Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 08:06   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Ultra Marine Anchor

Whilst at the boat show this week in Annapolis, MD.. I stopped by the Ultra Marine Booth to look at their anchors. They look very high quality... the tiny demo they had, (as well as video playing) looks pretty impressive. However, that could all just be for show. Thought I would come out here and see if I could find any info on them. (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike our search function here?!?!)

Does anyone own one or used one, and is it worth the price differential over other basic plow anchors..
Here is a link to the anchor..

https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/anchor
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:47   #2

Re: Ultra Marine Anchor

I've been using an Ultra for almost 10 years and love it. It seems to work especially well in grassy/kelpy bottoms because of the weighted tip. I've never had it fail to reset after a wind/current change.

That said, most of the other "new age" anchors (Rocna, Manson, Mantus, Spade) are vastly superior to my previous CQR and Delta at both setting and resetting. My old CQR held great once well dug in but this often took several tries and I had to get up in the middle of the night if the wind changed to "check" the anchor. It would often not reset.

I chose the Ultra because it was the best fit for my bowsprit roller of the new anchors (no room for a hoop). It would have cost more to reconfigure the roller than pay the extra for the Ultra.

If you like this style of anchor, look also at the quite similiar Spade (galvanized version)
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:57   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Ultra Marine Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Whilst at the boat show this week in Annapolis, MD.. I stopped by the Ultra Marine Booth to look at their anchors. They look very high quality... the tiny demo they had, (as well as video playing) looks pretty impressive. However, that could all just be for show. Thought I would come out here and see if I could find any info on them. (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike our search function here?!?!)

Does anyone own one or used one, and is it worth the price differential over other basic plow anchors..
Have you tried the Advanced Search? There are probably 7346 threads on anchors...

And if you haven't yet read and memorized all those...

From reading, the Ultra seems to have a good following. I see a lot of 'em on the Fleming fleet the lives here, as one of the two anchors they usually mount. OTOH, that might also be influenced by looks. ne dock neighbor put an Ultra on his boat -- because it looks good; he hasn't anchored out in probably the last 20 years. Not meaning to take away from them, though; they seem to work well for many, and it's likely the shape, size, and weight relationship that works more than the shiny stainless.

That said, Rocna, Mantus, Manson, Spade, Fortress, SuperMAX, SARCA... and maybe 5-10 others... all currently seem to have a good rep too. Mostly depends on holding ground, the whole ground tackle system (anchor, rode, swivels maybe, windlass, etc.), and technique... and some anchors will mount better on some bows than others.

-Chris

Tags
anchor, marine