Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 09:51   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
underwater anchor cam with wifi

When we anchor we set the anchor gps alarm and go for a dive (if possible) to check if all is ok. This gives us a better feeling and impression how the anchor really is down there.

Instead of this diving, I have looked for an underwater cam system with built in LED and float for the wifi, bluetooth antenna to transmit pictures on demand to a monitor on the boat, but really found nothing.

Has anybody seen or even using an affordable system to check the anchor on the ground this way?
__________________

madn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 321
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

google 'underwater drone'
__________________

Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

yes there are high tech gadgets, but I'm looking for a payable solution
madn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:20   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 321
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madn View Post
yes there are high tech gadgets, but I'm looking for a payable solution
I can't find any low-tech solution that is "an underwater cam system with built in LED and float for the wifi, bluetooth antenna to transmit pictures on demand to a monitor on the boat"
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26   #5
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,306
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Any of the gopro-type devices will do this. I have an Akaso ek7000. They're cheap. The housing is rated for, I think, 15 feet. In practice they will work at greater depths.


The catch is that sea water blocks WiFi and Bluetooth.


The only way around that is to use something that connects with a cable rather than wireless.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,146
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
I can't find any low-tech solution that is "an underwater cam system with built-in LED and float for the wifi, bluetooth antenna to transmit pictures on demand to a monitor on the boat"
Nor will you. Low cost, low tech comes from expensive R & D, followed by mass adoption by a large target audience.

You have none of that here. If people were kicking down the doors for something like this, Raymarine, B&G, and Garmin would already have product offerings.

people this worried about their anchor, tend to grab moorings or stay in marinas.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 321
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Not sure how much 'payable' is, but this is US$1000.

230ft tether and can go to 98ft deep, with real time video and pic taking ability 'for the record'

PowerVision Powerray Wizard Underwater Drone
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37   #8
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 2,055
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madn View Post
Instead of this diving, I have looked for an underwater cam system with built in LED and float for the wifi, bluetooth antenna to transmit pictures on demand to a monitor on the boat, but really found nothing.

How deep? Do you have dinghy? A waterproof plumber's camera (10m, 25m readily available with WiFi to a phone, tablet, or computer) could easily be rigged to look. Maybe $35US from Amazon.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:50   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 321
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Nor will you. Low cost, low tech comes from expensive R & D, followed by mass adoption by a large target audience.

You have none of that here. If people were kicking down the doors for something like this, Raymarine, B&G, and Garmin would already have product offerings.

people this worried about their anchor, tend to grab moorings or stay in marinas.
I was jesting that any solution to OPs query would be decidedly not 'low tech'.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Thx for the inputs. Yes dinghi, but like to have it easy ... wireless to smartphone or tablet was the idea. No fiddling with drone or cables ... any inventors online?
madn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 321
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madn View Post
Thx for the inputs. Yes dinghi, but like to have it easy ... wireless to smartphone or tablet was the idea. No fiddling with drone or cables ... any inventors online?
How are you envisioning getting the camera in a position to take worthwhile pics of your deployed anchor?

What depth do you need to reach?

What's the lateral distance from operator to anchor?
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:38   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 4,144
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Wifi, Bluetooth, and just about all the off-the-shelf, licence-free RF technologies do not travel through water. There are a number of schemes onine for wifi GoPros and clones that use a piece of RF coax with both ends cut like little dipoles at Wifi frequency, but I doubt if they'd be practical at rode length or anchor depth.

What's needed is a simple video camera with lighting that can withstand 200 ft of pressure, and about the same length of video cable (maybe with a USB adaptor at the surface end. There should be some sort of loop or pulley arrangement so that the camera can run down and back up the rode.

Of course, chain rode lies flat near the anchor, so that wouldn't really work.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 15:06   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,683
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

And I thought air conditioning on a boat was frivolous.


__________________
One should try to "Die Young" as old as possible.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 16:38   #14
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 1,592
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Yeah, it's science fiction at this point.

The best I can think up is a tether on the anchor, and a floating, waterproof camera housing, with LED light and camera pointing down. This gives you a view of the anchor from directly above. Set the length of the tether wherever you think would work, given the water clarity and how wide a field you want to view.

From that housing, another tether (data cable) to a float on the surface, which transmits the signal. And, what the heck, might as well put a solar cell on the float to power the thing, too.

It's almost possible with off-the-shelf hardware. For the right price, even I might buy one. Probably not, but it's an interesting concept.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 18:02   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 27
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yeah, it's science fiction at this point.

The best I can think up is a tether on the anchor, and a floating, waterproof camera housing, with LED light and camera pointing down. This gives you a view of the anchor from directly above. Set the length of the tether wherever you think would work, given the water clarity and how wide a field you want to view.

From that housing, another tether (data cable) to a float on the surface, which transmits the signal. And, what the heck, might as well put a solar cell on the float to power the thing, too.

It's almost possible with off-the-shelf hardware. For the right price, even I might buy one. Probably not, but it's an interesting concept.
Yes. This is probably the best you are going to be able to do. Take it from someone that designs commination equipment for a living, you can not transmit a high frequency electro-magnetic signal through seawater. Doesn't the Navy wish you could. Only very short wavelengths will propagate. So you have to cable the data to the surface.

Honestly $1000 for the drone is probably a pretty good deal.
__________________

cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, water, wifi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to set up a boat WiFi system that connects through marina's wifi MV Wanderlust Marine Electronics 25 06-12-2016 12:45
Amazing Underwater Photos of an Anchor Swivel Failing noelex 77 Anchoring & Mooring 96 10-07-2014 03:15
Underwater Video of the Mantus Anchor Setting noelex 77 Anchoring & Mooring 15 29-05-2014 21:39
Now this is cool - underwater WIFI avb3 Marine Electronics 14 16-10-2013 23:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.