Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 13:59   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Ultra Flip Swivel - Anyone Using One?

At the risk of starting another vitriolic debate on anchor swivels, I'm wondering if anyone has real-life experience with an Ultra Flip Anchor Swivel. Even though it's terribly expensive, it does address a specific problem I have.

If you're using one, do you think the purchase was worthwhile? Does it work as advertised? Have you had any failures?

I thank you in advance.

Ultra Flip Swivel | Quickline USA
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:34   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Ultra Flip Swivel - Anyone Using One?

Yes, I use the 1/2 inch model with Maggi G7 5/16 chain. Why so much bigger? I used to have 3/8 chain so there it was only one step oversized until I got new chain. Even though they claim astronomical MBLs I wanted the extra security since it is subject to large side loads. It is a beefy bit of kit and does indeed right the anchor each time. I recommend it. Only trick was finding shackles strong enough that would fit the chain. 3/8 Crosby G209A shackle is now my weakest link.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:28   #3

Just looked at their site.. wow ..they are very proud of their product
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:46   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Yes, I use the 1/2 inch model with Maggi G7 5/16 chain. Why so much bigger? I used to have 3/8 chain so there it was only one step oversized until I got new chain. Even though they claim astronomical MBLs I wanted the extra security since it is subject to large side loads. It is a beefy bit of kit and does indeed right the anchor each time. I recommend it. Only trick was finding shackles strong enough that would fit the chain. 3/8 Crosby G209A shackle is now my weakest link.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:44   #5
cruiser

Yes, we've been using an Ultra swivel for three years on our Ultra 45kg anchor without any problems, in fact... it solves problems. It works great. We live on the hook six months per year in the Med. We never pay to go into a marina.

When you begin using an Ultra swivel with galvanized chain, you'll need to cut off the last two links once every six months due to friction and galvanic corrosion. Not a big deal. No issues at all if you have stainless chain.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, we've been using an Ultra swivel for three years on our Ultra 45kg anchor without any problems, in fact... it solves problems. It works great. We live on the hook six months per year in the Med. We never pay to go into a marina.

When you begin using an Ultra swivel with galvanized chain, you'll need to cut off the last two links once every six months due to friction and galvanic corrosion. Not a big deal. No issues at all if you have stainless chain.
Thank you.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:04   #7

Boat: Bristol 45.5

This Swivel is the next thing going on the boat .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Each one of our swivels has be tested to be at least 2000lbs stronger than the chain it is attached to. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasi Breaking Strength.PNG
Views:	201
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	129992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasi.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	129993  

Attached Images

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 08:49   #9

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Each one of our swivels has be tested to be at least 2000lbs stronger than the chain it is attached to. Take a look.
Careful. That's tensile strength. They have to be stronger when you get past the 30 deg rotation. That's why my Ultra is 2x oversized.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:33   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Careful. That's tensile strength. They have to be stronger when you get past the 30 deg rotation. That's why my Ultra is 2x oversized.
The head rotates 360 degree on an axis and it tilts 30 degrees. This helps the swivel "move out" of a bind. Due to this design feature it is very rare to have an extreme side load and when it happens the robust construction of the Wasi Powerball handles it without bending the forks.

Looking at the ( 1st picture ) the fork is bent at just around 30 degrees, if it was able to move freely , like the Powerball ( 2nd picture) it would not have bent.

The Powerball is the only swivel Spade Anchor endorses as it is stronger than the chain it is attached to and side loading is not an issue.

I am sure in the next 5 years this will be a standard feature on swivels. We are innovators and companies love to imitate us. What is the saying "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bent swivel.PNG
Views:	183
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	130048  
Attached Images

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We were just at the Toronto boat show yesterday and for the first time Ultra Anchors had a booth there. We Went to the boat show">Annapolis boat show a couple of years ago to but our Ultra Anchor . Yesterday bought the swivel , nice piece of gear . I am looking forward to giving it a try in the spring. Review pending .

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote