Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18   #61

Boat: Aloha 34
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

I am curious as to which anchors you personally use?

Fantastic vids btw! So informative that it actually makes it harder to select an anchor!!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 14:07   #62

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

That's an interesting video of the Bruce on short scope rope. Shows how important the chain weight can be for getting and anchor to set. And the importance of proper scope. I've always used 5:1 or more for rope, for good reason it would seem. Thanks for that video. Cheers.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 15:29   #63

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

RH: For the last three years, Panope's primary anchor as been the 45 lb. Manson Supreme. Just recently, I acquired the 44 lb. Spade and I will now use it as the primary. I Think the actual difference between these two is very small so I may switch back and forth depending on my mood.

I also keep the big Forfjord in it's hawsepipe. I certainly would not expect anyone to emulate this set-up. I needed to add weight forward for trim and rather than add lead, I chose something useful like another anchor and chain. The hawsepipe keeps the anchor weight low. I also think the Forfjord looks cool .

Also, keep in mind that I am no globe circling, Strait of Magellan conquering old salt. I just like mucking around with boats but I live in a house. I may have different preferences after a future trip to Alaska has been knocked off.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 15:37   #64

Snow, The Excellent setting of the 100lb. Fisherman on rope rode was what inspired the rope test of the Bruce. No real surprise with the results.

I'll soon test the Forfjord with all rope rode . It has a very heavy shank and it just might do O.K.

Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 19:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

I also keep the big Forfjord in it's hawsepipe. I certainly would not expect anyone to emulate this set-up. I needed to add weight forward for trim and rather than add lead, I chose something useful like another anchor and chain. The hawsepipe keeps the anchor weight low. I also think the Forfjord looks cool .

Ha! That is AWESOME! Did you do the fitting yourself?
Old 05-12-2015, 19:57   #66

RH, Yes, I did a massive Modification/Refit of the boat. Details in the link below.
Old 05-12-2015, 20:18   #67

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Here is a 40 lb. Luke (COPY). I am using an improved camera lash-up that puts the camera off to one side of the anchor. My preference is to not reveal the secret.

Steve

I am guessing you were out in front of the PT city dock, but close in. I have dragged so often out there that I just run the wife in for Thai food and will not leave the boat. If it is blowing I don't sleep much.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 20:49   #68

Idora: Actually, with the exception of the sand/gravel tests outside of Point Hudson, all these videos were shot about a half mile SouthWest of the big marina.

What kind of anchor were you using when you dragged by the city dock?

Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 21:40   #69

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

A big fat CQR with about 4:1 all chain scope. Boat is 23K and anchor is 60lbs I believe. In order to leave enough room for the tide to swing and account for a wind shift to the south (imagine that) my comfort zone puts me in 40-60 ft of water off the dock. I have always thought that the real difficulty is Idora's lousy thrust in reverse (to set the hook). I am looking at a brand new Max prop (literally sitting in my living room) that should help matters. After Christmas (me wrk wrk wrk) I am hoping Julia can find me a spot over at Haven to get some wood work done ( just dog house corners ) and since Doug is over there now, new Dripless stern bearing, assemble and mount new prop, and some paint in the engine space. (I can paint myself if I go in there but not the boat.) Gotta make new life lines, replace halyards, replace some sheets, pull and steam clean Force 10 3 burner... If I can get most of that done by spring I shall disappear into BC for most of the summer.:-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 21:43   #70

Idora: Sounds like a good list of improvements, and an even better summer itinerary with that disappearing act. Good luck.

In the future I'll see if I can't find that bad spot over by the city dock. Then again, I would not be surprised if the Spade or Manson is able cope with it where a CQR may have trouble.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 16:28   #71

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
SaltyMetals, Thanks.

I eagerly await the opportunity to test a CQR anchor. We used one aboard Panope back in the 1980's and although the anchor provided good holding once set, it was at times difficult to set in the first place.

I chose to use a very abrupt setting technique for all these tests so as to simulate a worst case scenario.

Steve
Great research, thanks. I don't understand why more people don't dive their anchors - helps me sleep at night but also enables me to understand the nature of the seabed by looking at the setting distance and burying depth and therefore have a better understanding of what is likely to happen to my anchor if conditions change.
I also have been studying anchor setting by snorkelling over the anchor while my wife sets it - helps to more fully understand one's anchor in different seabed conditions and I then go and check out my neighbours anchors to see if I am likely to get some grief from them - it's amazing how many have no idea their anchor hasn't set. In some cases when in patchy sand I guide the exact anchor drop position for us and sometimes for others as well (self preservation).

Would you be able to add a quick title under each video to make it easier to refer back to?

TwT
Old 12-12-2015, 16:56   #72

TwT, Thanks.

Not sure why others do not snorkel their anchors but the reason I do not snorkel my anchor is easily explained: 53 degree water and (lately) 40 degree air.

The Videos are Numbered via their YouTube titles but I now see that these titles are not visible here on CF when veiwed on a mobile device. I'll add the numbered titles to the text portion of my future posts. Thanks for the heads up.

The best way to access all the videos in one place is to goto YouTube and search (or click on) my YouTube channel "SV Panope".

Steve
Old 16-12-2015, 20:42   #73

I have decided to re-test the anchors with the rode attached to the stern of the vessel. This will allow power setting of the anchors in forward gear. This should produce at least twice as much thrust as when in reverse gear.

I estimate that max power in forward gear for this boat will be roughly equivalent to 50 knots of wind (I have motored against 40 knots and the boat will make progress at less than max power).

Video # 27. Spade Anchor Deep Setting.
Old 16-12-2015, 21:49   #74

Quote:
I have decided to re-test the anchors with the rode attached to the stern of the vessel. This will allow power setting of the anchors in forward gear. This should produce at least twice as much thrust as when in reverse gear.

I estimate that max power in forward gear for this boat will be roughly equivalent to 50 knots of wind (I have motored against 40 knots and the boat will make progress at less than max power).

Video # 27. Spade Anchor Deep Setting.
Wow. That's a lot more force. Cool video.
Old 16-12-2015, 22:55   #75

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Steve - you're really to be commended for doing all this.

thank you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor