Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 06:36   #61

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Not sure how much 'payable' is, but this is US$1000.

230ft tether and can go to 98ft deep, with real time video and pic taking ability 'for the record'

PowerVision Powerray Wizard Underwater Drone

Seems a good idea, until I remember how easily lines get tangled aboard. Now envision anchoring at night in heaving seas. Then sending your drone down to check the anchor. The tether gets tangled about 30 or 50 feet above the drone where you cant see it. So now you must dive on the anchor any ways to untangle and retrieve your $1000 drone.

In the seismic survey industry in which I've worked we've communicated with our underwater devices with sonar.
Old 16-09-2019, 06:55   #62

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Anything on tether or cable coming up from your anchor and floating on the surface some distance from your boat will eventually be run over and destroyed probably at night. ANd if the tether or cable is too strong and wrapped around someone's prop it may pull out your anchor in the middle of the night.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 07:22   #63

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Nor will you. Low cost, low tech comes from expensive R & D, followed by mass adoption by a large target audience.

You have none of that here. If people were kicking down the doors for something like this, Raymarine, B&G, and Garmin would already have product offerings.

people this worried about their anchor, tend to grab moorings or stay in marinas.
IMHE (In My Humble Experience) I would point to the fact that most of the sailing people are worried about their anchor, and most of them in temperate waters go snorkeling and diving to see their anchor. What almost nobody does is testing the anchorage in rear increasing progressively the pull of the motor. Wonder why.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:29   #64

Boat: MJM 50 Z

How about a viewing hood? Very old school, go out in the dinghy over the anchor and stick the window in the water.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:01   #65

I had a friend who bought thing that looked like a bucket with the bottom cut out and replaced with a clear bottom. Put the bucket in the water and it's like looking through a snorkel mask. I think he got it at West Marine so it must be reading available.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:17   #66

Hey folks, thanks for all those inputs, tipps and hints !!!

Its really great to hear all this knowledge and experiences. Actually we really would like to stay on the boat and to look on a monitor or open the app to see how it's holding.

Seems that it needs to be invented, maybe one big one reading -)
madn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:27   #67

I got this one. https://www.sofarocean.com/products/trident
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:58   #68

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

There are several of these to chose from. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/aqua...ULsA&gclsrc=ds
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I had a friend who bought thing that looked like a bucket with the bottom cut out and replaced with a clear bottom. Put the bucket in the water and it's like looking through a snorkel mask. I think he got it at West Marine so it must be reading available.

I have one of these onboard. IF the anchor is not to deep and the water is reasonably clear you can see it very well from the dinghy
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	199953
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 14:20   #70

Boat: Macgregor 26D

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the anchor type.
I sleep great at anchor because the anchor I use sets every time. (Not kidding!) It sets in my lawn with rode only!
I've got rid of my other anchors!
My anchor for my Mac26D is a Mantus 17. And the stern anchor is a Mantua 13.
I anchor where I want. (not in rock)
It sure is nice knowing that it the wind shifts overnight my anchor isn't going far. I've never even seen it reset after a wind shift. It stays put.
I have 6' of 1/2" chain on the end of my 1/2" rode.
Seriously look into new anchor technology. Mantus isn't the only revolutionary anchor out there. Check YouTube for guys doing direct comparisons. You will be shocked at how bad some big name anchors are.
I sail Georgian Bay and the Great Lakes.
Marty
finding41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 16:27   #71

Your wants are not really practical if you think about it. It’s sounds like you want constant monitoring while at anchor but prefer to be wireless. The only problem with this set up would be after you overcome the wireless connection you have one big defeating obstacle. And that’s battery life. If your not hard wired to the surface then you are dependent on camera battery life, which is minimal at best and transmitting either WiFi or blue tooth will reduce battery time even further in essence negating the practicality of your set up. So if your looking for a affordable way to just check your anchor set and not need constant monitoring look into fishing cameras such as found online at bass pro shops or similar retailers.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 04:43   #72

Boat: Ericson 28+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Not sure how much 'payable' is, but this is US$1000.

230ft tether and can go to 98ft deep, with real time video and pic taking ability 'for the record'

PowerVision Powerray Wizard Underwater Drone
That's great, but where we anchor was is at least 180' to 220' of the island. No shallow spot except on the north side of the island.
As stated, the only real way is something tethered to the depth of where you are at!
drivn2ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:35   #73

Navatics actually makes the exact thing you are looking for. Wifi buoy with 500m range and everything. It's not cheap but I have no idea how you could build one of these yourself.

https://www.navatics.com
BeardMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 18:37   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardMilk View Post
Navatics actually makes the exact thing you are looking for. Wifi buoy with 500m range and everything. It's not cheap but I have no idea how you could build one of these yourself.

https://www.navatics.com
That drone looks pretty cool, but... $1,599 USD... I don't know, that's quite a few bills.
Old 14-12-2021, 07:50   #75

Boat: Elan, Y, 7m

There is only one commercial product currently on sale for this situation and it is called VisionAnchor.
It has an anchor buoy with a data cable that connects to an underwater camera and the buoy has a Wifi antenna so it can transmit video from the camera to a smart phone.

For a DYI solution you can use a GoPro + coaxial cable, but this solution is not wireless. I have tried it and it works fine.
I followed the instructions from this video:

Andrej2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, water, wifi