Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 23:22   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

We love our Spade, same results in real world cruising, although we are always at least 5:1. It resets so quickly we call it our mobile mooring
Old 20-11-2015, 16:00   #32

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

To the video host, Well Done! That was much appreciated and I watched most of the videos. It confirmed a few suspicions and got me very curious about the Spade (as the distributor was probably counting on, but hey, it did perform!).

Any thoughts on asking Mantus and Rocna to take a swing? Know anybody with a Kobra or Delta?

While this is only 1 bottom type, I think it is a very useful data set. The short stop simulation from the rear is also realistic, as this is exactly how I intend to use the genuine Danforth that came with the boat. However, I am now very interested in getting a Spade for a primary (until I see how Mantus does...)

Thanks again for putting this together.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:55   #33

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

tankersteve,

I did propose to Canada Metal Ltd./Rocna several weeks ago to submit a test anchor and I have not hear back from them. Can't say I blame them as I am unknown to them, acting alone and with zero oversight.

That Spade Anchor was willing to send me an anchor (on loan) is a testament not only to their confidence in their product but also an impressive display of trust. Good on them.

An acquaintance has offered is 85 lb. Mantus for testing but this probably will not happen until next spring. Stay tuned.......

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 20:48   #34

I have found two new testing areas that have seabeds with different composition than the previous area.

Let's call the first location "Point Hudson". The tidal current runs at least 3 knots here and the resulting seabed is a sandy/rock combination. The navigation chart shows the symbol "RKY" here.

I attached the rode to the "Rock Slot" of the 45 pound Manson Supreme as I was not sure of the size of the rock and was worried the anchor may become lodged between larger rock. As it turned out, no large rock was present.

However, the chain did travel to the "tripping" position of the rock slot twice during the following set with somewhat unfavorable consequences.

Steve

Old 25-11-2015, 00:49   #35

Same area as yesterdays test area (Point Hudson - a sand and rock combination).

The Manson's rode was attached to the normal position and it dug in and stayed dug in through multiple "reversals"

The Spade leaped into the seabed and stayed deeply buried. Because a strong current was running, I had to retrieve the anchor incrementally as I was alone and could not operate the boat and the windlass simultaneously.

This provided a look at four different (decreasing) scopes. Even at as little as 1.7 to 1, the anchor was still making some holding power.

I was so impressed by this performance, I sent Spade Anchor a check. I am now a Spade owner.

Steve

Old 25-11-2015, 04:06   #36

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Another great set of videos. Very interesting test on the rock slot. Still glad to have the option, as I hate trip lines. Maybe a cable tie to hold the shackle aft for most reversals would work?

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-11-2015, 06:50   #37

The cable tie Idea is a good one. Could also use heavy twine that requires a couple hundred pounds of force to break. Maybe some out-of-water testing of the concept could determine its viability.

More to ponder.......

Steve
Old 25-11-2015, 14:06   #38

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Really enjoyed your videos and I am hoping my current favorite, Mantus, steps up with an appropriately sized anchor for you to test. I'm not crazy at seeing an 85 pounder unless it is paired with an appropriately sized boat. Even still, getting away from your excellent apples to apples comparison so far.

I also think the two bottom surfaces you tested on are good representation of other cruising grounds, to include the Chesapeake.

If I had to go get an anchor RIGHT NOW, I think Spade may get my money.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 14:56   #39

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

After researching a replacement for my Delta 55 lbs on on my Outremer 45 /16000 lbs . I ended up with the spade s120 which I will mount in Jan of this year .I found your video after the fact and was obviously happy with your findings .The short scope capabilities are a big selling feature .
Thanks for your effort
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 20:22   #40

Here is a 40 lb. Luke (COPY). I am using an improved camera lash-up that puts the camera off to one side of the anchor. My preference is to not reveal the secret.

Steve

Old 01-12-2015, 06:37   #41

100 pound Fisherman.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:20   #42

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks Snow, I did not recall the brand name of the CQR. I'm planning a wrap-up video that will have some commentary (me) on deck with all the anchors in hand. I'll try and point out relevant features of all the anchors.

The CQR (copy) did have one surprising set on that 2.5 to 1 reset but ultimately released with 3,000 RPM and a little time.

All these test are being conducted within a 200 hundred meters of each other. The bottom is consistent for miles and miles.

I to am glad the world of anchoring has progressed beyond the CQR. However, this is a cqr COPY. The point being, a genuine CQR may set more reliably. I will soon demonstrate a spectacular failure of a Bruce COPY. Stay tuned......

Steve
Enjoying the series, thanks. Ingenious camera positioning. As to the CQR copy… I have found that CQR type anchors do not like to be jerk set. They set best when using the wind or backing down gently. I feel that the back down in this video was (at the outset) too fast for an effective quick set of this type of anchor. Anyhow, carry on.

Aye,

(Also) Steve
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36   #43

A decreasing scope shootout between the Manson and the Spade.

Steve

Old 01-12-2015, 20:36   #44

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Panope,

These videos with the side view are excellent, thanks for going to the effort of inventing the camera rig & showing them.

Now, when will you show us the SARCA Excel, pleeeeese
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 22:09   #45

I'll film ANY anchor!

Push, pull or drag (no pun intended) an Excel to Port Townsend and I will make it happen.

I just bought a second hand 44 pound GENUINE Bruce. That will be a perfect comparison to the Manson and the Spade. (The previous Bruce video was a 33 pounder).

Stay tuned........

Steve

Tags
anchor