Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 12:50   #1

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Ultra Swivel - opinions?

This from here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-152584.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, we've been using an Ultra swivel for three years on our Ultra 45kg anchor without any problems, in fact... it solves problems. It works great. We live on the hook six months per year in the Med. We never pay to go into a marina.

When you begin using an Ultra swivel with galvanized chain, you'll need to cut off the last two links once every six months due to friction and galvanic corrosion. Not a big deal. No issues at all if you have stainless chain.

These from this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/anchor-swivel-attachment-17253.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I have done a lot of anchoring from the bow without a swivel in the past with no issues. On my new boat with a remote windless control at the helm I find the special Ultra swivel very useful. This devise flips the anchor over if it comes up backwards or sideward and takes a lot of load off the entire rig. The Ultra swivel is a ball and socket type. The swivels that are not ball and socket have been known to fail do to repeated un toggled lateral stress and are a poor choice for the job particularly stressed if they come up to the roller and jam at the wrong angle across their toggle plane. So I do see a use for a good ball and socket swivel if you have a remote windless application on your boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Anchors coming up bass akwards is a bit more of a problem when the anchor weighs more than you can lift. I have an Ultra flip swivel that is rated stronger than the 1/2" G4 chain I use and flips the anchor to the correct position every time. A bit easier than trying to rotate a 176# anchor with a boat hook in one hand and the windlass control in the other.

Anyone else use an Ultra Swivel? Experience good, bad, or indifferent?

Ultra Anchors

Marine FLIP SWIVEL CHAIN - Swivel for sale

(IOW, I think I'm not asking about Quickline's Ultra Flip Swivel, but rather the one possibly made in Turkey by Boyut Marine and offered by the Ultra anchor people...)

Edit: Hmmm... maybe I am talking about Quickline's Ultra Flip Swivel. The first search I did presened Quickline swivels that were NOT what I'm interested in. But now I see here http://www.quickline.us/ultra-swivel.aspx that it looks like the same thing as offered on the other sites. Clarification welcome.

Our current articulating swivel presented our SuperMax anchor turned 180° around, yesterday. Turns out it could stand a little lube...

But then in the meantime, a dock neighbor has just been showing me his new Ultra anchor and Ultra Swivel... and the orientation control sounds useful.

-Chris
Old 08-09-2015, 15:47   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Ultra Swivel - opinions?

My opinion is that it's expensive.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:33   #3

Instead of using a swivel just let the anchor hang for a moment until it untwists.
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:36   #4

Boat: PT-11

why start a whole new thread?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Take a look at this article on swivels in Practical Sailor. It's pretty damning and they recommend against their use.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Take a look at this article on swivels in Practical Sailor. It's pretty damning and they recommend against their use.
That's because the article was written before the Ultra swivel existed. Have you ever seen one in person? Way overbuilt, heavy duty are words which come to mind.

All swivels are not created equal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	108688  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04   #7

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Taking the price of $480 for 3/8" chain out of the equation, one has to balance the possibility of the swivel opening, and thus failure, under heavy side loads, with its ability to correctly position anchor in chocks.
The specs indicate that the swivel can take heavy side loads - up to 30 degrees - but there are times, rare as they may be, when heavy side loads well exceed the 30 degrees. They could be up to 90 degrees.
And it's at the time of heavy side loads that you absolutely cannot afford to have a catastrophic anchor failure.
As they say "You pay your money and you take your chances"
Personally, I'll stay with my traditional swivel. Unquestionably.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:45   #8

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Alex and I are usually against using swivels because in most cases they are not necessary and the swivel becomes the weak link in the system for many reasons. Most swivels do not do well with lateral force applied, which is why attaching the swivel to a section of chain is better than attaching it directly to the anchor. Many swivels also have parts that cannot be inspected and have a tendency to stay wet and corrode.

We have an Ultra Flip Swivel and if you feel you really need one (e.g., anchor always comes up backwards for whatever reason), then this is about as good as you can get. It doesn't have any parts that cannot be visually inspected, it is beautifully engineered of the highest grade steel, it allows lateral motion, and it really works well to orient the anchor properly before it reaches the bow roller. It is expensive but it comes with a 3 year warranty.

We've written extensively about our experience with swivels and an article about swivels can be read on our website.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
My opinion is that it's expensive.
Yes, I eventually discovered that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Instead of using a swivel just let the anchor hang for a moment until it untwists.
Yeah, yeah. Sometimes doesn't work, and it's a 50-lb anchor that I can't reach very well to hand-twist, if it's bound up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
why start a whole new thread?
Inadvertence, actually. Early search returns suggested to me that the "Ultra Swivel" and what Quickline calls the Ultra Flip Swivel" were two different animals. Sorry.

Quote:
Yep, had seen that, years, ago, and reviewed again recently. Along with their article about the UFS8 recall in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
We have an Ultra Flip Swivel and if you feel you really need one (e.g., anchor always comes up backwards for whatever reason), then this is about as good as you can get. It doesn't have any parts that cannot be visually inspected, it is beautifully engineered of the highest grade steel, it allows lateral motion, and it really works well to orient the anchor properly before it reaches the bow roller. It is expensive but it comes with a 3 year warranty.

We've written extensively about our experience with swivels and an article about swivels can be read on our website.
Thanks, that helps. I had already reviewed your article,. It happens our current big swivel (i.e., on this anchor) is a Suncor articulated product like you have pictured second above the Ultra.

FWIW, most times, the articulated Suncor works OK. IOW, it actually swivels (and I can usually reach down and rotate the anchor, should that be necessary. And the articulated joint bends itself over our roller sorta OK.

Happens on Monday the sucker wouldn't actually swivel when we were bringing the anchor back aboard. That turned out to be from lack of use. Afterwards I was able to check it out, free up the swivel function, all back to normal.

Another FWIW, our pulpit/roller doesn't perfectly cooperate with the long-ish shank on our current anchor... so I have to lift the thing onboard, the last couple feet, by hand anyway. Which means I have to be right there, can't be doing that last bit from the helm. At least with this anchor/pulpit/roller combo.

But it always seems useful to be thinking ahead... and I appreciate the various input. Including the cons associated with swivels and with stainless.

-Chris
Old 09-09-2015, 15:03   #10

I am getting the new Mantus swivel, it cannot be side loaded and is actually the strongest part of the anchor system.
Don Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Somewhere around 2000 nights at anchor and have dragged twice. Never had a swivel and never saw a need for one.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, blueazimuth, & Don Pedro.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19   #13

Quote:
Somewhere around 2000 nights at anchor and have dragged twice. Never had a swivel and never saw a need for one.

That's not particularly germane to the question: "Anyone else use an Ultra Swivel? Experience good, bad, or indifferent?"

You might hum a few bars about whether your anchor has ever presented itself backwards while recovering, though... and if it has... how much it weighs, how easily you can reach it to correct, whatever other technique you might have used to fix it, etc.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2015, 04:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post
I am getting the new Mantus swivel, it cannot be side loaded and is actually the strongest part of the anchor system.
Thanks for mentioning that; didn't know they had one.

Doesn't look like it has a self-righting feature of any sort -- not a bad thing, but that's what caught my eye about the Ultra, given that I recently enjoyed the chore of manually turning our anchor when our current swivel was a bit recalcitrant.

-Chris
Old 10-09-2015, 05:13   #15
cruiser

Do I win the contest for most beneficial contribution?

I'd have to say, go for it! You'll be very pleased with the swivel, our anchor comes up the correct way every time, no more fussing.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote