation/minimum boredom, skip to the 2:00 minute mark to see about 25 seconds of anchor dragging.

The camera mount was severely damaged during this shoot. I will re-shoot this test after I construct a new and improved camera mount.

Steve

Old 17-12-2015, 17:54   #82

On another forum, someone was wondering how far the Spade anchor moved while the great turbidity cloud was obscuring the view. This was during in the final, high power setting of the anchor.

Here are two screen shots taken just prior to the turbidity cloud formation and just after its dissipation. I identified a group of white colored objects and circled them. The shots are fuzzy but I can assure you that when viewed in High Definition, these objects are one and the same.

I conclude that the anchor moved about 1 anchor length during this obscured period of the set.

During the initial set, it appears the anchor moved about 1.5 anchor lengths for a total of 2.5 lengths for the entire set.

Steve

Old 18-12-2015, 23:38   #83

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response from a rep. I will look at your kind offer, thank you.

In the instance of having difficulty setting the Fortress anchor in about 10 to 15 ft of depth of water, I should add that I was attached to the Fortress with 30 ft of 3/8" chain, and then rode from then on, so there was a very good angle of attack. The seafloor was mud and sand churned up by the many boats that have anchored there before - including myself many times. I tried faster and slower speeds to set it. None worked. I was really amazed as this was the first time with a Fortress and I almost never have trouble anchoring.

But what does the expert do about preventing a chain wrapping around the cross-bar/shank and preventing the anchor resetting with the tide changes? This problem is extremely rare with an anchor that just has one smooth stock like on a Bruce, Spade or CQR.

I can usually get any anchor set really securely when I set it on arrival, but in the night, after resetting itself (hopefully!), there is unlikely to be enough pull on the anchor in the new position to bury the cross-bar (if that is the right term for it). So when the next tide change takes place, or if the boat wanders around without any substantial wind or tide to carry the boat in one direction, the anchor will likely be fouled by the chain, and not slide off, making for one very concerned sailor when he hauls the anchor!

RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:41   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

RR,

Regarding the instance when you had a setting issue, I am wondering if you might have had the anchor set at the 45° angle? If so, and the bottom was not a very soft mud, then it might have skipped along the bottom and not penetrated as you described.

If the anchor has been loaded up by the engine and/or wind, then the narrow stock (crossbar) should be well-buried, and in turn, it is highly unlikely (but certainly not impossible) for the chain to come backwards when loosened, and then slip under the stock and foul the anchor.

Over the years I have heard concerns about the possibility of this occurring with Fortress and Danforth-type anchors (noted boating writer Tom Neale brought it up in an article once), but I have not been contacted directly by a Fortress owner who ever had this issue.

Regards,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 23:13   #85

Anchor Right of Australia submitted a 48 pound SARCA Excel No. 5 anchor for testing.

This is my first and only experience with this brand of anchor. I have a fairly good sense about metal structures and my impression is that this is a very well made piece. Very robust. Nothing flimsy. Smooth finishes. Nice galvanizing.

Here is a side shot of the anchor nestled into Panope's Bow Roller. Note the down-turned toe. The anchor toe is also weighted. The Shank has a "notch" in the vicinity of the roller (not visible in pic) that prevents the anchor from moving upward too far (for my roller, this works perfectly to keep the toe from contacting the hull).

I conducted three test videos of the Excel today. Unfortunately, the underwater anchor videos that I have shot most recently have been plagued with sediment/turbidity. Previously, I blamed this on my new technique of using forward engine thrust. I theorized that the added thrust was stirring up the bottom. I now believe that the turbidity may be seasonal (dead organic material?).

This video includes my standard 3.5 to 1 scope set and 180 degree re-set. The rode is then re-positioned to the stern and a full power forward pull is conducted.

This, and many other of my videos were uploaded in high definition. Viewing on the YouTube site with full screen may help with clarity.

Steve

Old 31-12-2015, 00:08   #86

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Bad luck with the visability.

One thing that was obvious was the ability of the Excel to dive.

Good of Anchoright to submit an anchor for testing. Shows their confidence in their design.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 00:34   #87

downunder,

I agree, this anchor dives rapidly with NO heaping of substrate.

Yes, Anchor Right is very confident in their product (for good reason). Also, the fact that they tusted me, an unkown individual - half the world away - to test their product is a good display of their confidence in other people (note: Spade anchor acted similarly and Fortress anchor as also offered an anchor).

I'll also mention that Anchor Right reached out to me first and they made no attempt to "direct" the test procedures. They just said to do the same thing to their anchor as all the rest.
As it should be.

Steve
Old 31-12-2015, 00:41   #88

Here is the next Excel Video. It is a repeat of the previous test (3.5 to 1) but without the stern tie/forward pull test. I was hoping for less turbidity.

Steve

Old 31-12-2015, 10:05   #89

The Excel at 2.5 to 1 scope.

Old 01-01-2016, 17:49   #90

On another forum, someone was questioning the validity of the 'Anchor Right claim' that the "Ex-cel" cut-out aided in keeping the anchor clean. The person even theorized that the cut-outs might actually cause seabed to cling to the anchor. It was a reasonable question.

Here is a screen shot of the anchor form the final frames of my last Video. Only a small blob of seabed remains on the toe. This was consistent for the three retrievals that I have conducted so far.

It would appear that the positive cleaning action of the cut-outs has been verified.

Steve

Tags
anchor